StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

This school is a joke

Feb 17 2014Finance
This school is a joke. I attended for three years, had to visit an "advisor" to get my schedule approved EVERY semester before I could sign up for classes. Declared Finance as my major as a freshman yet didn't get to take a single finance class until my senior year. Then, realized I hated it. I decided I wanted to change over to an Accounting major, and they told me it would take TWO ADDITIONAL YEARS?! What?! It's basically the same degree. Anyway, no one really cared at that university until I withdrew and told my advisor I was going to finish my degree in a year at an online university. They then called me several times a day for weeks on end trying to get me to come back. Every person that goes to this school is from New Jersey or New York. Which tells you Coastal just wants the $20,000 plus a year they get from out of state students. You pay $50 to park, yet you literally never get a parking space even if you show up an hour before class. I will say there are a lot of clubs/organization on campus which are fun and are great for meeting people with common interest. But the curriculum and faculty involvement at this place is laughable.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F

as a sophomore here, I LOVE COASTAL

Feb 04 2014Art & Design Department
as a sophomore here, I LOVE COASTAL. the faculty are great, the honors program is 100% worth it (free computer!) the classes are challenging, but not too hard. i love the visual arts program. i have a bit of trouble making friends because a looot of people are "party people" but they're still friendly! i love this school!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: B

This school is not what I expected

Feb 22 2014Biology
This school is not what I expected. I only applied to two schools and was not interested in the school that was in my home state, Pennsylvania. Coming to Coastal I was excited to start a new chapter in my life that would expand my academic growth. I originally came to Coastal with the idea of being a Marine Scientist. However, I change to biology and wanted to go into premed. There are many people who come for marine science but switch majors within the first semester. Switching from the intensive marine science program, I realized that other departments are almost a joke compared to other schools. DO NOT come here if you want to go into chemistry. The feel of the chemistry department is that it is brand new and has no idea what they are doing. For some of my classes I feel like I have to teach myself SOME of the material, but for my chemistry lecture I am having to teach myself ALL of the material. I have talked to my friends from NC State and UNC; I feel so far behind in my academics being here at Coastal. It is unbelievable. Other areas that Coastal is not so great in is the social events. There is no school spirit due the the fact that Coastal is so isolated from everything and everyone. There is no rival team for Coastal, so there is no need to get pumped. There is no way to get involved with the school unless you pay well over $200 to join a frat or sorority or join any other club that actually does events regularly. The parties here suck. I do not go to the parties because they get busted before 12. There are no "parties" as far as I am concerned because none of them are worth it. Really think about your choice in a school. If you are from South Carolina, look at Clemson, USC, or any other school other than this one. If you are out of state like me, do not make a rash decision just because it is next to the beach. There are so many other schools out there. Needless to say, I am transferring out of here ASAP. One last note, please DO NOT base your decisions off of what the tour guide says. It's there job to get you to come to the school they are representing. When UNC has tours, you hear students say, "Come here! You'll love it! UNC is the best!" At Coastal all you hear are students saying, "Go away! You'll transfer anyway." Is that a school you really want to go to?
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F