StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

I'm going to be a junior this Spring,Quite BrightCommunications
I'm going to be a junior this Spring, but it is the start of my second year here. When I came down here I knew that the education probably wasn't going to be that challenging but it would offset with the "amazing" party scene I was told about prior to making my decision to come to this school.

My first semester wasn't challenging as a freshman, I pulled in a 3.6 without doing any work. The parties were eh but i rarely went out because I a girlfriend at home and planned on transferring after the next semester. Therefore, the Spring semester I took on a 20 credit load with no Friday classes think I would give myself a challenge and get all of my pre-requisites out of the way. I also planned on going out more often on the weekends. Well shame on me, the parties here turned out to suck. The cops literally make it to every single one by the end of the night. You can't park anywhere at parties anyway. The campus housing is just too spaced out, not that it matters because the parties get busted. But you always have to find a ride that's willing to DD. There is one bar around the school called Might As Well, and it is the sorriest excuse for a bar I have ever seen. If you're a guy and don't have a fake ID, have fun paying 15 dollars to watch a bunch of ignorant morons dance with their shirts off because they have the abs they were born with. Also, while going out on my 20 credit schedule, I maintained a 3.75 GPA. I was doing other people's work for them with two weeks left in the semester because I had finished all of mine. My finals were also open notebook in some classes.

So after the Spring semester of 2010 I figured I would give the school one more chance to make an impression on me or else I would transfer. Well I have news for you, I'm out of this place. The school made a policy where if you don't live within 50 miles of the campus you cannot have off campus housing as a sophomore. Then they bought out nice apartments because they say "living on campus produces better grades and more focused students." And so far the apartments have been nothing but problems. My closet is filled with black mold that the maintenance have no idea how to fix because it keeps coming back. They haven't sprayed for roaches since my roommates and I requested it 3 weeks ago when roaches crawled out of our AC vent in the kitchen. The party scene is worse this year as parties get busted within minutes of them starting. The joke bar MAW has cops raiding it. The fraternities don't even have houses so I don't understand what they have fees for. The football team sucks and the students don't even know how to support the team. The basketball and baseball programs are great, yet our basketball arena doesn't even hold 1,000 people and it looks like an elementary gym. The baseball team is phenomenal yet no one goes to the games. All in all, it is safe to say I'm transferring from this school elsewhere. Student wise, I don't understand how half of the kids got into the school because they are the most non-intelligent human beings I have ever encountered. How some of these kids get sub 2.5 GPA's here is remarkable, I think it's harder to do that than it is to get a 3.5 GPA. Half the school is from New Jersey, which is a whole different story with the arrogant imbeciles that state produces. And a good amount of the rest are just USC, Clemson, or CofC rejections. There is a handful of teachers that I actually have respect for that have good credentials for teaching. I was just completely taken back by how much the school was overrated before I came and I am disappointed to waste my own money and my parents money to attend this place.

1st Year Male -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
This was a great school when I firstBrightBiology
This was a great school when I first got here, but when we got a new president everything went down hill. It was once a fun and fair school, but the school then became very money hungry and really only caring about the athletic department while there are horrible parking conditions, one of the buildings is completely falling apart, and is the only building they do not bring tours through on the campus and it houses one of the biggest majors on campus. Another thing is that they are allowing more students into the university then there really is room for, leading to much over crowding within the dorms. And even in off campus available apartment/dorms, if you are over the age of 21 you are not allowed to drink unless your roommmate(s) are over the age of 21 you can not even keep it in your personal locked bedroom. They are slowly making the entire campus smoke free, and though I am not a smoker that is not right to the people who are, and they like to sensor the media and journals put out on campus.
5th Year Female -- Class 2010
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F
Coastal is a beautiful University.BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
Coastal is a beautiful University. It is kept picture perfect. The climate is beautiful and the Beach is 15 minutes away. The students are all really nice and caring, same for the faculty. I am a history major and feel I am getting a great education. Forbes rated Coastal as a great buy. I couldn't find a better place!
1st Year Male -- Class 2013