StudentsReview :: Roger Williams University - Comments and Student Experiences

Amherst College -- Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Roger Williams University

I graduated from RWU May '16 and have
I graduated from RWU May '16 and have had some time to reflect. I used this site a lot when I was making my choice to go here and I always found the most useful reviews to be the ones that stayed objective, so I will try to do that in my own review. I should mention though that my time at Roger is unique to me, just like your time at which ever school you choose will be unique to you. College, like everything in life, is what you make of it. That being said, I felt like I had to try extra hard to make lemonade out of the lemons Roger handed me. Here are some of the pros and cons of my experience broken down by category(compared to the kinds of resources/ experiences my high school friends had at different colleges, as well as based on the school I am currently attending for my Masters).

Academics:
I studied architecture and the program was great. I really think that RWU is one of the best architecture programs in its league on the East coast. I came here because the university emphasizes a core curriculum that exposes ALL students to courses from many different fields (philosophy, sciences, writing, math, etc). This was important to me, especially since most architecture programs are so rigidly constructed. I was able to get a liberal arts education and an architecture degree, which was huge. This also gave me the opportunity to double major, which I may not have been able to do elsewhere (I think its worth noting that I constructed my own second major...so if you don't see the major you want in the offerings this may be an option for you and you should look into making it happen).

Campus and Resources: The campus is beautiful. It really is. I think that the resources could be better, but for a small private college they are doing okay. I now go to University of Oregon, and the two are just on different levels. It would be like comparing apples and oranges... so again...for a small private college, its okay. The gym is nice, the dining services are exceptional, the printing services could be better, and the internet is mediocre. With the exception of one time when I couldn't find ANYWHERE on campus to bind a presentation, I was never upset with what the school had to offer.

Clubs, orgs, and campus life: Alright, there's no way to sugarcoat this part... social life on campus is lousy. Really just the worst. There isn't enough money to support the clubs adequately, but that doesn't even matter because the students are the most apathetic group of people I have ever experienced. It's numbing. Nobody DOES anything. I hope so desperately that this changes as the university matures, because its a toxic environment. Its so hard to explain to outsiders too because I've never experienced anything like it in my life. Everyone is just so caught up in themselves that they can't be bothered with anything else. I know people who met their "people" here and it was smooth sailing for them, but I also know a lot of people like me who never belonged and it was rough. I felt like I was a prep school, not a university. I was surrounded by a very immature, uninspired group of individuals.

Surrounding area: The coast is beautiful, and there is a wide variety of things to do in about an hour radius. Newport, Providence, Bristol, Boston...its all right there. I also had a friend in the outing club who went to the White Mountains for the weekend. If having a car is an option for you I would HIGHLY recommend it. My quality of life skyrocketed the one year I had a car. The campus itself is kind of awkwardly positioned between highway and ocean so without a car its just a lot more difficult to feel like an independent person. If you can't have a car, the bus is an option too but...a car would be way better.

Overall: This was long as is but I have so much more I could say about this place. At the end of the day Roger Williams is an alright school. I think it has its flaws, but its still growing into itself. Remember that its only in its early 60's. If I wasn't set on studying architecture, or was willing to move away from the east coast for college I would not have come here, however neither of those were the case. If you're studying a degree other than architecture or biology I would suggest considering other schools.

When I first started looking for schools IBrightUndecided
When I first started looking for schools I had no idea what I was getting into. RWU is not as it seems to advertise, which is a given at any school. It's housing is ridicuslously expensive but most of the dorms are shit. Students are mainly very shallow, stupid, and actually really lame to put it in better words. There are certain social niches and people you might find relatable or different and smart, but they are few and even those choices are limited. i looked up the studentsreviews before I came and was discouraged by the negative comments saying the social life sucks, people suck, and basically all the typical attributes at RWU, but I wanted to go and like it so badly that I put on a positive attitude and figured it really is what you make it and the comments were biased. and it is, but there really isn't much to make out of it and i learned that those negative comments were actually quite right, even for people like me who can have a good time anywhere. my first year i was friendly, open to everything and everyone, and made a good time for myself, and made good friends. however, after that it started getting stale on campus and even off around the surrounding area. branching out at this campus is extremely difficult if you are of a unique personality which i think many people are but they are rare here for some reason. this school is perfect and suitable for those in the surrounding new england area since everyone is from around there mostly or new york and everyone either knows each other or are similar so they have lasting experiences. i have been to all aspects of the social life, from partying and going out at nights, smoking to numb the boredom, and just about everything, and yes did let myself have a good time, but it gets old very fast and even going to the city or clubs and bars is tasteless and not as fun as other colleges are. in a way the experience i concluded with here is just...lame. even the few people i became friends with became stale company and attempting to breaking away and finding better more like-minded people is difficult because people here are needy and unimaginative and cannot think outside of themselves and their cliques and are afraid of meeting new people. aside from social environment, the education is lacking unless you are in law, architecture, communications, and marine bio. teachers are critical yet their assignments are jokes and the advisors are useless in making sound life or academic decisions. they will fuck up your transcript. transferring is not the best option, it is actually a huge risk which might ruin your future and it is best for you to suck it up all 4 years but if you know of better then go for it. i know many people who are the typical students here and are happy. the girls are spoiled, judgemental, poseurs, and dress up to go to a shoddy small get together to have nattys spillt on their going-out forever21 dresses by drunk beefy and extremely predictable dumb bros, take milllions of facebook pictures, and probably hook up with said bros and those bros will probably talk about their latest lays at the gym as they often do, focus on sounding overtly masculine, try to talk like the rappers they idolize, and everyone will eventually graduate and the girls will graduate with and marry the bros that felt them up over a handle of burnettes and they will have children, live in their partents' homes, and teach kindergarten and become alcoholics. if this traditional northeast life sounds familiar and true to you, then come here. there is a feeling of lacking at this school, that makes it unlike a true college experience. everything is just less than mediocore and the only people having blasts are the sheltered graduated high school students from surrounding areas.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F
The school of business is a mixed bag.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
The school of business is a mixed bag. There are some great professors that really care about the students. They can tell you what working in accounting, management, marketing or computing will be like after you graduate. They teach you the stuff you'll need to know. There are also a bunch of profs that don't give a sh__. They show up, teach and go home. They can' really tell you anything about what its like to be a manager or an accountant. All they do in class is go over the same stuff that's in the text. Going to class is pretty much a waste but attendance counts so you have to go. The value you get really depends on the profs you pick. Be sure to ask before you pick classes. Make sure the people you ask are looking for a great class not just an easy A.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2012