StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

I cannot be considered an in state studentQuite Bright
I cannot be considered an in state student at Coastal even though I have lived in South Carolina for the past 6 years, attended high school here, two years at a technical college, registered to vote here, have two jobs here, pay state taxes here. No one claims me on their income tax, I file independently. I was considered an in-state student at the technical college but Coastal says since my father lives out of state I do not qualify. I live with my grandparents and have for the last 6 years but the college wants to know if they have legal custody. I am 22 years old, why would they have "custody" It appears that Coastal wants as many out of state students as they can get. It's all about the dollars!
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A, Perceived Campus Safety: D+
I have been a student of Coastal forBright
I have been a student of Coastal for 2 years now i have mixed feelings about the school and would like to try to break them down in an honest un-baised manor for future students. First off the campus is beautiful and very well kept. As far as education goes I am only 2 years in so i cant say too much about some of the upper level classes, but so far my first year was very easy and for the most part my second year has been as well some of my classes have been challenging as well though. I have had proffesors that are terrible and some that are geat but you will experience that where ever you go. Most of this information you can aquire easily without twists to the story what I would really like to warn future students of is the quality of life and social life.

I am from the beach so I partly came here because it is "close" to the beach and considered a "decent" party school not going to lie. What you hear about it being like the "jersey shore" here is undeniably true. Guido's run ramped and girls are pretty stuck up not saying i'm not freinds with a lot of them but it is true. As a typical surfer/beach kid myrtle beach is not the place to be and if you grew up at the beach you will understand what I am getting at, most people are from the north and if you are from the NC, VA, MD area you will soon find there wont be a lot of people to relate to right off the bat. the "hick" town of conway resists the university being well engrained in the local community and myrtle beach is the trashiest town on the east coast with absolutely no local culture at all besides catering to tourists and alcoholism. Once you get past all the so called glits and glamour" of the advertised city of myrtle you will relize the locals are mostly poor trailer trash that you will want nothing to do with. The school is between 2 highways which will give you constant traffic and you will never truely live in a real neighborhood just some subdivisions thrown up off the highway which the house some locals that have worked their whole life to live in and college kids, and the locals will hate you for it. As much as I like to party the scene is rather dissapointing and you will have to make your own fun parties fill up and quickly get busted. Don't get me wrong I love to party and have a blast but you will soon find that there isn't much to else to do, and it will eventually start to get to you and wear you down, it gets to be a repetative cycle and you will be doing the same stuff over and over again. All the "fun" activities offered in myrtle are the exact opposite of cheap because they are intended for tourists. The local police see the university as an easy money maker, the coastal cops will bust parties and stuff but are relatively chill about things and just like to keep things in order, but the local police will be the ones to heavily patrol around campus and try to arrest people walkingout of these parties that are already busted and will post up by campus giving students tickets and everything of that nature, All when our tuition funds a university police force that is capable of doing the same exact thing without the focused intention of screwing you over. With that being said the university is extremely greedy and will try to suck out every penny they can out of you, tuition for out of state is through the roof 30 grand and don't expect that money to do anything else than to just giving you the gratitude of being able to say you attend coastal every other little thing you do there is a seperate expense..dorms are more than it is to live off campus and you must do so for 2 years (which you can get out of) and you will be living 5 people in a 4 room apartment.

I could go on for hours but the thing is its not a horrible place it is just dolled up to be much better than it really is there a great people to be found and friended here but it will take alot to sypher through the B.S. and people that think it is some extension of a private northern highschool. Living in conway way is a problem in itself and going to the moral trash dump that is called myrtle beach is far from paradise. I have had thoughts of transferring since the day I got hear and have mademyself well at home yet those thoughts have still never left my head.P.S. as I said earlier this school will take try to take every penny they can get from you, do not expect to graduate in 4 years advisors will seem to "forget" to tell you some required courses that you need to take to graduate that you should have taken in your freshmen year when you are now a senior I have seen it happen to many many friends. be prepared for an extra, semester, year, maymester, summer courses.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Faculty Accessibility: F
Way too many wannabe guidos at this joint.Not so bright
Way too many wannabe guidos at this joint. Everyone here thinks they're going to school on the Jersey Shore. It's a big fat joke.

Classes here are terrible. Teachers are all washouts. I can confirm that students do indeed fall asleep during exams.

Dorms (if they can even be called such) resemble mold infested closets. Expect to get sick quite a bit.

Oh. And if your shower's broken, you're going to have to use your neighbor's for about a month. I'm so happy I'm leaving this crappy "psuedo-school". It's hardly worth anyone's time

1st Year Male -- Class 2015