StudentsReview :: Salve Regina University - Comments and Student Experiences

Providence College -- Providence, RI
University of Rhode Island -- Kingston, RI

Salve Regina University

Salve needs more of a male prescence.Quite BrightCommunications
Salve needs more of a male prescence. Too many girls are stuck up and mean. I wasn't used to that. I don't know if its because they are rich or just not brought up right. The accapela group was exclusive and I don't think any club should be denying students who would like to join. New Miley is great, but lines are longer and no one has time to wait in line when classes are scheduled back to back with an hour break. Financial aid is very helpful and the staff is amazing for the most part. It shouldn't be a requirement to take a language.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Extracurricular Activities: C
Looking back on my experience at Salve, IBrightNursing
Looking back on my experience at Salve, I can honestly say that I had the best 4 years of my life.
I remember that first semester freshman year I was convinced I wanted to transfer. I am soooo glad I decided to stay because I met some of the nicest people-made lifelong friendships, and got involved so I really felt like I was a part of something.

I went to other schools to visit friends, and had a blast, but after leaving was so thankful I didn't actually go there full time. Being surrounded by Newport provided lots of things to do. From ice skating downtown in the winter, free cone day @ Ben & Jerrys, St. Pattys Day Parade, Restaurant Week, walking the cliff walk & ocean drive, going to rejects beach or first beach, and even venturing into Providence for the day...the list goes on. The free RIPTA pass you receive as a freshman made it easy to get downtown and to prov./boston if need be. You need to make your own fun.... which is a pretty easy task since there is so much to do.

From my time freshman year, to when I graduated senior year the school made so many improvements (from the food, to student life, as well as athletics and academic departments) which makes it even harder to come to terms with the fact that I will not be returning this fall. Granted there are a few more things that would be nice to have (a bigger gym maybe? or a dunkin on campus...) but I truly can't believe how much the University has listened to surveys and actually done something about the negative aspects.

My advice to the new freshman is to get involved in something whether it may be sports, music, a job on campus, dance, a club, intramurals, or even just going to the gym and getting out of your room! Put yourself out there a little more than you normally would. Yeah it's going to suck at first you just left the place you've lived for probably your whole life & going to want to make friends... which doesn't come in the first week or even the first month. So be patient. Give everyone a chance. Not everyone is going to be just like you and you might not be best friends with everyone so keep an open mind.

Study & work hard, but play harder. Some of the classes I took and things I have learned I will take with me and are a part of how I look at the world, and how I view my life in it. Put the time in to study and take away significant lessons which may change the way you look at certain things. Make sure you study but take time to do fun stuff too. Go to games, BBQs, & all the freshman stuff bc your never going to get to do that again. Salve's pretty strict with drinking on campus... but you'll figure it out once it comes to Thurs-Sat nights just give it time.Hope this helps :)

4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Innovation: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B
I went to Salve Regina in the year of 2009-2010 as a FresAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
I went to Salve Regina in the year of 2009-2010 as a Freshman and is now transferring. Salve is an interesting school because it is a school that you'll either absolutely love or hate every minute of. (Read some of the other comments and it proves my point) If you a high school kid looking for schools to go to look at some of the statistics on other college review websites. They don't lie. The amount of kids that come back for their 2nd year at Salve is around 70%. Now Salve isn't the type of school where kids will flunk out or anything. It's mostly kids that don't want to come back. Also, it is common knowledge that 50% of the kids you come into freshman year with will no longer be there when you graduate. Which could be frustrating because friends that you'll make your freshman year will probably just leave even if you stay.

Now some of these other comments about how much fun there is to do ON campus is just plain false. Don't get me wrong if you want to stay in on Saturday nights and play board games you'll have the time of your life but if you enjoy drinking, look somewhere else. They are VERY strict on campus. The RA's for the most part are very nice people but they have a job to do. I don't know anyone who didn't get written up. Becuase it is so strict and if your not part of the "select" group to go to parties they are very hard to find and really not that great if you do. Since the parties aren't great kids go away on weekends. Nobody would invite their friends to come to Salve. Instead the Salve kid would go to their friends school so weekends are always dead. On top of having very strict RA's Newport as a city REALLY cracks down on college parties. They are undercover cops in street clothes that sit outside houses they know parties are at until the noise gets to a level that they can legally break the party up and screw everyone in the party. It's almost better just to get written up in your dorm. So if you talk to a Salve alum that went like 7 or more years ago be aware that Newport is no longer known as "Zooport".

One of the major concerns that I would be shocked if anyone argued with is how the administration treats the kids. It's really embarrassing. I went to a small school because I felt that there would be a better connection with the people in charge of the school. Teachers themselves are very friendly and understanding but administration could care less. They just built this church that cost 7 million dollars. IT MAKES NO SENSE! It's not like the old church was too small. Nobody went anyway. As far as the food. Good luck. I hear they have made "huge strides" and the food will be a lot better but it was pretty bad and I'm not a picky eater.

Another thing is the type of kids that go there. It's a small liberal arts New England school so you know the type of kid that is going to go there but Salve brings it to the next level. The amount of egos that are walking around campus are hard to control. By meeting the football team you would think they haven't lost a game in 10 years. (They have) I don't want to generalize though. They are some nice down to earth kids. You just need to find them. Overall I wouldn't want to convince someone not to go to Salve. Some people love it and I can understand why. It has some really nice parts. The mansions, cliffwalk, and first beach are things that are nice to see on a daily basis. Just when you pick whatever school you do, try not to pick Salve because of those reasons because in the middle of the winter living on the beach doesn't matter.

1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: F
Compare SRUSave SRU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→