StudentsReview :: Roger Williams University - Comments and Student Experiences

Amherst College -- Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Roger Williams University

Feb 28 2014Engineering Department

You can choose any major,except for Engineering. run for your life

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Useful Schoolwork: B+, Individual Value: F

Roger Williams has a culture that embraces genuine

Mar 09 2014Business - Management and Administration
Roger Williams has a culture that embraces genuine learning for those who work for it. Sure, there will be classes you don't care for and you do need to put in the effort. Overall, though, there is tremendous opportunity for intellectual and personal growth. If you are willing to step up to the plate, RWU faculty and staff will be there to coach you and help you build the knowledge and skills that become a foundation for a lifetime of achievement.
Starting Job: Marketing Director Preparedness: B+ Reputation: C

Roger Williams has been an amazing experience for

Feb 21 2014Art & Design Department
Roger Williams has been an amazing experience for me so far. I am only a second semester freshman, so I'm still learning as I go. There are things that I love about it, but at the same time there are things I hate.

The campus is obviously in a beautiful setting. I think people overrate just how beautiful the campus is though. Theres many parts that are unbelievabley beautiful, but others that are kind of gross (i.e. where some of the dorms are). The food here is amazing, theres a lot to choose from (sandwiches/wraps/paninis, mexican, stir fry, grilled foods, pasta, pizza, etc). Theres always something to choose from, except sometimes I get sick of the food ; however the take out options aren't horrible. The location of the school is ok. Theres really not much to do on the weekends, unless you want to sit on the disgusting RIPTA for a solid 40 minutes. I personally snuck my car on campus, honestly, public safety here are assholes, they ticket like crazy. Theres no way I can be stuck on this campus for more than two weeks because I go crazy! The town of Bristol is really cool, lots of restaurants and small shops, beaches and parks, but other than that there is nothing to do. Newport is definitely a great place to escape, and I guess Providence could be too. To me, Providence is a poor excuse for a city, so unless you want to go shopping at the mall, don't expect much more to do.

The education here is better than people give it credit for. Obviously this isn't Yale or Harvard, so I don't really know what they expect. People criticize some for coming here, and that they can't get in anywhere else. I also got into other schools like Quinnipiac and Drexel, but I thought Roger Williams was equally as qualified. I came in as an engineering major, but I changed to graphic design and visual arts. They really focus mainly on architecture, engineering, and business at this school, so I am applying to transfer, but I don't know if I actually will. The classes really aren't as challenging as I expected them to be. I can honestly half ass my work in a matter of minutes and still receive an A. All of my professors so far have been pretty great, and I've formed relationships with them. As long as you put in effort and stay organized, you'll be fine.

I've made amazing friends here at RWU. I was fortunate enough to become best friends with my floor mates, which makes living in my dorm more fun. Sometimes I feel like the school is an over sized high school. People are EXTREMELY clicky, and tend to stick in groups. People are snotty, rude, and think they're better than you; however, there are a ton of down to earth people. I only have 3 or 4 friends on campus that I consider genuine life-long friends, the rest are just there. I do have a ton of other "friends" though, and its nice to recognize people as you walk to class or are in commons. Honestly, as long as you are yourself, people will gravitate towards you. College is less judgmental than high school.

Parties at the school are overrated. People say "Rager Williams", but trust me- there ain't no ragers. You can either go to the beach where everyone huddles in circles, or you can go to a stuffy dorm room and sweat your ass off. I've only gone to a handful of parties on campus, and they all sucked. It's all just a bunch of people on top of each other sweating because it's so hot. (Not to promote drinking, but unless you're extremely intoxicated, there's no point in leaving your room). The beach is fun because, well, who doesn't love the beach? The only thing is a lot of people do drugs there, and it's risky. Personally, I just hang out with a group of friends in our dorms and it's still just as fun for us. Overall, college is exactly what you make of it. All the people on here can moan and complain about the school, but it's their own fault. The school doesn't make you feel shitty, you make yourself feel shitty. As long as you be yourself, make some friends, work hard, and have a positive attitude, you'll love it. Not everything is about the aesthetics of the campus, the attractiveness of the students, or the loyalty of the professors. You're here to get a degree, not live the high life.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017