StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

I had familial issues which required that ISuper BrilliantPolitical Science
I had familial issues which required that I enroll here for one semester. I have a brother who has attended this school for several years, however, and that led me to choose Coastal.

As much as I have sincerely tried to look at this school in as much of a positive light as possible I simply cannot. It is simply the cesspool of collegiate experience. No, that doesn't mean you won't find worthwhile professors. No, that doesn't mean you can't learn anything worthwile. But as far as an overall collegiate experience this school is simply awful. I transferred from UD, a big party school but also a decent academic school, and CCU PALES in comparison to it in all regards. I am a person of priorities and I place academics above all else---I didn't come here to party---but Coastal's party school reputation is completely unfounded. On Friday and Saturday nights, you can hear a pin drop at any given moment. Far cry from what I experienced at UD. But, this isn't the worst aspect.

Academics has proven to be Coastal's Achilles' heel. Or, rather, it is the Achilles' heel of the students because many of them are just diffident and completely lacking in motivation. In a political science class of mine our professor will routinely respond, "uuuh...I don't know" showing a complete inability to think critically or cogently. In another class there were students literally falling asleep in exams. Yes, IN EXAMS. I suppose this can be attributed to the low admissions standards but with the exception of the marine biology program here you will NOT find brilliant people at Coastal, simply wayward, lackadaisical, unmotivated people who are only in college because mommy and daddy made them go and they want a bunch of equally-rambunctious fools to get inebriated around.

Of course there are always exceptions, but the character quality of some of the students here is simply awful. In just a few months I've had to tolerate a student yelling, "n-----" at me out of a car and more recently another student deliberately trying to run me over, smirk on face, and proudly driving off. These are the kind of people you get when admissions standards don't require an essay or an SAT above 1050. I look forward to the conclusion of this semester and my transfer to a school of much better quality. I hate to bad mouth the school and I don't have this sort of inimical feeling toward the administration but regardless it is the administration that sets these low standards and puts money over quality of character and academic capability and allows these vacuous fools in the doors in the first place.I can't speak for everyone but if you REALLY value education, you're not a marine bio major, and you want to find an enviornment where your cohorts are bright, motivated, and creditable---DO NOT COME TO COASTAL CAROLINA! I IMPLORE YOU! DO NOT COME!

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F
It's a pretty beautifulQuite BrightOther
It's a pretty beautiful place and the beach is not even a 30 minute ride away which provides for a nice get away but parking is terrible like at most places but here it is just wretched.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Individual Value: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C-
I'm originally from New York and was REALLYBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I'm originally from New York and was REALLY excited to be attending coastal. I thought it was a very nice school and was very welcoming. It is also known for being an excellent business school. Myrtle Beach is also a fun area with a lot to do. I was COMPLETELY WRONG about this school. It's literally secluded for pretty much everything if you do not have a car. The classes are a complete JOKE. It's easier than high school for me, and that's sad. Being that there is nothing to do on campus, it's really easy to get into the wrong scene. A lot of the girls are catty and the guys are... well let's not go there. If you have a problem with things in your dorm such as lights or the bathroom, don't expect them to come help you. They wont or they will take an extremely long time. Greek life here is a complete joke... just like the school. There aren't any houses and its very cliquey. THE FOOD IS HORRIBLE! The commons has some of the worst food I've eaten in my life. Also, you NEVER want to have to deal with the "cops" or disciplinary system. If you are caught even around alcohol in the dorms expect a 100 dollar fine, an alcohol class, and community service. If you are an out of state student like me and want to get the best results from your money, DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL!
1st Year Female -- Class 2014