StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Oct 29 2014Business - Management and Administration

great school great campus

Campus Aesthetics: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C
Sep 30 2014Accounting

Coastal is a great school. I love it. People often misjudge CCU for a party school, but it also has great academics.

Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: A

My time at Coastal was the worst time

Oct 12 2014Business - Management and Administration
My time at Coastal was the worst time of my life. They absorb a student population through the pure aesthetics of the campus... and it works. The school itself is a joke. There is nothing that is "challenging." A good example of this is somebody next to me was taking a level 300 Government course and I could answer every question after taking a high school AP US GOV class. The campus life is poor. The place is a party school, and it is dead on the weekends because people have too much of a hangover for extreme inebriation or they would rather party all day. So you can only imagine the conversations that you will hear in the halls everyday. Not only this, but the campus is not safe. Not only was I hit by a campus police officer who blew through a crosswalk, but also they decided to cover it up so that I appeared okay. This is not the only case of campus safety mishap. In 2013 a homicide happened on campus, killing somebody at the University Place dorms. Yeah, look it up, these are hard facts. Before you enroll or your parents enroll you, do some more research. Everyone here clearly does not get the experience of college, so unless you want to join that statistic, don't come here. I plan on transferring to a school of merit, and if I was an employer, I would clearly understand the intentions of an applicant who attended Coastal, a party kid. Not only this, but the tuition for out of state students (nearly 50% of the class of 2018 undergraduates) is quite ridiculous. Go spend your money elsewhere, because you would have better luck buying a collection of PEZ dispensers than invest for you future here. This "rigor" (or lack of as I believe) is clearly prevalent in the classes. This is because of two things. One, being the student populations, "I don't give a damn" attitude, and the other being the lack of funding towards teachers. The deans and top tier make a whopping $500,000 annually as the professors are lucky to touch that with their doctorate degrees. Maybe, if the school didn't fund for us to have kayaks and paddle boards when there is no time or place to use them, then we could enjoy the rigor and feel pushed. That being said, our tuition money being collected by this school manages to fund golf carts for faculty that want to "pimp" out their golf cart with rims and LED under lighting (this is no joke). Also, for anybody trying to come here for the beach scene, this school is not on the beach. In fact, it is quite the trek to the nearest beach (12-13 miles). That is equivalent to about an hour in Myrtle Beach's traffic system at least! Enjoy the traffic jam. Overall, I have spent half the time I expected in college to study and focus on academics, and I am maintaining a 96% average (some of my classes I have a 98 - 99%). So this is my advice to you, DO NOT GO HERE! I guess by now, you can guess that I have prepped and expect to transfer after a semester.
Campus Maintenance: A, Social Life: F