StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

CCU is a good transitioning school

Oct 02 2008Psychology
CCU is a good transitioning school. I wouldnt recommend staying here for the full four years. I certainly am not. The psych department is awesome but the other classes are boring. I go to class day after day being bored off my butt. It sounds good at first but when you are constantly bored and then nothing that you took notes on is on tests, it sucks. They are departmentalizing a lot of areas, such as math and science, which is even worse. If you do not have the teacher actually making up the tests, then you stare at your exam like its a foreign language. A lot of the teachers are good but are obviously speaking without caring whether or not we understand whats going on. I do not know if this is because of them not caring that we understand or them just having revenge on the students who feel entitled to do whatever they want. If you sign up for 15 or more credits you'll end up dropping down to 12 because you'll get a teacher who you just cant stand. The PALS classes are easy A's though and so are the FYE classes.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: B+, University Resource Use: F

I have been a business student at CCU

Apr 08 2008Business - Management and Administration
I have been a business student at CCU for 3 years now and its been a crazy ride. Between social life and a demanding curriculum, you must be ready to be challenged come your 2nd year here. The first year, no matter what your major is, is relatively easy since you'll be taking the standard core classes. The 1st year of classes are like spring training classes.

If you are a phys ed major, come here. I'm not too familiar with majors other then business, but I know about 3 people who are phys ed majors. When ever I have tests or essays to do, they seem to be relaxing. I asked them one day what their schedule was and it consisted of flag football, volleyball, and all sorts of fun games. While I was taking accounting and economics, they were playing flag football and getting an equal amount of credits.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2009
Surrounding City: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B+

I loved Coastal

Aug 03 2008Psychology
I loved Coastal. I just finished my first year there and I can not wait to go back. There is a definite need for a car if you will be a freshman or atleast plenty of money to buy gas for your friends car. The food in the Commons (cafeteria style) is not too horrible, but they are planning on improving it in the coming year or so. There are only dorms for freshman mainly and a few sophmores or transfers so residency after the first year is a lot better than at some schools. You can live in the apartments that are not directly affiliated with the school, (university place and campus edge) but kind of are, but security still drives through and checks up on them. Traffic on 501 is almost always busy and there are no places off campus where you can really walk to without crossing a major highway. Again a car is a necessity, I made it through without one, but there were many times where I wished I had one for small tasks like getting groceries, which you will do a lot if you are like me and can't eat the cafeteria food all the time. Overall Coastal is a great school. I have had pretty great professors, make sure to check ratemyprofessors.com before you pick your spring classes. I did and I got awesome teachers and not one told me they didn't have time to answer any questions or offer extra help. It is not an extremely difficult school, but it is growing and they are getting more professors who actually know what they are talking about and love to teach their subject. Its a lot but I hope it helps, they don't list all this on their website haha
1st Year Female -- Class 2011