StudentsReview :: Salve Regina University - Comments and Student Experiences

Providence College -- Providence, RI
University of Rhode Island -- Kingston, RI

Salve Regina University

I am a secondary education and history majorQuite BrightEducation
I am a secondary education and history major at salve regina. I love my professors and my classes are okay, not too challenging but they get the point across so I will become a good teacher. The academics are fine but they do not offer enough electives to finish your intended major the way that you want to and there is a lack of professors, maybe 3 or 4 history professors with one being the department head.

My problem with the school is the campus life. If you are a girl and you are being harassed or something happens to you...forget going to campus life because they do nothing about it. I was being harassed and they simply put in a no contact order and nothing else happened to the kid. This was after going to my RAs multiple times about his behavior. The only person that did do something was my boyfriend who threatened him. They then proceeded to to ban him from campus indefinitely even though they did not interview anyone except for the person threatened (who was harassing me) and his girlfriend who was not even present for any of the events. They did not reprimand the kid that was harassing me at all and it was not even a slap on the wrist not to do it again.

Campus life is extremely hard to talk to as they never pick up the phone, they never respond to emails and they always tell you that they have to talk to other people before they can give you an answer...if they have to talk to so many other people what is campus life there to do besides get paid for doing absolutely nothing.

My case was not the first case that was swept under the rug either. They discourage girls from going to the police to keep their school crime rate down so that parents feel safe sending their child there. But dont be fooled, there are plenty of crimes on campus that simply will not be reported because of the sexist males that they place in the campus life authority seats. Needless to say I would like to transfer but Salve offers a lot of financial aid and some students, like me, are forced to stick it out to get a degree and then never come back again.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: F
I went to Salve last year and wasAverageNursing
I went to Salve last year and was a nursing major. I thought that the nursing program was challenging and probably one of the better majors available on campus but definitely not worth paying the absurd amount of money to go there. Aside from academics, after one semester there I decided the school was not for me at all. I did not enjoy my freshman year at all and it was definitely not what I had expected at all. I chose the school because of the location instead of doing thorough research on the school. The only good thing that came out of my one year there was my roommate. The people at Salve need a serious reality check if they want to make it in the real world. I was able to find some very genuine people but the majority of people I met I did not want to associate with them at all. My advice if you are interested in going to Salve is look at every aspect the school has to offer. If you are going for a generic major that is offered at other colleges check out other colleges. If you are really interested in nursing or education check out Salve because they have good programs. Fortunately I transferred my sophomore year and I could not be any happier to have moved on from Salve and I am actually in an institution filled with open minded people which I believe is what a college should be. Salve is essentially a glorified boarding school filled with students who need to be introduced to the real world and not have a limo take them home when the school year is over.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Maintenance: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Salve's an average school.BrightUndecided
Salve's an average school. Academics are good but not nearly worth as much as you pay for them. You'll like Salve if you basically enjoy the idea of a practically all white, all catholic, all girl, all nursing, all rich, and private, expensive, and mediocre school. Newport is great yeah...if you have $100 spending money everyday to experience downtown. Doesn't seem like I'm open minded and unbiased, right? I read reviews about Salve being a small minded and overated school.I said to hell with it, college is what you make it. I learned the hard way. Good luck making college "your own" while surrounded by almost all condescending or confused girls 24/7, paying absurd amounts of money to live by a beach that is covered in snow half the time.... and knowing almost all of your student body by the 2nd semester. It's high school all over again, and thats what some people want, more power to you. Oh yeah the mascot is a seahawk and every male on a DIII team is convinced they're getting drafted to the NBA, MLB, or NFL. Choice is yours.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016