StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

The campus is very nice and the professors

Sep 18 2014Undecided
The campus is very nice and the professors are very helpful and engaging and want to develop an academic relationship with each student. The cops/security are incredibly overbearing and make it hard to feel comfortable and at home here. The other students are not as friendly as you would expect/as they appeared at orientation and it is more than likely that you will be stuck here with very few friends.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A, Individual Value: D

My experience at CCU was one I will

Sep 23 2014Communications
My experience at CCU was one I will never forget. I transferred to CCU & In all honest strongly feel I made the right choice. As someone who transferred here I will give you the pros & cons of CCU.

-The campus is beautiful, it's well maintained, the buildings are all in good shape. The university has done so much construction since I graduated in 2012! Tons of new buildings. Dormitories compared to many universities are TOP NOTCH.

-Faculty/Staff: I loved the faculty & staff at CCU. They went above & beyond to help their students & always made you feel warm & welcome. Not once did I feel like just a number. The professors for the most part were hard working & very knowledgable in their field.

-Program: one thing I'm a little disappointed in was my program. I studied communications & I know at the time the program was fairly new. At that time I felt as though compared to my previous instruction, Coastal did not offer as many classes or as many options as far as classes went. There were certain aspects of communications I would have like to study further but CCU did not offer classes in them. HOWEVER, I know that the department is growing a lot & that there are many many more classes available now in communication & journalism. I just wish they were there when I was an undergrad.

-Surrounding City: myrtle beach is a 15 min drive down the road. Conway is "ok" but there really is so much to do both OFF & ON campus. I was never bored & could always find somewhere to hang out.

-Students: a lot of people give CCU the rep of a "party" school & while it's by the beach & there are MORE bars/places to part I felt that when it came down to studies, the library was always crowded. I never felt "distracted" by parties or anything of the sort. The students are mostly very friendly & welcoming. There is a "happy feeling" on campus. There's no cliques everyone just talks to everyone.

Food: I wish they had more variety of food. That's one thing but the food was ok. It's college food it's never going to be "moms cooking" that's with any college though.Overall, I'm so happy I picked CCU. I feel I learned so much about who I am & grew so much! I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the campus & even meeting with faculty. Honestly, CCU for me was the best decision I made

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B-

When I first visited coastal I knew I

Aug 08 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
When I first visited coastal I knew I had to go there. I loved everything about it, that is until I got there. I was put in housing that was not even on campus- it's across a highway and down the road from campus and they were apartments. Just where freshmen want to be.. not. I did not ask to be there- it was my last choice actually. It was hard enough to make friends apartment style but it made it worse that they place you with people randomly. I only got along with one of my roommates and another one was just down right awful. The buses were never on time - they were either very early or very late and there was hardly ever room. Classes were fine, Some teachers were great and some we're not helpful what so ever. I do feel like I did learn a lot in my short time in the classes though. The campus is very pretty and most of the students are nice and very friendly (it is the south). Oh, and if your planning on coming from out of state, make friends with people that don't live around or in the area- the campus was nearly empty on weekends, everyone leaves. There were countless weekends I was left alone and went to the cafeteria to find I was one of the only people there. I also didn't realize how much of a party school coastal is. Maybe that was just me being naive but seriously people, Calm down for a second. The one incident that really pushed me over the edge was sorority recruitment,Which I dropped out of after this- they had the meetings for it at the science building which is a building that you have to drive to. I went through recruitment alone and didn't have a car so I took the bus there. It started in the evening and went late, midnight maybe, and by then the buses had stopped running. By the time I got out of the building everyone had basically gone, I knew no one and there were no buses for me to get home. I eventually had to ask a few random girls for a ride back to my apartment and when we got there, she dropped me off at the front gate since it was closed. There was a security officer there( who I had planned on asking if he would walk me the rest of the way) yelled at me for having them drop me off there then drove off in his little golf cart without another word. I had to walk the rest of the way to the apartment alone in the middle of the night. Thanks coastal for having such great security. I felt sooo safe. Overall I lasted a semester. I just couldn't deal with it anymore.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016