StudentsReview :: The Rhode Island School of Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA

The Rhode Island School of Design

As this is my personal review on RISD,Super BrilliantIndustrial Design
As this is my personal review on RISD, a little background on 'me'- I am the type that relishes hard work and criticism. It is how I learn. (Comment 1- RISD is not for the softhearted, which it shouldn't if it's going to prepare you to go into the real world in four years).

However like mentioned by previous reviewers, a lot of this work might seem redundant or like 'busywork'. This is partly because RISD is a heavily 'technical' school, if you are unaware. It is a bit 'outdated' this way- for example in the ID department we focus a lot more on metal and woodworking than any other school and less on the 'design'. But I personally like that, because in my opinion, if you want to go far, strong basic knowledge in your major is exactly the thing we're suppose to be learning in undergrad. Yes you could ask a school to teach you 'creativity', and for freedom to 'try your own projects', but to be bluntly honest at this point do you have enough SKILL to support your creativity (which btw is not something that can be taught).

Be aware though, if you are not someone who have a self-organized system that enables you to glean what needs to be learnt from the mass of information shoved at you, you might verywell be lost. But it's a wonder what you can learn if you step back from the mundane 'work'- it is also this work that enables you to do the stepping back.

I personally was and am very disappointed at the (majority of) staff and resources here. RISD doesn't seem to provide helpful aid in, well any way. But the students here are amazing, brilliant, but most of all motivated people. I learn 90% the time more from peers than the professors.I love RISD. I am an international student and I received quite substantial amounts of scholarship from many other schools, but like a senior student once passed down to me I will pass to you all- if you want to thrive in the long run come to RISD, it might be hard to find normal employment right off the bat because what it has equipped you are the 'things' essential to become leaders, not followers.

4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C
I'm going to keep this short and sweet.Quite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I'm going to keep this short and sweet. If you absolutely know you want to go here and are extremely passionate about pursuing your art career, go here. It's truly a great school.

Every negative review on here is mainly people who thought art school would be fun, or people who hate one small thing so they decide to bag on everything else. You have to really know you want to go here to like this school.

The surrounding town is great, the people are friendly. Yes, there are weird people, but there are everywhere. The professors will critique you A LOT. Just be prepared for it. Remember, they're there to make you a better artist.I have had a great experience here. I made great friends, I fell in love, and I have became an even more incredible artist than I was when I first got here. I highly recommend this school.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B
I am content with my time at RISD.Quite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I am content with my time at RISD. I am almost halfway through my Senior year here and like everything in life there have been ups and downs, but more ups I would say. I have really lucked out with nearly all of my professors in my department and in Liberal Arts. I can only name one or two teachers who were really disappointing and I believe both of them are no longer employed at RISD. In my Department, we are required to take critique classes as well as a Seminar which I am in now that basically teaches us the "business" of the art world we are entering. I feel fully prepared to apply for grants, jobs, and to graduate institutions. I am fully involved and motivated in MY OWN art, which is the most important thing I am taking away from RISD. Even in a troubling economy, I don't feel RISD has failed me in any way, even if attaining jobs and grants is difficult for me later. My teachers have taught me how, so getting the things I want falls on MY shoulders now. I do think that some facilities could be improved upon, and that there should be MORE studio space (I have a studio, but I wish it were bigger...). I attended European Honors Program, and believe that it is the most enriching experiences RISD has to offer, and I highly recommend applying for it. However, on the program I also found the facilities at RISD's Rome Campus sub-par. I don't like Providence. I think it is a charming town to visit but it is boring and the people here are dull. I am tired of it... That being said I MAINTAIN that I chose RISD for the education, and though it was hard being a younger student here, the older I get the more I can appreciate how worthwhile RISD's faculty, resources, and reputation is to my future as an artist in the real world. RISD is hard, but you WILL make good grades in through sophomore, junior, and senior years because you won't pass freshman year if you can't hack it. I haven't made below a B- in any class and the only people I know who failed classes freshman year no longer attend RISD. YES, ITS REAL HARD WORK. Not just drawing from still lives which gets you NO where in the art world today. RISD is for serious contemporary artists. I want to speak to freshmen or incoming freshmen to choose your majors wisely, and visit the faculty of the departments. You can always switch majors if you don't feel you are getting what you want out of a department. Printmaking and sculpture faculty are realistic and engaging. I don't feel the same about some of the other fine arts departments.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011