StudentsReview :: Bob Jones University - Comments and Student Experiences

Pensacola Christian College -- Pensacola, FL
West Liberty State College -- West Liberty, WV

Bob Jones University

I came in 2004 and worked 3 semesters

Oct 30 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I came in 2004 and worked 3 semesters.Got out, looked for and got work and eventually joined the Air Force. Was enlisted for 6 years, got out and am now back for the 2013 winter semester on the GI bill. It is definitely a solid Fundamental school and very Baptist in philosophy and day to day dealings. But it is not as strict Baptist as Hyles Anderson, PCC, or The Crown College. Bob Jones actually has a more open minded mentality and staff to Biblical things than most fundamental schools which, I think is good. Prospective students should know that Bob Jones definitely does have a strong set of rules. Rules that are, for the most part, reasonable. Only a few are bothersome but you can honestly find those anywhere you go. But also don't be surprised at how open and friendly most all of the staff and faculty are here. Students who have been to secular institutions have said to me that this place has staff that really care about how you are doing. I really do like the atmosphere here. It is generally very spiritual and pleasant.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Scholastic Success: A+, Social Life: C+

I am not a BO JOer

Aug 16 2013Religion/Religious
I am not a BO JOer. I don't worship at the feet of BJU. But I do think the school re enforced my core beliefs. I think some of the faculty could have been better trained and had a wider field of experience. Many are criticizing the school. It is not the school that has changed but the world and society has left the very foundations of morality and beliefs which governed our society. Therefore, the school appears to be out of touch with the world. Many would say the say about God's Word. I am thankful that BJU has maintained its basic position and continues to resist the downward slide to a decadent society. I was at a state college before I went to BJU. The year I was at the state school, I encountered easy sex, flowing drugs and then the students burned the buildings down. I was glad to leave and get to a school where I could learn and grow in a safe and academic environment. I would not trust any other school with my children's future education. Thanks BJU. Keep it up. Stand strong in the Faith which was once delivered unto the Saints!
Starting Job: Music Dir Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+

The school is aimed at the devote and

Aug 05 2013Physics
The school is aimed at the devote and separated church goers, and that is just fine. However, Bob Jones University's lack of regional accreditation makes the value and portability of their degree programs nothing more that religious flavored ego driven theft of these deeply committed Christians. The school's administration pretend to offer a fine education while systematically devaluing their kind and devoted students efforts through their complete incompetence in retaining the proper staff and ability to meet the minimum standards of a regional accredited program. The fact that "TRACS" is even listed as an excuse of a "accreditation" qualifications exposes the school for the snake oil sales people they have become.

The school has hurt so many of the well meaning students and parents that have paid their high tutions and followed their restrictive student rules to find that they cannot get into any normal grad school program and many professions due to their lack of regional accreditation. They spoil any Christian credibility with their pathetic efforts to plan and respond to this issue. Your degree from Bob Jones University is worth very little outside of the tiny ecosystem of South Carolina.

5th Year Male -- Class 1998