StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

I have been a business student at CCU

Apr 08 2008Business - Management and Administration
I have been a business student at CCU for 3 years now and its been a crazy ride. Between social life and a demanding curriculum, you must be ready to be challenged come your 2nd year here. The first year, no matter what your major is, is relatively easy since you'll be taking the standard core classes. The 1st year of classes are like spring training classes.

If you are a phys ed major, come here. I'm not too familiar with majors other then business, but I know about 3 people who are phys ed majors. When ever I have tests or essays to do, they seem to be relaxing. I asked them one day what their schedule was and it consisted of flag football, volleyball, and all sorts of fun games. While I was taking accounting and economics, they were playing flag football and getting an equal amount of credits.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2009
Surrounding City: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B+

A lot of people have the perception that

Mar 25 2008Business - Management and Administration
A lot of people have the perception that CCU is a big time party school and that you don't learn a thing. Granted there are parties, but every single university in the world consists of students getting drunk on the weekend. Just because people party doesn't mean they're incompetent. If you want to learn business, this is a good school to go to. The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, the premier accrediting body for business colleges, accredits the business school. They have a program open to all business students that provide them the opportunity to work as an intern for various companies on the eastern seaboard. These internships are usually paid and will most likely set you up for a full time job upon graduation. The school set me up with an internship in NYC; it's been an awesome experience.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2009
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Friendliness: A-

I loved Coastal

Aug 03 2008Psychology
I loved Coastal. I just finished my first year there and I can not wait to go back. There is a definite need for a car if you will be a freshman or atleast plenty of money to buy gas for your friends car. The food in the Commons (cafeteria style) is not too horrible, but they are planning on improving it in the coming year or so. There are only dorms for freshman mainly and a few sophmores or transfers so residency after the first year is a lot better than at some schools. You can live in the apartments that are not directly affiliated with the school, (university place and campus edge) but kind of are, but security still drives through and checks up on them. Traffic on 501 is almost always busy and there are no places off campus where you can really walk to without crossing a major highway. Again a car is a necessity, I made it through without one, but there were many times where I wished I had one for small tasks like getting groceries, which you will do a lot if you are like me and can't eat the cafeteria food all the time. Overall Coastal is a great school. I have had pretty great professors, make sure to check ratemyprofessors.com before you pick your spring classes. I did and I got awesome teachers and not one told me they didn't have time to answer any questions or offer extra help. It is not an extremely difficult school, but it is growing and they are getting more professors who actually know what they are talking about and love to teach their subject. Its a lot but I hope it helps, they don't list all this on their website haha
1st Year Female -- Class 2011