StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

I was a 3.4GPA student and a 1800SATBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I was a 3.4GPA student and a 1800SAT (3 parts) at a competitive private high school in a suburb-city in Jersey. Coastal was NOT a challenge and I finished with 35 credits and a 3.9 GPA after two semesters. I didn't feel challenged and the people I was surrounded with were close-minded and didn't want to learn. They were obviously there just to party and 'Go Greek'. I had a fun time there but didn't feel as intellectually challenged as I would have liked too.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D+
I went to Coastal for all four yearsQuite BrightPsychology
I went to Coastal for all four years of my undergrad. The atmosphere is great there, everyone is very friendly and I made lifelong friends there. Some of the classes were a bit too easy, I didn't feel very challenged for the first two years. However, once I got into my upper level Psyc courses they did get more challenging and interesting. Class sizes are typically small so professors know you by name and can give you one on one help. When I was a freshman, there were lots of fun parties but local and campus cops did crack down so now the bar scene is more popular which is fun but gets expensive. The location and weather are great and there are many clubs to get involved in. On campus dining wasn't so great but that's true of any school, really. I would definitely recommend Coastal.
4th Year Female -- Class 2010
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C+
I had familial issues which required that ISuper BrilliantPolitical Science
I had familial issues which required that I enroll here for one semester. I have a brother who has attended this school for several years, however, and that led me to choose Coastal.

As much as I have sincerely tried to look at this school in as much of a positive light as possible I simply cannot. It is simply the cesspool of collegiate experience. No, that doesn't mean you won't find worthwhile professors. No, that doesn't mean you can't learn anything worthwile. But as far as an overall collegiate experience this school is simply awful. I transferred from UD, a big party school but also a decent academic school, and CCU PALES in comparison to it in all regards. I am a person of priorities and I place academics above all else---I didn't come here to party---but Coastal's party school reputation is completely unfounded. On Friday and Saturday nights, you can hear a pin drop at any given moment. Far cry from what I experienced at UD. But, this isn't the worst aspect.

Academics has proven to be Coastal's Achilles' heel. Or, rather, it is the Achilles' heel of the students because many of them are just diffident and completely lacking in motivation. In a political science class of mine our professor will routinely respond, "uuuh...I don't know" showing a complete inability to think critically or cogently. In another class there were students literally falling asleep in exams. Yes, IN EXAMS. I suppose this can be attributed to the low admissions standards but with the exception of the marine biology program here you will NOT find brilliant people at Coastal, simply wayward, lackadaisical, unmotivated people who are only in college because mommy and daddy made them go and they want a bunch of equally-rambunctious fools to get inebriated around.

Of course there are always exceptions, but the character quality of some of the students here is simply awful. In just a few months I've had to tolerate a student yelling, "n-----" at me out of a car and more recently another student deliberately trying to run me over, smirk on face, and proudly driving off. These are the kind of people you get when admissions standards don't require an essay or an SAT above 1050. I look forward to the conclusion of this semester and my transfer to a school of much better quality. I hate to bad mouth the school and I don't have this sort of inimical feeling toward the administration but regardless it is the administration that sets these low standards and puts money over quality of character and academic capability and allows these vacuous fools in the doors in the first place.I can't speak for everyone but if you REALLY value education, you're not a marine bio major, and you want to find an enviornment where your cohorts are bright, motivated, and creditable---DO NOT COME TO COASTAL CAROLINA! I IMPLORE YOU! DO NOT COME!

1st Year Female -- Class 2014