StudentsReview :: The Rhode Island School of Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA

The Rhode Island School of Design

As this is my personal review on RISD,Super BrilliantIndustrial Design
As this is my personal review on RISD, a little background on 'me'- I am the type that relishes hard work and criticism. It is how I learn. (Comment 1- RISD is not for the softhearted, which it shouldn't if it's going to prepare you to go into the real world in four years).

However like mentioned by previous reviewers, a lot of this work might seem redundant or like 'busywork'. This is partly because RISD is a heavily 'technical' school, if you are unaware. It is a bit 'outdated' this way- for example in the ID department we focus a lot more on metal and woodworking than any other school and less on the 'design'. But I personally like that, because in my opinion, if you want to go far, strong basic knowledge in your major is exactly the thing we're suppose to be learning in undergrad. Yes you could ask a school to teach you 'creativity', and for freedom to 'try your own projects', but to be bluntly honest at this point do you have enough SKILL to support your creativity (which btw is not something that can be taught).

Be aware though, if you are not someone who have a self-organized system that enables you to glean what needs to be learnt from the mass of information shoved at you, you might verywell be lost. But it's a wonder what you can learn if you step back from the mundane 'work'- it is also this work that enables you to do the stepping back.

I personally was and am very disappointed at the (majority of) staff and resources here. RISD doesn't seem to provide helpful aid in, well any way. But the students here are amazing, brilliant, but most of all motivated people. I learn 90% the time more from peers than the professors.I love RISD. I am an international student and I received quite substantial amounts of scholarship from many other schools, but like a senior student once passed down to me I will pass to you all- if you want to thrive in the long run come to RISD, it might be hard to find normal employment right off the bat because what it has equipped you are the 'things' essential to become leaders, not followers.

4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C
The experience that you get out of RISDBrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
The experience that you get out of RISD is directly proportionate to the motivation you bring to it. There are a number of large egos here but they are the minority and tend not to outlast the beatings they take. I note that many of the negative reviews are from 1st years. I resented the $ when I was there, but in retrospect, I have to say that many of the shortcomings I criticized the institution for were actually my own. I would love to go back, the place is like a very expensive Art-based Hogwarts. If you can pay the freight, the education you receive will be good and will sweeten with time and experience. I think this place teaches you to think creatively and interdisciplinarily like nowhere else.
Starting Job: Independent designer; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A
I'm going to keep this short and sweet.Quite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I'm going to keep this short and sweet. If you absolutely know you want to go here and are extremely passionate about pursuing your art career, go here. It's truly a great school.

Every negative review on here is mainly people who thought art school would be fun, or people who hate one small thing so they decide to bag on everything else. You have to really know you want to go here to like this school.

The surrounding town is great, the people are friendly. Yes, there are weird people, but there are everywhere. The professors will critique you A LOT. Just be prepared for it. Remember, they're there to make you a better artist.I have had a great experience here. I made great friends, I fell in love, and I have became an even more incredible artist than I was when I first got here. I highly recommend this school.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B
Compare RISD/RIDSave RISD/RID

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→