StudentsReview :: Roger Williams University - Comments and Student Experiences

Amherst College -- Amherst, MA
University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Roger Williams University

If I were speaking to a friend whoBrightPsychology
If I were speaking to a friend who was interested on going to Roger Williams University, I wouldn't let them go. The school is "fine" in my opinion. You'll like it if you fit the profile of: extremely white, stereotypically preppy, a guy who wears bright colored pants and padagonia on the regular (I'm not kidding... It's most of the campus), drives an Audi or BTW casually at age 20... Need I go on. If I could describe the school in two words, it would be- WHITE and CLIQUEY. It's not normal and it's stifling. If you're a person of color, they will be taking pictures of you and posting it for ads for the school like a zoo animal- be aware of this. Typically, 60% of a class will have dropped out or transferred by their sophmore year. Frats dont exist. Sororoties dont exist. And it's 1/2 an hour from providence and around 35ish minutes from Newport (note- you're not allowed a car on campus until Sophmore year- good luck going out). The campus is pretty during the off season (Summer/Spring). But most of the time you'll be there, it's beyond cold. The winter wind whips you in the face 24/7 from October-Mid March. They sell you the school's pretty campus when you visit, but will you actually be going to school there in July? Nope. Now imagine going to the beach in December- not fun. The acceptance rate is almost at 80% because over 1/2 of each class leaves due to social issues, mental health or the cost. The school is expensive and the debt is not worth the education. I graduated from RWU without student loans, but I would never go into debt for this school. You'll get a better education (and probably just an overall better college experience) at URI or PC. Most of the student body struggles with depression and the counseling center is packed 24/7. I graduated in Psychology and the department was decent. I took some interesting classes and I though the program was fine, nothing too too special. The professors can either be very nice and helpful or they have a bit of a power complex. I've met a coupld gems throught different departments but honestly they're far and few in between. Also, (I can't stress this enough) the school does not help you get an internship and you will be alone trying to find a job. They help you set up a linkedin and how to make a professional resume, how to talk in an interview.... Hopefully most of you can do this on your own. But when it comes to connections and opportunities- I havent seen many. They have a career fair that you're forced to go to but the employers there wont apply to you unless you're buisness, marketing, engineering, management, or (sometimes) teaching. Your social life won't be much until you turn 21 and can go to the two bars in town. The off campus parties are underwhelming and fairly difficult to get into. And when you do get in, the Bristol PD will shut that down within an hour- you can count on that. I met some good people during my time at RWU and got a decenf education, but would I do it again? Absolutely not. Some people do like it at RWU, but like I said, they're a very specific type of person (see above).
4th Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, Scholastic Success: F
This school sucks onBrightArchitecture
This school sucks on helping student adjust to college life. The counselling center was not helpful because due to canceling appointments for me and on other students. The housing department was condescending with my disability not taking my rights seriously.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2019
Extracurricular Activities: B-, Individual Value: F
Roger Williams has to be the biggest jokeQuite BrightAccounting
Roger Williams has to be the biggest joke of a school. I was a great person throughout my life. In high school I was on national honor society and was an honor role student. My 1 year at RWU was good because of the friends I made and the knowledge I gained at my classes. But the school made me seem like I'm a horrible person by the countless times I got written for things that didn't make sense. Family and friends all think differently of me because of how I got written up snd it does not reflect the person who I really am. The school straight out ruined my life for a person that had high goals and dreams. Now I will be having problems trying to get jobs for my future because of what the school has done to me. I would highly suggest you never attend this university because it is far too expensive and all they care about is the money. Choose your plan B school because I guarantee it will be the best decision of your life.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018