StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Sep 30 2014Accounting

Coastal is a great school. I love it. People often misjudge CCU for a party school, but it also has great academics.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: A

My experience at CCU was one I will

Sep 23 2014Communications
My experience at CCU was one I will never forget. I transferred to CCU & In all honest strongly feel I made the right choice. As someone who transferred here I will give you the pros & cons of CCU.

-The campus is beautiful, it's well maintained, the buildings are all in good shape. The university has done so much construction since I graduated in 2012! Tons of new buildings. Dormitories compared to many universities are TOP NOTCH.

-Faculty/Staff: I loved the faculty & staff at CCU. They went above & beyond to help their students & always made you feel warm & welcome. Not once did I feel like just a number. The professors for the most part were hard working & very knowledgable in their field.

-Program: one thing I'm a little disappointed in was my program. I studied communications & I know at the time the program was fairly new. At that time I felt as though compared to my previous instruction, Coastal did not offer as many classes or as many options as far as classes went. There were certain aspects of communications I would have like to study further but CCU did not offer classes in them. HOWEVER, I know that the department is growing a lot & that there are many many more classes available now in communication & journalism. I just wish they were there when I was an undergrad.

-Surrounding City: myrtle beach is a 15 min drive down the road. Conway is "ok" but there really is so much to do both OFF & ON campus. I was never bored & could always find somewhere to hang out.

-Students: a lot of people give CCU the rep of a "party" school & while it's by the beach & there are MORE bars/places to part I felt that when it came down to studies, the library was always crowded. I never felt "distracted" by parties or anything of the sort. The students are mostly very friendly & welcoming. There is a "happy feeling" on campus. There's no cliques everyone just talks to everyone.

Food: I wish they had more variety of food. That's one thing but the food was ok. It's college food it's never going to be "moms cooking" that's with any college though.Overall, I'm so happy I picked CCU. I feel I learned so much about who I am & grew so much! I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the campus & even meeting with faculty. Honestly, CCU for me was the best decision I made

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B-

My time at Coastal was the worst time

Oct 12 2014Business - Management and Administration
My time at Coastal was the worst time of my life. They absorb a student population through the pure aesthetics of the campus... and it works. The school itself is a joke. There is nothing that is "challenging." A good example of this is somebody next to me was taking a level 300 Government course and I could answer every question after taking a high school AP US GOV class. The campus life is poor. The place is a party school, and it is dead on the weekends because people have too much of a hangover for extreme inebriation or they would rather party all day. So you can only imagine the conversations that you will hear in the halls everyday. Not only this, but the campus is not safe. Not only was I hit by a campus police officer who blew through a crosswalk, but also they decided to cover it up so that I appeared okay. This is not the only case of campus safety mishap. In 2013 a homicide happened on campus, killing somebody at the University Place dorms. Yeah, look it up, these are hard facts. Before you enroll or your parents enroll you, do some more research. Everyone here clearly does not get the experience of college, so unless you want to join that statistic, don't come here. I plan on transferring to a school of merit, and if I was an employer, I would clearly understand the intentions of an applicant who attended Coastal, a party kid. Not only this, but the tuition for out of state students (nearly 50% of the class of 2018 undergraduates) is quite ridiculous. Go spend your money elsewhere, because you would have better luck buying a collection of PEZ dispensers than invest for you future here. This "rigor" (or lack of as I believe) is clearly prevalent in the classes. This is because of two things. One, being the student populations, "I don't give a damn" attitude, and the other being the lack of funding towards teachers. The deans and top tier make a whopping $500,000 annually as the professors are lucky to touch that with their doctorate degrees. Maybe, if the school didn't fund for us to have kayaks and paddle boards when there is no time or place to use them, then we could enjoy the rigor and feel pushed. That being said, our tuition money being collected by this school manages to fund golf carts for faculty that want to "pimp" out their golf cart with rims and LED under lighting (this is no joke). Also, for anybody trying to come here for the beach scene, this school is not on the beach. In fact, it is quite the trek to the nearest beach (12-13 miles). That is equivalent to about an hour in Myrtle Beach's traffic system at least! Enjoy the traffic jam. Overall, I have spent half the time I expected in college to study and focus on academics, and I am maintaining a 96% average (some of my classes I have a 98 - 99%). So this is my advice to you, DO NOT GO HERE! I guess by now, you can guess that I have prepped and expect to transfer after a semester.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018