StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

CCU is a good university.Quite BrightComputer Science
CCU is a good university. It has given me unheard opportunities especially in my major. However, I might be that one in a thousand. I'm on my way to achieve success. I can't speak for everyone though.

Education: I'm in Computer Science. Good department, good people. The drop out rate for the entry classes is like 65%. It's bad. Not the universities fault though. Some kids come in and think computer science is great for the money and cause they could make Facebook or Call of Duty. The professors are good. The general electives suck. It's like that at most universities though, nothing special.

City: Conway isn't too great. However, Myrtle Beach is an alright area to live in. You get to chill at the beach, good food, hookah, Market Commons... it's good. If you don't have a car though, it sucks.

Clubs/EC: Intramurals are awesome here. Completely worth it. The HTC gym is fantastic as well. A decent amount of clubs too. I'm sure you could find one to commit too. I wouldn't worried about clubs so much beacuse once you get busy you only have time for one or two. It sucks because I don't have time for all of them.

Parties: The cops are good about busting parties which suck. They will get you for public intox, DUI, underage drinking. However, some of them have gotten completely out of f**king control. I've seen 400+ people house parties, drunken snowball fights, dude shooting a .22s to control a party, hiding in the bathrooms when cops bust in. They get crazy some nights and you gotta be ready to dip any second when the police roll in. Now my only complain, is CCU accepts too many trashy students usually from the Tristate area or typical business majors. It's not too bad because they fail out their Freshman or Sophomore year. Once you get into the upper level courses, you find yourself among some of the smartest and down to earth people. Being a freshman here wasn't the best until you find people that care.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
Coastal is a awesome school, I seem toAverageBiology
Coastal is a awesome school, I seem to like it here, you can get a really good degree and also seem to party a lot. ALOT of sluts go here, and ALOT of future wife's go here and there beautiful girls. Dude CCU is a 2 way street, you either love it or hate it, but the school is nice. Don't let assholes like the negative comments on here not let you come here, people get the wrong idea, since the school is near the beach they only wanna come here and party, they could care less about a degree. CCU is a party school, you just have to know where to look. The parties how are all or nothing, either its nothing going on or its the best night off your live every weekend, Greek life is really big here, so always keep an open mind that people who don't like frats and strats arnt really going to like it here. I like this school, Im always drunk or high and im a freshman, its a really well balanced school.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+,
This school is not what I expected.BrightBiology
This school is not what I expected. I only applied to two schools and was not interested in the school that was in my home state, Pennsylvania. Coming to Coastal I was excited to start a new chapter in my life that would expand my academic growth. I originally came to Coastal with the idea of being a Marine Scientist. However, I change to biology and wanted to go into premed. There are many people who come for marine science but switch majors within the first semester. Switching from the intensive marine science program, I realized that other departments are almost a joke compared to other schools. DO NOT come here if you want to go into chemistry. The feel of the chemistry department is that it is brand new and has no idea what they are doing. For some of my classes I feel like I have to teach myself SOME of the material, but for my chemistry lecture I am having to teach myself ALL of the material. I have talked to my friends from NC State and UNC; I feel so far behind in my academics being here at Coastal. It is unbelievable. Other areas that Coastal is not so great in is the social events. There is no school spirit due the the fact that Coastal is so isolated from everything and everyone. There is no rival team for Coastal, so there is no need to get pumped. There is no way to get involved with the school unless you pay well over $200 to join a frat or sorority or join any other club that actually does events regularly. The parties here suck. I do not go to the parties because they get busted before 12. There are no "parties" as far as I am concerned because none of them are worth it. Really think about your choice in a school. If you are from South Carolina, look at Clemson, USC, or any other school other than this one. If you are out of state like me, do not make a rash decision just because it is next to the beach. There are so many other schools out there. Needless to say, I am transferring out of here ASAP. One last note, please DO NOT base your decisions off of what the tour guide says. It's there job to get you to come to the school they are representing. When UNC has tours, you hear students say, "Come here! You'll love it! UNC is the best!" At Coastal all you hear are students saying, "Go away! You'll transfer anyway." Is that a school you really want to go to?
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→