StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

> Search for University

Casual Comment

Summer
HS Summer Programs
Internship Post

Summary
 Information
 Sports

Forward me!

Snapshot - Student Ratings
Collaboration/Competitive   B-
Useful Schoolwork   C+

Before you start judging Coastal Carolina based off of reviews, you should really go visit and experience the school for yourself. I didn't even have the school down as a contender until I stepped foot on the campus and I fell in love! The faculty is very friendly, the campus is beautiful! They've updated A LOT over the last few years so it's new and feels very clean. There's a brand new student center with a movie theater, the HTC recreation center is amazing in itself! The dorms are far better than the other schools I've visited in SC. The fact that freshman aren't required to stay all in one building is great! You have more options. The surrounding city of Conway isn't all too great. You have an outlet mall and some restaurants on the highway outside of campus. You're 9 miles from Myrtle Beach so how can you really complain? There's plenty to do there and the night life is great! The fee to park on campus for the year isn't a bad deal compared to other schools. They also have bus transportation exclusively for CCU students. I feel pretty safe on campus. I didn't find anything flawed security wise. They have a great choice of sororities! The Library is great! It doesn't feel stuffy and out of date. The places you can sit around outside are beautiful! It's not too big of a campus so I'm comfortable just walking everywhere but it's not small and shoved altogether. Overall this is an amazing school and trust me, visit if it's even an option!!
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: B+
Jan 11 2015 1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Contact
Average
I picked Coastal Carolina University for many reasons in the beginning; I thought my classes would be interesting, I thought there would be many different opportunities, and I thought there would be many things to do. Sadly, I was very wrong about all these aspects. The nicest thing about Coastal is there campus, it is beautiful and always has a nice climate. However, aside from the palm trees and sun there is nothing special to it. The education is basically just "eh", there are not many clubs that get together aside from sports, and after the first few weeks of school the nightlife is just terrible. I would suggest this university to someone who does not care much about school and just wants to get by to get by. Before you attend know that the drop out rate is around 75%. Also, if you attend, you are going to need a car asap.
Individual Value: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Dec 05 2014 1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Contact
  Mark Invalid   Discuss Comment
I applied to an absurd amount of schools and did a lot of research before committing to a college. Once I visited Coastal Carolina University, no other University could even compare. I came to Coastal as a freshman in 2013 from New York. I absolutely hated coastal by November and planned on transferring. I decided that i'd give it a full year. It is very common at this school for freshman to automatically freak out and transfer. When I still wanted to transfer in April, it was happening. However, when it came down to it and I got my acceptance letters, something in me could not part from coastal. I returned my sophomore year and I couldn't be more thankful for that because all of my friends that transferred are miserable and wish they were back at coastal and I couldn't be happier. Coastal is an amazing university but please listen to me when I tell you that you HAVE to give it time, especially if you are not from the south. You have to meet the right people. You could literally party 7 days of the week if you choose to, the campus is absolutely gorgeous, the professors are extremely helpful and I've met the most amazing people. It is big enough that you will always be meeting new people, but you will also always see someone you know which is definitely cool when you're out at a bar or a party. Thursdays are HUGE here. It is almost unheard of to not go out on a Thursday night. You definitely need a car here which kind of sucks. The shuttles suck and to live in UP without a car is a nightmare but if you have one, there's like a 4 minute commute to campus which is really convinient. The gym is beautiful and coastal offers free, awesome exercise classes 6 days a week (spinning, yoga, ab blast, insanity etc.) It is not beach weather 24/7 however, these winters do not even come close to comparing to brutal northern winters (it's november and i'm still in flip flops.) The classes aren't too hard but COASTAL IS A COLLEGE and you will have a decent amount of work...and you will fail if you don't do it but 99% of the professors here give you about a 4 week notice if not more for all of your work. Housing options are better than any university i've ever seen..our worst dorms are better than most universities best. As a freshman you will feel like there's a lot of stupid people in your classes and if you live in the dorms it seems like you're surrounded by ratchets but don't panic because they all fail out by sophomore year. Greek life is pretty big. As a guy you almost HAVE to be in a fraternity if you plan on partying. Girls, you can get away with not being in a sorority but it is definitely 100x more fun if you're in one. The food here is not very good but that's the south in general. Overall if you're looking to have a good time in college and do well in school, coastal is definitely a great choice
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: B