StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Anyone that writes that Coastal is a joke,Quite BrightCommunications
Anyone that writes that Coastal is a joke, has a problem socially and should not be in communications. The Campus is A+ beautiful. VERY well maintained. University Place dorms are unbelievable! The students are friendly and conservative. The instructors are alway there for you. I am from NY, and they is not a college in NY like Coastal. Fraternity life is great. The weather is wonderful and the beach is 10 minutes away. I love Coastal and can't imagine being any where else.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
From two MASSHOLES:BrightCommunications
From two MASSHOLES: This school is an absolute JOKE. Sure if you are an in state student it MIGHT be worth your while. Otherwise as an out of state student paying $27,000 to be here, it isn't worth it at all. If you came to have fun and go out make sure you have money and a car otherwise you are stranded. Sure they have a shuttle service but it is always late and packed, and on the weekends it comes around about once an hour. Not to mention it stops running at 11pm, so without a car if you are relying on the shuttle for a ride, your night ends at 11pm. The beach that is supposedly "close", is about 30 minutes down the highway. The highways, 2 of them on either side of campus, make walking a non option. The food is absolutely awful, and the way your meal plans work they end up screwing you out of meals with their meal time schedules. The people working the meal halls do not care about how they prepare your food, often times I leave the deli or dining hall unsatisfied, and still hungry. If you swipe your meal at 5 o clock for dinner then you cannot use a meal swipe at any point afterward that night, instead they tell you to use your declining balance in efforts to scam more money from the student. The cops here are all about maxing their profits from fines. If you go to a party you can be almost certain that it will be busted within 2 hrs. The laws regarding marijuana are not lenient what so ever. If caught in possession of marijuana you can guarantee yourself a night in jail with your mug shot posted on the local jail website, and you will most likely be kicked off of on campus housing for your first offense (even though you get 3 drinking offenses before being kicked off of on campus housing). Even the university takes full advantage of scamming students. You will be fined for just about anything and everything. My freshman year I was fined $75 for having a broken blind on move out day, when in fact the blind was slightly bent (certainly not $75 worth of damage). I have seen parking tickets of $35 written for someone who was parked in an appropriate spot but had their wheel on the white line, which is just absurd. The girls are overrated, the guys are mostly from Jersey and are exactly like the Jersey Shore losers. It is very culturally diverse, but there isn't much mixing of races as far as socializing goes. There are a lot of racist conservative southerners. If you are trying to work while attending school, bring a car. There is nothing that is within walking distance. This is my second year at CCU, last semester was fun when I finally met friends who I liked and also had cars for getting around. Otherwise this year everyone transfers out and I am stuck here counting down the days until I get to leave making this experience a depressing one to say the least. The teachers and students here are beyond unintelligent. Sometimes I wonder how it is possible that some of these kids were accepted, and it leads me to believe that this school is all about making money and doesn't so much care about the well being of the student. They spend a lot of money on unnecessary things such as batting cages when they need things like more shuttles, better food, and intelligent professors. All in all as an out of state student this is definitely not worth your money. I do not recommend this university, as i am counting down the days until i transfer.
1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Individual Value: F
I'm going to be a junior this Spring,Quite BrightCommunications
I'm going to be a junior this Spring, but it is the start of my second year here. When I came down here I knew that the education probably wasn't going to be that challenging but it would offset with the "amazing" party scene I was told about prior to making my decision to come to this school.

My first semester wasn't challenging as a freshman, I pulled in a 3.6 without doing any work. The parties were eh but i rarely went out because I a girlfriend at home and planned on transferring after the next semester. Therefore, the Spring semester I took on a 20 credit load with no Friday classes think I would give myself a challenge and get all of my pre-requisites out of the way. I also planned on going out more often on the weekends. Well shame on me, the parties here turned out to suck. The cops literally make it to every single one by the end of the night. You can't park anywhere at parties anyway. The campus housing is just too spaced out, not that it matters because the parties get busted. But you always have to find a ride that's willing to DD. There is one bar around the school called Might As Well, and it is the sorriest excuse for a bar I have ever seen. If you're a guy and don't have a fake ID, have fun paying 15 dollars to watch a bunch of ignorant morons dance with their shirts off because they have the abs they were born with. Also, while going out on my 20 credit schedule, I maintained a 3.75 GPA. I was doing other people's work for them with two weeks left in the semester because I had finished all of mine. My finals were also open notebook in some classes.

So after the Spring semester of 2010 I figured I would give the school one more chance to make an impression on me or else I would transfer. Well I have news for you, I'm out of this place. The school made a policy where if you don't live within 50 miles of the campus you cannot have off campus housing as a sophomore. Then they bought out nice apartments because they say "living on campus produces better grades and more focused students." And so far the apartments have been nothing but problems. My closet is filled with black mold that the maintenance have no idea how to fix because it keeps coming back. They haven't sprayed for roaches since my roommates and I requested it 3 weeks ago when roaches crawled out of our AC vent in the kitchen. The party scene is worse this year as parties get busted within minutes of them starting. The joke bar MAW has cops raiding it. The fraternities don't even have houses so I don't understand what they have fees for. The football team sucks and the students don't even know how to support the team. The basketball and baseball programs are great, yet our basketball arena doesn't even hold 1,000 people and it looks like an elementary gym. The baseball team is phenomenal yet no one goes to the games. All in all, it is safe to say I'm transferring from this school elsewhere. Student wise, I don't understand how half of the kids got into the school because they are the most non-intelligent human beings I have ever encountered. How some of these kids get sub 2.5 GPA's here is remarkable, I think it's harder to do that than it is to get a 3.5 GPA. Half the school is from New Jersey, which is a whole different story with the arrogant imbeciles that state produces. And a good amount of the rest are just USC, Clemson, or CofC rejections. There is a handful of teachers that I actually have respect for that have good credentials for teaching. I was just completely taken back by how much the school was overrated before I came and I am disappointed to waste my own money and my parents money to attend this place.

1st Year Male -- Class 2012