StudentsReview :: Roger Williams University - Comments and Student Experiences

Amherst College -- Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Roger Williams University

This school sucks.AverageBusiness - Management and Administration
This school sucks. It takes them forever to do something for you and they are always looking to take money away from you. For the amount of money you pay to go to this school it is definitely not worth it at all. The night life sucks, there is absolutely nothing to do after class unless you have a car and feel like spending a crap load of money in Newport or Providence which are about 45 min away. The sports at the school are absolutely horrible, my High School teams can beat them and there is no football at all and probably never will be for another 25 years, also people rarely go to the sporting events. Not to mention the school is devision 3 where our best sport is sailing, so if you would like to watch High School all over again then the sports here are all you. But me personally I would like to be apart of the NCAA at least division 1AA, even though the school says they are apart of the NCAA they are lying, the NCAA basketball tournament isn't big at all at this school. As far as partying, good luck with that. You can't have a party or go to a party without it getting broken up with in the first 15 min by either police or the school itself. You will find that there are many students who transfer out after their freshman year because Roger Williams has an "over night camp" feel to it, doesn't feel like you are in college at all.Oh and the people in RI hate Roger Williams students. I don't know how many times I have been asked if I went to Roger Williams and when I told them "yes" they just laughed and walked away. So if you do end up going to this school, which I recommend that you don't, but if you do don't tell anyone your from Roger Williams because people will be much nicer to you.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2010
Faculty Accessibility: B-, Education Quality: F
If I were speaking to a friend whoBrightPsychology
If I were speaking to a friend who was interested on going to Roger Williams University, I wouldn't let them go. The school is "fine" in my opinion. You'll like it if you fit the profile of: extremely white, stereotypically preppy, a guy who wears bright colored pants and padagonia on the regular (I'm not kidding... It's most of the campus), drives an Audi or BTW casually at age 20... Need I go on. If I could describe the school in two words, it would be- WHITE and CLIQUEY. It's not normal and it's stifling. If you're a person of color, they will be taking pictures of you and posting it for ads for the school like a zoo animal- be aware of this. Typically, 60% of a class will have dropped out or transferred by their sophmore year. Frats dont exist. Sororoties dont exist. And it's 1/2 an hour from providence and around 35ish minutes from Newport (note- you're not allowed a car on campus until Sophmore year- good luck going out). The campus is pretty during the off season (Summer/Spring). But most of the time you'll be there, it's beyond cold. The winter wind whips you in the face 24/7 from October-Mid March. They sell you the school's pretty campus when you visit, but will you actually be going to school there in July? Nope. Now imagine going to the beach in December- not fun. The acceptance rate is almost at 80% because over 1/2 of each class leaves due to social issues, mental health or the cost. The school is expensive and the debt is not worth the education. I graduated from RWU without student loans, but I would never go into debt for this school. You'll get a better education (and probably just an overall better college experience) at URI or PC. Most of the student body struggles with depression and the counseling center is packed 24/7. I graduated in Psychology and the department was decent. I took some interesting classes and I though the program was fine, nothing too too special. The professors can either be very nice and helpful or they have a bit of a power complex. I've met a coupld gems throught different departments but honestly they're far and few in between. Also, (I can't stress this enough) the school does not help you get an internship and you will be alone trying to find a job. They help you set up a linkedin and how to make a professional resume, how to talk in an interview.... Hopefully most of you can do this on your own. But when it comes to connections and opportunities- I havent seen many. They have a career fair that you're forced to go to but the employers there wont apply to you unless you're buisness, marketing, engineering, management, or (sometimes) teaching. Your social life won't be much until you turn 21 and can go to the two bars in town. The off campus parties are underwhelming and fairly difficult to get into. And when you do get in, the Bristol PD will shut that down within an hour- you can count on that. I met some good people during my time at RWU and got a decenf education, but would I do it again? Absolutely not. Some people do like it at RWU, but like I said, they're a very specific type of person (see above).
4th Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, Scholastic Success: F
This is a beautiful school on Mt hopeAverageBiology
This is a beautiful school on Mt hope bay and they will sell you and your families to ensure your money. but what they won't tell you is that it's all a scam. I lived in a cold dark and moldy room my freshman year. nothing was ever done about this btoken and disgusting dorm building. I was treated like a child by most adults I met like I didn't matter. on top of that the average kid at this school is rich, white and dumb. also this year I got another room with mold in the heater and I have to take a shuttle to class which never seems to be on time. lastly public "safety" will he watching your every move and will search your room without a second though. they don't care about your privacy or education. they want the parents money and the glory of having a "pretty school".
1st Year Male -- Class 2017