StudentsReview :: Roger Williams University - Comments and Student Experiences

Amherst College -- Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Roger Williams University

Reflecting on my two semesters at RWU IBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Reflecting on my two semesters at RWU I can honestly say it is for a very specific type of person. RWU is kind of like a large private high school. Most of the kids here are white and have money, socially you can make friends if you get along with your floormates. I was really good friends with most of the people in my hall which made it a lot more fun. If you're looking for parties, they exist if you're an attractive girl or a guy whose willing to drop bills on ubers and alcohol. Parties do get busted pretty fast but occasionally you'll find a good one. Most of the freshman take the RIPTA and go to shitty clubs in providence to overpay for drinks. If you make friends here you can make the best of it but if you want to be a loner no one will bother to talk to you. The food is overrated, it's better than most places but really repetitive and you'll get sick of it. The campus itself looks quite nice and the dorms aren't bad. If you're a freshman and you get placed in Cedar you'll have fun. Maple is pretty trash and is everyones last choice. I lived on Cedar 2 and the RA was super chill and it was a great experience. Academics wise this school has some good programs. If you aren't going to major in Architecture, Engineering, Business or a marine science this school is not worth it for you. The Gabelli school of business is pretty professional and the classes are reasonably challenging. The Core curriculum is kind of annoying but the professors are pretty easy for most of them. The university is on the beach but the beach is used primarily for kids to smoke weed and occasionally throw parties.Overall, if you are a white kid who didn't get into any elite private schools but still want a salvageable college experience than this isnt a bad option. Although I would not recommend going into debt to go here. RWU is what you make of it, i've made great friends here and I've experienced a lot, it has its negatives but it's not all bad.
1st Year Male -- Class 1921
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C-
If I were speaking to a friend whoBrightPsychology
If I were speaking to a friend who was interested on going to Roger Williams University, I wouldn't let them go. The school is "fine" in my opinion. You'll like it if you fit the profile of: extremely white, stereotypically preppy, a guy who wears bright colored pants and padagonia on the regular (I'm not kidding... It's most of the campus), drives an Audi or BTW casually at age 20... Need I go on. If I could describe the school in two words, it would be- WHITE and CLIQUEY. It's not normal and it's stifling. If you're a person of color, they will be taking pictures of you and posting it for ads for the school like a zoo animal- be aware of this. Typically, 60% of a class will have dropped out or transferred by their sophmore year. Frats dont exist. Sororoties dont exist. And it's 1/2 an hour from providence and around 35ish minutes from Newport (note- you're not allowed a car on campus until Sophmore year- good luck going out). The campus is pretty during the off season (Summer/Spring). But most of the time you'll be there, it's beyond cold. The winter wind whips you in the face 24/7 from October-Mid March. They sell you the school's pretty campus when you visit, but will you actually be going to school there in July? Nope. Now imagine going to the beach in December- not fun. The acceptance rate is almost at 80% because over 1/2 of each class leaves due to social issues, mental health or the cost. The school is expensive and the debt is not worth the education. I graduated from RWU without student loans, but I would never go into debt for this school. You'll get a better education (and probably just an overall better college experience) at URI or PC. Most of the student body struggles with depression and the counseling center is packed 24/7. I graduated in Psychology and the department was decent. I took some interesting classes and I though the program was fine, nothing too too special. The professors can either be very nice and helpful or they have a bit of a power complex. I've met a coupld gems throught different departments but honestly they're far and few in between. Also, (I can't stress this enough) the school does not help you get an internship and you will be alone trying to find a job. They help you set up a linkedin and how to make a professional resume, how to talk in an interview.... Hopefully most of you can do this on your own. But when it comes to connections and opportunities- I havent seen many. They have a career fair that you're forced to go to but the employers there wont apply to you unless you're buisness, marketing, engineering, management, or (sometimes) teaching. Your social life won't be much until you turn 21 and can go to the two bars in town. The off campus parties are underwhelming and fairly difficult to get into. And when you do get in, the Bristol PD will shut that down within an hour- you can count on that. I met some good people during my time at RWU and got a decenf education, but would I do it again? Absolutely not. Some people do like it at RWU, but like I said, they're a very specific type of person (see above).
4th Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, Scholastic Success: F
This school sucks onBrightArchitecture
This school sucks on helping student adjust to college life. The counselling center was not helpful because due to canceling appointments for me and on other students. The housing department was condescending with my disability not taking my rights seriously.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2019