StudentsReview :: Salve Regina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Rhode Island -- Kingston, RI

Salve Regina University

Nov 14 2012Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am currently a senior in high school and visited Salve Regina last month. Visiting the campus, I wasn't too thrilled at all.

To me, the campus is very important when I pick a school.
CAMPUS:
The buildings are very spread out from each other, so be prepared to do A LOT of walking. Getting lost is also very easy - not too many people are willing to help you. I wasn't too fond of the way the buildings were spread out; I wish they were relatively closer to one another. But then again, that's just my personal preference.

The buildings, on the outside, are very old, unique, and look like castles.
When visiting the Biology/Lab classrooms, I WAS NOT happy at all. The classrooms looked like middle school rooms, they were filthy, small, and messy! The equipment did not look high-tech at all, and there were more than enough fish tanks everywhere.

The science teachers were not at all what I expected. They had thick, hard-to-understand accents, and seem uneducated in what they were speaking about - which could be a barrier when you learn.

The library was tiny! If you've ever visited Quinnipiac, you've seen the hundreds of books and computers they offer to their students, whereas Salve had around 20. Not a fan.

DORMS:
The dorms were what I expected. They had a new freshman hall, which was very nice.
PEOPLE:
When I visited, all I saw were girls, girls, girls, and more girls - everywhere. I probably saw about 5 boys upon my three hour visit.

This school lacks diversity, that's for sure. Majority of the people who attend are white and rich. Most likely their parents pay for everything. They are snobby and obnoxious. The only boys I saw from Salve were loud and rude, and acted as if they were still in high school.

I saw no asians, and about two blacks visiting the school.Overall, I didn't like Salve at all. Not applying.

Aug 21 2012Criminal
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Honestly, I hate all of the students at Salve. All the guys are tools trying to get laid, and all the girls are boy crazy and terrible drunks. Honestly save your time and go to a different school that actually has social events. Walking down the main road through campus on a friday night or saturday night, and seeing how dead everything is, is so annoying. Majority of students transfer after one year.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Extracurricular Activities: F
Jul 02 2012Nursing
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Looking back on my experience at Salve, I can honestly say that I had the best 4 years of my life.
I remember that first semester freshman year I was convinced I wanted to transfer. I am soooo glad I decided to stay because I met some of the nicest people-made lifelong friendships, and got involved so I really felt like I was a part of something.

I went to other schools to visit friends, and had a blast, but after leaving was so thankful I didn't actually go there full time. Being surrounded by Newport provided lots of things to do. From ice skating downtown in the winter, free cone day @ Ben & Jerrys, St. Pattys Day Parade, Restaurant Week, walking the cliff walk & ocean drive, going to rejects beach or first beach, and even venturing into Providence for the day...the list goes on. The free RIPTA pass you receive as a freshman made it easy to get downtown and to prov./boston if need be. You need to make your own fun.... which is a pretty easy task since there is so much to do.

From my time freshman year, to when I graduated senior year the school made so many improvements (from the food, to student life, as well as athletics and academic departments) which makes it even harder to come to terms with the fact that I will not be returning this fall. Granted there are a few more things that would be nice to have (a bigger gym maybe? or a dunkin on campus...) but I truly can't believe how much the University has listened to surveys and actually done something about the negative aspects.

My advice to the new freshman is to get involved in something whether it may be sports, music, a job on campus, dance, a club, intramurals, or even just going to the gym and getting out of your room! Put yourself out there a little more than you normally would. Yeah it's going to suck at first you just left the place you've lived for probably your whole life & going to want to make friends... which doesn't come in the first week or even the first month. So be patient. Give everyone a chance. Not everyone is going to be just like you and you might not be best friends with everyone so keep an open mind.

Study & work hard, but play harder. Some of the classes I took and things I have learned I will take with me and are a part of how I look at the world, and how I view my life in it. Put the time in to study and take away significant lessons which may change the way you look at certain things. Make sure you study but take time to do fun stuff too. Go to games, BBQs, & all the freshman stuff bc your never going to get to do that again. Salve's pretty strict with drinking on campus... but you'll figure it out once it comes to Thurs-Sat nights just give it time.Hope this helps :)

4th Year Female -- Class 2012