StudentsReview :: The Rhode Island School of Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA

The Rhode Island School of Design

Now that a few years have passed, IAverageDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Now that a few years have passed, I can say confidently that I rather regret going to RISD I can clearly remember my first impression of my first class. I entered expecting everyone to be an amazing artist and that was hardly the case. Rather, what I discovered was a very high concentration of wealthy, entitled students with limited actual ability.

Because RISD frequently tops the list of best art schools, it is an international magnet for the offspring of the immensely wealthy. During my time there the campus celebrities included a few hollywood actors, a Saudi prince, the children of many famous figures in the art world and a member of one of the wealthiest families in Europe (actually, contrary to my general argument, she was a remarkable talent).

After graduation, and especially in today's struggling economy, what becomes very clear is that the well-connected students will be just fine. Four years out, most have found decent jobs with their parent's support. Since in most creative industries unpaid internships are considered entry-level positions, it important to have some external support while filling that role. Lately, there has been some criticism regarding this with many making the argument that working without pay makes living in the metropolitan areas unrealistic. I can say with certainty that for a significant enough subset of the population, that is not the case. In fact, quite the contrary, the leisure class is perfectly able to fill those positions, admittedly few in number, and thus from a supply side there is really no reason to offer a living wage.

As for the education at RISD, I found it rather frustrating. I belonged to the graphic design department and during my time there the curriculum was stubbornly, stupidly print focused. During my sophomore year, in a class led by a tenured instructor from Switzerland, we spent nearly the entire term designing the cookbooks.

Classes are broken up into two general categories: studios and liberal arts. Studios are typically scheduled in 6 hour blocks with two main components critique and work time. Crits can be rather grueling. The workload at RISD is exhausting with a lot of competition between student to outdo each other. It is common for people to arrive with in progress work or with something finished a few minutes before. In cases where people have scheduled several consecutive days of studio classes, there is simply not enough time to come up with well conceived projects so the feedback is generally inane and useless.

The order of a crit is also significant. Because most people get sick of talking after a few hours those who show their work first get much better feedback than those who wait till the end. Paradoxically, everyone is usually afraid to go first.

Having transferred from a University, my opinion is that the liberal arts courses are generally not very demanding. Most instructors understand that they are catering to a student body for whom academia is a secondary concern and that their employment is rather in service of the school's college accreditation. That said, the liberal arts instructors, particularly the adjuncts, are exceptionally bright and class discussions are often very lively. Occasionally, you do come across faculty who take their material seriously and as a student and RISD this can be treacherous. Since all liberal arts courses are electives you might spend all of your time reading Foucault with a large project in your degree program due the next day. Most students are savvy to this. The course on birdwatching (yes, really) always fills up very quickly, is held in a lecture hall, and has a very competitive wait list.

The best classes are usually held during the winter session term which spans a few of the years coldest months. These courses are usually lead by graduate students and so their subject matter is usually current and the pacing is often sympathetic to the realities of being a full time, self supporting student.

I often look back on my experiences and wonder if they were worth the expense and the time I spent there. Having left the east coast after graduation, virtually no one I might has heard of the school and saying that you went to college at a school for design suggests you spent your early twenties dancing in fairy dust and chasing the moonlight. Nor has my degree guaranteed against long stretches of unemployment. For a certain privileged group, it is a fine option and for everyone else, frankly, i feel for you because there are not many good options.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Individual Value: A+, Education Quality: F
Even with the (rare) generous merit scholarship awardedAverageFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Even with the (rare) generous merit scholarship awarded to me, I feel that RISD is one of the biggest mistakes and worst investments I have ever made. Since my graduation I am unable to get an interview, let alone employment. For four years I have felt my brain rot as the only education available involves fellow students beginning statements with the phrase "I feel like..." Professors are adept at criticism but evasive when asked for advice. I leave RISD with the sense that I have no higher education, and I strongly suspect much of my high-school education has died of neglect. The majority of students have little to no understanding of current events despite trying to make relevant work. The trick, of course, is to make thought-provoking work without doing any thinking. That RISD so ignores the necessity of at least mediocre academic education is baffling--a typical Artist Statement by a student at RISD more closely resembles a hastily composed Yahoo! user comment than a professional statement.

Perhaps the most redeeming quality about RISD is its student body and the various potential connections a student can make. While there is no doubt that networking is important, if a school's only redeeming qualities can be reaped at a party, skip the school and go to the party. A frank word of warning: In terms of social stratification, RISD is America's own little Versailles. At RISD I was not merely a student there on scholarship--I was a peasant. I was shocked by the comfort with which teachers spontaneously ordered their students to purchase a large amount of expensive supplies during class time with no thought as to whether or not said student has any of these items already at home (off campus, half an hour one way) or (gasp!) does not have the money necessary at hand. I have regularly been forced to decide between buying supplies and food during my time at school, and have still had the unfortunate experience of being singled out by a professor in class for my financial shortcomings.*

For a school that prides itself so much on being able to dole out critique, RISD as an institution absolutely incapable to hearing it. The vote of no confidence from the faculty is not heard, the complaints from the student council are not heard; and in due time, a chipper email will be sent to every student and faculty member reassuring them that their critique has fallen on deaf ears.*I will concede this happened only once, but it was unacceptable professionally and personally just plain dickish.

Preparedness: F Reputation: D+
I am currently a freshman at RISD, andQuite BrightUndecided
I am currently a freshman at RISD, and to be honest I've been disappointed by the education I've been receiving so far. Yes, there is a good amount of work, especially in the freshman year, but quite a bit of it seems arbitrarily time-consuming. I've found that my instructors have supported innovation, but they want a certain breed of creativity. Whenever I've attempted to push limits by departing from the original prompts and elevating my work to a developed conceptual exploration (such as creating an installation for a drawing class) I have been punished for not following directions. I was expecting more support of development of our individual ideas. I also expected more provocative and energetic professors, when this past semester I found that a majority of my instructors were more focused on finding ways to waste class time than actually instilling any new knowledge or skills in us. I've also found that this is not a school for anyone who comes from a family that isn't well-to-do. Coming from a family with very little money, and going to RISD on scholarship, I've found that everyone that goes here, including the faculty, assumes that you have money. There are often frivolous and unnecessarily expensive items on my supply lists, and prior to going here I've never felt so marginalized due to my social class. There are also plenty of amazingly talented people here, but there are also quite a few people who, for lack of a better phrase, bought their way in. This school seems to be alright with accepting underqualified students as long as they'll pay the tuition, and the lack of integrity I've witnessed (such as my own room-mate's, who has plagiarized multiple assignments) has reached a point that I've lost faith in this institution. I'm currently applying to transfer out of RISD next year, because even with a nearly full tuition scholarship, the financial burden is still significant, and the insulting lack of passion I've seen here has led me to conclude that a lot of this school is BS.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: A, Individual Value: D

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→