StudentsReview :: Salve Regina University - Comments and Student Experiences

Providence College -- Providence, RI
University of Rhode Island -- Kingston, RI

Salve Regina University

When I was first admitted to Salve Regina,Quite Bright
When I was first admitted to Salve Regina, a wise friend advised me that it was primarily a school for "rich underachievers." And they couldn't have been more on point. The student body is composed mainly of very wealthy students, fresh from prep schools around the country. While at Salve, I got the sense that most students were attending on their parents dime, with little drive or motivation to truly excel or be great. Despite the beautiful backdrop of the ocean, I found SRU to be uninspired and unapproachable. Unless you have been touched by privilege of some sort, it is difficult to make meaningful friendships. Most of Salve's hidden gems transfer before their junior year. A shame. I felt intellectually and mentally hindered here. I often find myself wondering what might have been if I had attended a more intellectual school.

The social scene is mostly off campus. I had several strict RA's who seemed bent on causing trouble for other students. Drug and alcohol policies are VERY strict, as are noise regulations. To the point that one might feel like they are under the supervision of the gestapo. As one who likes to "live and let live", I found it extremely nerve-wracking and, once again, stifling. This, of course, will depend on your individual experience.

Academics--I was lucky enough to have some great professors, who were inspiring and went above and beyond. But this isn't a top notch academic school, obviously. With a fairly gratuitous acceptance rate and fairly small graduating classes, it's no Ivy League or even state-school research facility. That being said, the professors are lovely and dedicated and make do with what they have.

Student Services-the registrar and similar services never gave me trouble, but I know many others who went thru absolute hell. Approach with caution.

Financial Aid-Salve is outrageously overpriced for what you receive. That being said, if you have TRUE need, they will help you out. In fact, SRU was the only university I could actually afford to attend. Many points for this, Salve.

In sum--this place is a continuation of prep school. Caters mostly to privileged white students. If you can go somewhere else, go there. If you have to go to Salve, know that you'll get a great faculty and some individual attention, if you're into that type of thing.

5th Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Salve Regina University is known as a beautifulBrightNursing
Salve Regina University is known as a beautiful campus, surrounded by water, in the middle of Newport, and full of mansions. It sounded exciting for sure, and I know I was awestruck the first time I visited. I remember being impressed and excited when I first visited Salve. A community atmosphere was portrayed, and I felt welcomed.

That could not be further from the truth. Moving in, and living my first semester was an extreme eye-opener for me. It was difficult to make friends without having any common rooms, and an RA who did not organize any group activities.

Most of the teacher's are adjunct professors, and could care less because when they are teaching you, it's not their primary job. It is extremely difficult to find a tutor when you need help, and even more difficult to find trustworthy friends.

Another big social set-back for this school was, if you were not an athlete, and did not like to party every single weekend, it was practically impossible to meet a variety of people from different grades, which is what college is supposed to be about.

Because the upperclassmen are so spread out around campus, it is so difficult to meet people like you, unless you want to spend every waking minute with them by playing sports or being on the Campus Activities Board.

Many students are also extremely standoff-ish and snooty. Exactly what you would expect from Newport. These kids are entitled and unapproachable. If you had a great time in high school, and you enjoyed the clique's and the need to impress people around you, and worry about what they might be saying behind your back, this school's the school for you.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Faculty Accessibility: F
I transferred to Salve as a sophomore.Quite BrightEducation
I transferred to Salve as a sophomore. I had no problem finding a great group of friends. You definitely need to spend at least one year living on campus to meet people and find your friends. Academically, Salve is great and very competitive. Your professors want to see you succeed. They are one of the best resources that Salve has. Your classes are small, and you will be known. Salve is a small school, so it only will appeal to students interested in a small setting. Socially, it is whatever you make it. It definitely gets better once you're 21, as Newport is a bar town. Overall, I never want my years at Salve to end.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
Compare SRUSave SRU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→