StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

If you're intelligent, motivated, and excited to beginSuper BrilliantPsychology
If you're intelligent, motivated, and excited to begin working hard toward the life you've dreamed of... do not give your time and money to Coastal Carolina University. If you're an athlete, that's another story. The gym is incredible and the school spirit is there. Do it up. I attended coastal for about a month. Here's a quick version of my story: I wanted to major in Psychology and minor in Art Studio to begin pursuing my dream practicing Art Therapy in my own unique way, with the proper education. During my scheduling session at orientation, my advisor tried convincing me not to minor in art studio. (First red flag. I wasn't even asking for his opinion, I already knew what I needed.) I stayed for nearly an hour in this session, now the only one left in the room. Laying out all my options to get this class and figuring out together how we could make it work. Finally I rearranged things and happily accepted an 8am Art Studio class which they were reluctant to hand to me for odd reasons which I overlooked at the time. I left the room satisfied and excited. The beginning of the semester came around and I recieved the official class schedule. My only art class was complete bogus, included taking notes and testing, barely any creating, not intended for someone who needed to be making art. Even further, I was denied access to the "art studio" (because I didn't have the class THAT THEY DIDNT GIVE ME) to complete commissioned work that I simply couldn't do at the desk in my dorm room. All I needed was a table. But I wasn't allowed. I was paying SO much to go to this school that was simply not allowing me to pursue my biggest passion, AND not giving me access to the facilities on campus that I was paying WAY TOO MUCH for! Ugh. The vast majority of students were there for all of the wrong reasons. The school loves to suck up every dollar from your pocket in every way. This school is a business designed for the benefit of those running it, NOT the customers (that's you). I could go on forever about the things I experienced and saw in only a month before I knew that I couldn't grow in the right direction there. During the withdrawal process some of the staff were incredibly understanding and ashamed to hear about my experience & to top it off, weren't even surprised. One openly recognized the backwards ways of the university and even noted to me, "my job is to try to convince you to stay but morally I cannot do that". Please my friend, continue your search and don't attend this school.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: B, Individual Value: F
I majored in exercise science and loved myQuite BrightKinesiology
I majored in exercise science and loved my professors. They gave me individual attention since this is a smaller college. I got in flagship "big" state colleges but went to CCU because it offers a more personal education and beautiful campus. Students were mostly very friendly. I keep in touch with some great friends. I enjoyed football games and heard the program is moving up to a bigger division. The school offered clean, new, modern buildings, and they are constantly improving and growing. The whole campus keeps evolving. I went on to grad school and am now an occupational therapist. My years at CCU were amazing and fun. I highly recommend it and feel the college is becoming very well-known.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
Don't try and get involved with Greek LifeBrightChemistry
Don't try and get involved with Greek Life here. It's as bad as all of the stereotypes, the fraternities are violent and disrespectful to women, and the sororities are the most close minded people you will ever meet. The chemistry program is not good here either, one of my own chemistry professors said that I should transfer or change my major because the chemistry program is so weak. This school also prides itself on the athletic programs that aren't even good, and they are the only ones who can receive full scholarships.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018