StudentsReview :: Salve Regina University - Comments and Student Experiences

Providence College -- Providence, RI
University of Rhode Island -- Kingston, RI

Salve Regina University

Honestly, I hate all of the students at

Aug 21 2012Criminal
Honestly, I hate all of the students at Salve. All the guys are tools trying to get laid, and all the girls are boy crazy and terrible drunks. Honestly save your time and go to a different school that actually has social events. Walking down the main road through campus on a friday night or saturday night, and seeing how dead everything is, is so annoying. Majority of students transfer after one year.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Extracurricular Activities: F

Salve is a very unique campus

May 05 2012Undecided
Salve is a very unique campus. The location is gorgeous and the city of Newport loves the students.
The University tries its very hardest to supply students with fun activities. Although most of the activities are silly crafts that are supposed to keep us from drinking, they are pretty fun and gives you something to do.

The night life isn't great...but what do you expect when going to a Catholic university in Newport, RI? There are house parties, but they are pretty hard to find if you aren't apart of sports team and if you're a freshman. There is always dorm raging though--which happens every weekend. You just have to find your own fun.

Classes are very small, which is actually nice. My biggest class has had maybe 35 students. It's nice having your professor know you by name, and they do whatever possible to make you succeed and make themselves available. They are all great! Professors are surprisingly strict with absenses, thought. Most only let you miss 3 and then they start marking off your grade. But it's motivation to go to class.

I've heard that people think that it's just a whole bunch of stuck up rich kids- that's not true. Yea, there are a lot of people with a lot of money, but they are not stuck up. I have met some pretty amazing people and money is never a topic of conversation. No one intentionally flaunts their money or makes people feel poor. There are "cliques," but it's a small school. And it's not like you're typical high school "clique"- you'll find friends from all different groups. Everyone is very accepting!Overall, I have enjoyed my time here at Salve. People complain and a lot transfer, but it's mostly because they come here with unrealistic expectations. It's not a party school and the University is very involved in your freshman year, but they are doing it for your best interest. Every upperclassman has told me that it gets SOOOO much better once you're done with freshman year. I'm looking forward to my next 3 years at Salve!

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B

Looking back on my experience at Salve, I

Jul 02 2012Nursing
Looking back on my experience at Salve, I can honestly say that I had the best 4 years of my life.
I remember that first semester freshman year I was convinced I wanted to transfer. I am soooo glad I decided to stay because I met some of the nicest people-made lifelong friendships, and got involved so I really felt like I was a part of something.

I went to other schools to visit friends, and had a blast, but after leaving was so thankful I didn't actually go there full time. Being surrounded by Newport provided lots of things to do. From ice skating downtown in the winter, free cone day @ Ben & Jerrys, St. Pattys Day Parade, Restaurant Week, walking the cliff walk & ocean drive, going to rejects beach or first beach, and even venturing into Providence for the day...the list goes on. The free RIPTA pass you receive as a freshman made it easy to get downtown and to prov./boston if need be. You need to make your own fun.... which is a pretty easy task since there is so much to do.

From my time freshman year, to when I graduated senior year the school made so many improvements (from the food, to student life, as well as athletics and academic departments) which makes it even harder to come to terms with the fact that I will not be returning this fall. Granted there are a few more things that would be nice to have (a bigger gym maybe? or a dunkin on campus...) but I truly can't believe how much the University has listened to surveys and actually done something about the negative aspects.

My advice to the new freshman is to get involved in something whether it may be sports, music, a job on campus, dance, a club, intramurals, or even just going to the gym and getting out of your room! Put yourself out there a little more than you normally would. Yeah it's going to suck at first you just left the place you've lived for probably your whole life & going to want to make friends... which doesn't come in the first week or even the first month. So be patient. Give everyone a chance. Not everyone is going to be just like you and you might not be best friends with everyone so keep an open mind.

Study & work hard, but play harder. Some of the classes I took and things I have learned I will take with me and are a part of how I look at the world, and how I view my life in it. Put the time in to study and take away significant lessons which may change the way you look at certain things. Make sure you study but take time to do fun stuff too. Go to games, BBQs, & all the freshman stuff bc your never going to get to do that again. Salve's pretty strict with drinking on campus... but you'll figure it out once it comes to Thurs-Sat nights just give it time.Hope this helps :)

4th Year Female -- Class 2012