StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

This school is a joke

Feb 17 2014Finance
This school is a joke. I attended for three years, had to visit an "advisor" to get my schedule approved EVERY semester before I could sign up for classes. Declared Finance as my major as a freshman yet didn't get to take a single finance class until my senior year. Then, realized I hated it. I decided I wanted to change over to an Accounting major, and they told me it would take TWO ADDITIONAL YEARS?! What?! It's basically the same degree. Anyway, no one really cared at that university until I withdrew and told my advisor I was going to finish my degree in a year at an online university. They then called me several times a day for weeks on end trying to get me to come back. Every person that goes to this school is from New Jersey or New York. Which tells you Coastal just wants the $20,000 plus a year they get from out of state students. You pay $50 to park, yet you literally never get a parking space even if you show up an hour before class. I will say there are a lot of clubs/organization on campus which are fun and are great for meeting people with common interest. But the curriculum and faculty involvement at this place is laughable.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F

Don't waste your time

May 19 2013Physical Therapy/Exercise Science
Don't waste your time. The only thing this school is concerned about is taking your money. They accept literally anyone to this university. There is no school spirit nor a fun atmosphere.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: D

I graduated from Coastal Carolina University in May

Nov 28 2011Finance
I graduated from Coastal Carolina University in May 2010 and was a transfer student to the school for the 2007-2008 academic year. I can assure you that you will not regret attending CCU. I graduated with a double major in Finance and Business Management and was extremely happy with the education that I received in the Wall College of Business. I was surprised to read the previous negative posts about the school and the academic programs. No offense to Political Science, History, or Communications Majors out there, but the reason why you feel like the classes are so easy is not because of the education at CCU, it is because you chose an overall easy major. Any school that you go to and Major in Communications, your education is going to be a cake walk. Moving on, CCU's campus is great and extremely well maintained. The faculty in the business school is top-notch and pushes you to work hard. The campus is only a short drive from the beach and the weather is great most of the year. I understand the concern of the "Jersey Shore" stereotype that exists, as it is somewhat true, but the school has grown to around 10,000 students and is more diverse that what is said. I will admit that you do need a car in order to access a lot of the fun in Myrtle Beach along Ocean Boulevard and Broadway at the Beach (about a 15 minute drive). The party scene is strong, and anyone who complains about alcoholics and sluts all over the place, then don't surround yourself with those types of people. That will be the case at most universities. I never lived in the dorms at CCU, but can say that they are considerably nicer than a lot of other schools that I have visited. Any student should consider living options off campus in College Park or Wild Wing as an upperclassman. I lived in both of these areas and had a great time. If you like to play golf, you will be in heaven. There are 100 pretty solid courses within about 25 miles of the campus. Overall, I had a great experience at Coastal, and will be finishing my MBA there starting in the Spring of 2012, with law school to follow. Do not base your decision on a few disgruntled students' comments. My advice would be to visit CCU and do not make any choice on a university sight unseen. Good luck to all in the future!
4th Year Male -- Class 2010