StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

I'm not really sure what to think ofAverageCommunications
I'm not really sure what to think of Coastal Carolina. I really think it has some up's and some down's. I absolutely love the campus it's gorgeous and the weather and location close to Myrtle Beach are a huge plus! I think there are some GREAT programs here at Coastal but I also think some are TERRIBLE ones. It's somewhat of a "hit & miss" type of college. I'm overall not too thrilled with the communication department they don't offer many classes for the major and don't really challenge you. The student body are all "the same" You're typical big boobed, blond haired, tan girl. 90% of the students here are from New Jersey. If you are from the south you will feel like you aren't even IN the south anymore that's how many northerners are here. It's a bit annoying if you ask me. There is NOTHING for students to really do "on campus" I really believe Coastal expects students to find things to do off campus which, there are a lot of but they offer NOTHING for students on campus and that is a huge problem for me as I like just being on campus and meeting people. To me the people here are friendly it's easy to meet people but...not as easy as at some other schools.
1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use/ spending: F
I love this school very much, it mayAverageCommunications
I love this school very much, it may be because I have made some wonderful friends here. But Coastal has a great atmosphere and close knit community. Night life can be pretty fun depending on the weekends and weather. A lot of people go home on the weekends at least the dorm parking lots are Empty friday- sunday. Even though most people are wonderful, many students are from Jersey and are Obnoxious!!! If you love being active and going to the beach Coastal is great. It is a VERY active community, people are always at the gym, jogging around campus, or partake in a club sport.

The beach is probably the best part! When it is warm 64th street can have up to 300 students crowding the beach drinking and having a good time. Its a giant beach party every weekend. (be sure to bring a volleyball to coastal!)

My recommendation is come here if you are unsure of what you want to major in or this is the only school you got into and transfer after a year. I wouldn't recommend graduating from Coastal. Plus the school EATS your money!! They are fairly over priced for the education it offers. Come here if you just want to have fun and find your barrings your first year of school but if your serious about school and you don't drink, swim and party DONT come here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
I'm a transfer student to this university &Not so brightCommunications
I'm a transfer student to this university & I can tell you right now that 90% of the negative things written on here are from freshman. Why? Because freshman in general have a hard time adjusting to college life...so therefore of course they are going to bash the school when it's really just them not being able to adjust. I'm a transfer student who has SEEN another school and really can TELL YOU about the university and assure you that you likely won't find too much better then coastal: the pros & cons....

The campus is gorgeous but, all the buildings do look the same so at first be prepared to not know which building is which (it gets easier though in time) Overall though the campus is clean when it rains it floods so wear flip flops...

I find the students to honestly be a "mixed bag" and I think you'll find that anywhere....many are very friendly and approachable but there are those that think their shit don't stink and that's everywhere! But in general the students are friendly and approachable I did not have a hard time making friends.

The professors are a mixed bag as well. As a communication major I do not agree with the statement below stating that the communication department was terrible. In my opinion it really depends on the professor I've had some wonderful professors that are very approachable and I've had some that are terrible....it varies (which again, is everywhere)

There is not much variety on food....I wish they'd add more dining options and another issue that I honestly have is the on campus housing. I did not like that as a transfer I had to love "off campus" You cannot live on campus unless you are a freshman. University place is "considered" on campus housing but it's like a mile down the road...and you have to drive. My opinion is they should add more residence halls or add on campus apartments.

There are lots of things to do on weekends of course Myrtle Beach & the bar scene if you are over 21. Many Many parties ...which normally are all underage freshman and normally get busted. Many people end up failing out because they party too hard. I think this is a "decent" sized party school but it's deff. not the BIGGEST party school out there.

Overall though I really am happy with my decision to transfer to Coastal Carolina. Compared to my other university I really am much more satisfied here then I was there.

on a side note: if you are looking to get a quote "southern experience" as I've heard many of my friends say....DON'T come here!!!! It's ALL northerners. I've met MAYBE 6-7 people from South Carolina. The rest are from NY,NJ,PA,MA,CT. So if you are looking to meet southern people and get a southern experience Myrtle Beach is NOT the area for that at all. VERY few southern people

also I don't know why but I guess because so many people are from the north that MANY people either "transfer in" or "transfer out" I don't see too many people or know of too many people who have been here since their freshman year & have stayed. Most transfered in or are transferring out.

If you can't handle being far from home & your from the north don't come here. The beach is nice but....the distance can be hard on many.

Overall that's my viewNeutral: good school not the BEST school but not a terrible school either.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011