StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Oct 29 2014Business - Management and Administration

great school great campus

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C

I applied to an absurd amount of schools

Nov 18 2014Communications
I applied to an absurd amount of schools and did a lot of research before committing to a college. Once I visited Coastal Carolina University, no other University could even compare. I came to Coastal as a freshman in 2013 from New York. I absolutely hated coastal by November and planned on transferring. I decided that i'd give it a full year. It is very common at this school for freshman to automatically freak out and transfer. When I still wanted to transfer in April, it was happening. However, when it came down to it and I got my acceptance letters, something in me could not part from coastal. I returned my sophomore year and I couldn't be more thankful for that because all of my friends that transferred are miserable and wish they were back at coastal and I couldn't be happier. Coastal is an amazing university but please listen to me when I tell you that you HAVE to give it time, especially if you are not from the south. You have to meet the right people. You could literally party 7 days of the week if you choose to, the campus is absolutely gorgeous, the professors are extremely helpful and I've met the most amazing people. It is big enough that you will always be meeting new people, but you will also always see someone you know which is definitely cool when you're out at a bar or a party. Thursdays are HUGE here. It is almost unheard of to not go out on a Thursday night. You definitely need a car here which kind of sucks. The shuttles suck and to live in UP without a car is a nightmare but if you have one, there's like a 4 minute commute to campus which is really convinient. The gym is beautiful and coastal offers free, awesome exercise classes 6 days a week (spinning, yoga, ab blast, insanity etc.) It is not beach weather 24/7 however, these winters do not even come close to comparing to brutal northern winters (it's november and i'm still in flip flops.) The classes aren't too hard but COASTAL IS A COLLEGE and you will have a decent amount of work...and you will fail if you don't do it but 99% of the professors here give you about a 4 week notice if not more for all of your work. Housing options are better than any university i've ever seen..our worst dorms are better than most universities best. As a freshman you will feel like there's a lot of stupid people in your classes and if you live in the dorms it seems like you're surrounded by ratchets but don't panic because they all fail out by sophomore year. Greek life is pretty big. As a guy you almost HAVE to be in a fraternity if you plan on partying. Girls, you can get away with not being in a sorority but it is definitely 100x more fun if you're in one. The food here is not very good but that's the south in general. Overall if you're looking to have a good time in college and do well in school, coastal is definitely a great choice
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: B

My time at Coastal was the worst time

Oct 12 2014Business - Management and Administration
My time at Coastal was the worst time of my life. They absorb a student population through the pure aesthetics of the campus... and it works. The school itself is a joke. There is nothing that is "challenging." A good example of this is somebody next to me was taking a level 300 Government course and I could answer every question after taking a high school AP US GOV class. The campus life is poor. The place is a party school, and it is dead on the weekends because people have too much of a hangover for extreme inebriation or they would rather party all day. So you can only imagine the conversations that you will hear in the halls everyday. Not only this, but the campus is not safe. Not only was I hit by a campus police officer who blew through a crosswalk, but also they decided to cover it up so that I appeared okay. This is not the only case of campus safety mishap. In 2013 a homicide happened on campus, killing somebody at the University Place dorms. Yeah, look it up, these are hard facts. Before you enroll or your parents enroll you, do some more research. Everyone here clearly does not get the experience of college, so unless you want to join that statistic, don't come here. I plan on transferring to a school of merit, and if I was an employer, I would clearly understand the intentions of an applicant who attended Coastal, a party kid. Not only this, but the tuition for out of state students (nearly 50% of the class of 2018 undergraduates) is quite ridiculous. Go spend your money elsewhere, because you would have better luck buying a collection of PEZ dispensers than invest for you future here. This "rigor" (or lack of as I believe) is clearly prevalent in the classes. This is because of two things. One, being the student populations, "I don't give a damn" attitude, and the other being the lack of funding towards teachers. The deans and top tier make a whopping $500,000 annually as the professors are lucky to touch that with their doctorate degrees. Maybe, if the school didn't fund for us to have kayaks and paddle boards when there is no time or place to use them, then we could enjoy the rigor and feel pushed. That being said, our tuition money being collected by this school manages to fund golf carts for faculty that want to "pimp" out their golf cart with rims and LED under lighting (this is no joke). Also, for anybody trying to come here for the beach scene, this school is not on the beach. In fact, it is quite the trek to the nearest beach (12-13 miles). That is equivalent to about an hour in Myrtle Beach's traffic system at least! Enjoy the traffic jam. Overall, I have spent half the time I expected in college to study and focus on academics, and I am maintaining a 96% average (some of my classes I have a 98 - 99%). So this is my advice to you, DO NOT GO HERE! I guess by now, you can guess that I have prepped and expect to transfer after a semester.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018