StudentsReview ™ :: The Rhode Island School of Design

Males 1
Avg years at University 3.0

I attended Rhode Island School of Design for

Nov 28 2010Education
I attended Rhode Island School of Design for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees. My first experience was in the Graphic Design Department, one of RISD's larger programs. It was a very positive experience, otherwise I would not have returned four years later for my Masters.

Unfortunately, my experience as a graduate student was not as positive. In fact, I have nothing positive to say about RISD's Department of Teaching + Learning in Art + Design (their Art Education department). The MAT program only had 8 students my year, yet I still had trouble getting personal attention from the department head, who was also my advisor.

When another student plagiarized my work, my concerns were completely dismissed. She was never spoken to and her grade remained the same. I was also required to continue publishing my work online in order to graduate.

Despite the fact that I graduated with a 3.9 GPA and received a grant from RISD (from a panel not my department) to continue my work, my advisor, who oversaw my student teaching, taught a course that I took and is also the department head, did not write me a recommendation until three months after graduation. I asked months before graduation.

I chose RISD's MAT program because of the school's reputation and the size of the department, in addition to their claim that 100% of their graduates are employed shortly after graduation (this is false). Overall, the head of this department seems more concerned with making his department look good than the actual development of his students.

n/a

RISD is a fantastic place for graduate students

Sep 23 2006Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
RISD is a fantastic place for graduate students in graphic design. I cannot extend my assessment past that, however, as the school is notoriously balkanized, and each graduate program has its own parameters. In GD, tho, the professors are all worth knowing; if they're not friendly and helpful, they are at the very least entertaining characters.

Ranking Similar Schools by Education Quality