StudentsReview ™ :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

This was the only school I applied to

Nov 17 2013Communications
This was the only school I applied to because I fell inlove when I visited. Too bad it was the opposite of my expectations. Coastal is a joke. More like a high school than a University. Everyone is very close minded and cliquey. The students are a mix of Northern snobs, hicks and wanna be thugs. I would not recommend Coastal to anyone unless you feel like reliving high school.

The athletic support is appalling, especially since our football team is 10-1. Hardly anyone goes to the games and there is absolutely no school spirit. All anyone wants to do is party. Which isn't too easy at Coastal. Its party scene is very over rated. Parties get shut down with in hours of starting and there is one club close by, which will cost you a lot of $$$$$. I have learned nothing in my classes since my professors dress worse than the students and seem to hardly have a high school diploma.IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON COMING HERE BACK OUT AND RUN FAST

Coastal doesn't really care about anyone I'm starting

Sep 25 2013Unknown
Coastal doesn't really care about anyone I'm starting to believe, professors are ok, but the majority of what includes the president and board of directors do not. From recent actions of the university they may even care more about out of state tuition vs those who are in state that attend. They have plans to build a new dorm, they are expanding when there is no room, so they put buildings on top of parking that was once used by commuters. Out of state students might be like okay, so how does this effect me? I will tell you that the president and board are slowly getting ready to use you, because they know they'll get more money out of you. If that's not proof they opened up a car rental station on campus, that only shows me that they are trying to get rid of student parking. If they cared about any student they would build extra parking somehow, or even upgrade some of the technology that is used by the university. The rental thing isn't a bad thing, but it seems it would appeal more to the out of state students. Expansion isn't a bad thing, but the way they are doing it is. I've never met a professor at coastal that doesn't care about you to some extent, I cannot speak for every professor there though. I can also say that some may be skilled and knowledgeable, but they're not the best for teaching. Some will try their best to help you and tutor you even if it's out of there work schedule. As you may be able to tell I was a commuter student to the college, I dropped out because I didn't feel like an appreciated customer of the president and entire board. Parking can be bad on every campus, however here at coastal, it has gotten worse. It's the school that makes the money, the professors do, but they're just employees. This isn't some kind of political corporate greed thing, but I can still notice what I believe is going on. The professors are not part of the customer service,but the operators of the school just want your money, I can probably say the operators care more about making the experience better by investing in useful things like new buildings and stuff, however it's almost like they know that if they make the experience better they'll get more money, because people will come back, just get ready to be used for your money if you are out of state. I doubt the operators which include the board and the president of the university even care about the quality of academics the school has. I would say there's a reason this school has a C+ rating on this site.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

I cannot be considered an in state student

Aug 15 2013Unknown
I cannot be considered an in state student at Coastal even though I have lived in South Carolina for the past 6 years, attended high school here, two years at a technical college, registered to vote here, have two jobs here, pay state taxes here. No one claims me on their income tax, I file independently. I was considered an in-state student at the technical college but Coastal says since my father lives out of state I do not qualify. I live with my grandparents and have for the last 6 years but the college wants to know if they have legal custody. I am 22 years old, why would they have "custody" It appears that Coastal wants as many out of state students as they can get. It's all about the dollars!
1st Year Male -- Class 2015