StudentsReview ™ :: Roger Williams University - Comments and Student Experiences

Amherst College -- Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Roger Williams University

I am about to enter my second semester

Jan 19 2014Undecided
I am about to enter my second semester at Roger Williams University and I wish that I had gone anywhere else but here. First of all, they lure you in with the perfectly manicured lawns and beautiful vistas. I will give the school that, it is a gorgeous campus; however, its beauty does not balance out the fact that this school is a waste of your time and money.

Basically my work load is so underwhelming that I am paying for an extremely expensive gym membership. My 14 year old brother easily has more homework than I do, and from what I understand more thought-provoking class discussions than what I've endured over the last semester. Is it a new thing to not participate in class? There has been more than one class where it is just the Prof and I having a conversation while the rest of my classmates sit there drooling on themselves not even aware what day it is. Sometimes I think that some of my fellow students need to be reminded how to breathe. I have had some of the worst professors of my life at this school. I feel like my intellect is decreasing every second I spend here.

If you consider yourself a person that thrives off of being around strong and independent individuals then do not even consider this school for another second. I have never been more frustrated being around others than I have been at RWU. I am living with children. This college is more or less high school, except you cannot leave. And the immaturity does not stop with the Freshman class! There are plenty of upperclassmen that should still be in diapers for all I'm concerned.

I wish someone would explain to me why on Earth this school is nicknamed "Rager" Williams because let me riddle you this, the parties are some of the stupidest gatherings I have ever wasted my time at. Basically, a party at this school entails drinking in a dorm room that you are stuffed into and forced to stand around looking at all of the idiots around you because nobody is ever interested in actually socializing. Every time I get dragged out I always see girls who are apparently impervious to the elements and walking around in no clothes. I'm sorry but don't these people have friends to tell them they look absurd? Going out is a waste of beauty sleep and make-up.

I find it ridiculous that this school claims to have 5,000 students. WHERE ARE THEY ALL? Every weekend the campus is completely dead because basically everyone who can escape (you cant have a car first year) flees to go hang out with their significant other at URI.

The town of Bristol is quaint, quiet, and windy as all hell. Beautiful sea town with a lot of patriotic history; however, it is unbelievably boring. Although there is a great nail salon right in town that has single handedly saved my sanity at this god awful institution.

The public transit (RIPTA) is the worst creation of all time. It is either 10 minutes early or 30-40 minutes late. Rhode Island is the size of a Wheat Thin, how hard is it to make it on time to the stops?

Providence is cool if you have something already planned out, if not, you just end up spending too much money on pointless bullshit in order to mask the unhappiness you feel attending this school.

Ultimately, I am transferring after the second semester. This school has a terrible freshman year retention rate and now I understand why. So far, they have done nothing in their power to make me want to stay. I cannot wait to attend a real college and begin feeling like I am doing something worth while with my time.

Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

All-in-all I was happy with my experiences at

Jan 13 2010Psychology
All-in-all I was happy with my experiences at RWU. I'm happy I chose this school, I learned a lot, but it did not give you the autonomy of a large school. I had the opportunity to study at a large university for a semester and enjoyed the culture of it much more. If you are some one who likes a tight, closer, socially-knit campus RWU is perfect. However, if you think you want the traditional American college experience ie> football on Saturday, Frats/Sororities, strong school identity (Picture PSU students or Michigan grads) you may want to look elsewhere.
4th Year Male -- Class 2004
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: C

First off: College is what you make of

Apr 11 2011Biology
First off: College is what you make of it!!! So this is an opinion its not objective at all.
If your rich and you want to get a college degree with no passion and you just like fitting in instead of being interestingly individual this is the place, you can act like your in highschool and get through with a sub-par education UNLESS you are in Architecture! Architecture program is engaging and difficult.

Location: Roger williams University is in Bristol RI and believe me its beautiful! but there is NOTHING TO DO without a car. and the RIPTA bus is very bad, I'm from metro Boston so I ride the T all the time this bus is horrible the RIPTA smells, and the people are terrifying. Getting off campus is difficult and annoying without a car.

Professors/Academics: The professors are AVERAGE Architecture is excellent, that is probably their best but anything else is sub-par, the professors are not challenging and some are too nice and difficult to work with. The Math department is really really BAD and the science is catered around Marine Science so if your into Marine Science your fine but premed, biomedical stuff its awful. English and humanities are taught by totally inconsistent teachers but nothing different than most colleges. Besides the Math department its not a bad school, just really fake and not passionate about academics.

Social life: This is where Roger williams suffers, the kids are cliquy, cliche, predictable and unintelligent mostly. The smart ones are really easy to pick out because everyone else is lacking in intelligence. The girls are EXTREMELY GOOD LOOKING... man but they are cliche and only date the classic douche with a chinstrap beard and a backwards fitted hat. so unspontaneous no one here wants to take a chance. Like if one of them was reading this they'd probably be like "dude ill fight you" thats how childish they are. If you find the right people your fine but other than that good luck.BTW: The campus looks amazing!! and the food is great!! so if you can afford it and thats the most important thing to you then come here, but if you have a chance to go somewhere better GO!

1st Year Male -- Class 2014