StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Coming from Boston I was excited to comeQuite BrightAccounting
Coming from Boston I was excited to come down to Myrtle Beach and get away from the cold and have a change of environment. I had a good time at orientation, met some good people and was really looking forward to spending the next four years here, then I got a real feel for the campus. There were about 20 arrest within the first weekend being here. The cops, greek life, and education really turned me off. The cops will arrest you without having a second thought if you are caught with booze underage and weed is seen as the devils lettuce down here. If you spend a whole year here you are bound to spend a night in J. Reuben (the jail cell) and will usually have to pay anywhere from 300-500 dollars depending on what you were arrested for, usually alcohol being the cheapest at around 300. I guess the one plus side is Horry County post every mugshot of every inmate so you will have a funny mugshot to look at 20 years down the road. Then there is the greek life/social life. For starters there are no fraternity or sorority houses on campus but for some reason greek life here is viewed as a top priority. Very few people go all four year without joining greek life. Coastal wants to be a legitimate greek life organization but simply does not have the ability to do so. Also most the girls in guys in greek life are douches and bitches and the girls won't think twice of you if you aren't in a frat. The parties here suck and had better and more parties in high school than I did here. The common places to go are Monarch and Coastal Club which usually get busted before midnight by security. Before they get busted it is usually too crowded to move around and you do not know most the people at the party most the time. Quail isn't even worth going too because those parties get busted before monarch or coastal club and it is the police instead of security so you will have to run. Campus walk use to have parties my first semester but the cops ruined that and no one over there throws down, while college park right behind it never really threw down in the first place, but would get busted before 12 if they did. If you aren't in a frat or sorority don't bother going to juniper because very unlikely you'll get in or they'll make you pay for a shitty house party that will obviously get busted. Fairways is usually a good time but unfortunately is not in walking distance and you will need a ride there. The few party houses I went to that were actually a good time and never got busted were in the pines and what us to the the sae house, never got busted until there were to many complaints by neighbors and the owners of the house got evicted. They say the beach is only 10 miles away but everyone goes to 64th st. in myrtle which is a good 25 minute drive without traffic which is usually rare. Tongy's is the usual hot spot on thursday night and unless you have money don't bother going. Tongy's is a bar trying to be a club and usually once a month ADT will come and take everyones fakes. Broadway was fun to go to until you realize you are not as rich as everyone else who can afford to spend 30 dollars on cabs and cover fees not including the alcohol you will buy prior to or during the club. Also, don't use your fake at se?or frogs they will know its fake and take it, don't know a single person who has got in with a fake myself included. On a positive note beer and tobacco are a lot cheaper than up north. The education here is half ass at best. If you are not a PGM major and marine science major you should probably transfer out asap. Some of my credits didn't even transfer over to UMass Amherst so now I have to take summer classes to be a sophomore. You really do not think you are at college here because the campus is not a college campus and Conway is not a college town. Coastal is right in between highways 501 and 544 which usually has a major car accident on both highways everyday creating huge traffic jams. Coming from a masshole driver these people are the worst drivers you will come across. No one here has school spirit, most fans including myself just get hammered before the game and leave by half. It is a shame because the athletics here are very good especially the football, basketball, and baseball teams which have got recognition nationwide from beating big D1 teams. The dining halls here suck and have terrible times, unless you live at UP (which several people I know have gotten food poising from UP Cafe) the latest dining hall is open till 9 on weekdays, usually meaning you go to bed hungry every night. You will get the hicks shits and will have the runs many times in the first few weeks. Campus is always under construction with at least five construction sites around campus at any giving time. The gym is very nice with state of the art equipment but can no longer handle the amount students here, usually making you have to work out either before 4 or after 9-10 depending on the night or if you want to wait. Not having a car is also an inconvenience because the shuttle to the local wal-mart runs only once an hour and thats if you want to wait. The dorms are actually very nice, the majority of people have their own rooms and a lot have their own showers. I lived in a triple first semester and it sucked because there is not enough room for three people to live in a tiny dorm, two is manageable but try and get your own room if you can. Don't try drinking in the dorms as well, very few RAs are okay with it and if theres 10 or more people in your dorm pregaming expect to get written up for a noise complaint or alcohol. Some schools people can smoke in the dorms and everything is fine, not here. Even the smell of weed gives the RA to search your room and if you get caught with weed, you will probably be arrested and kicked out of housing no questions asked. Water pong is considered "alcohol paraphernalia" here so can't play pong in your room. WIFI usually sucks but so does every other campus WIFI. Overall, I wish I knew what this place was like before I wasted a year here. I did meet some good people who I'll always be friends with and if you do have a so-so GPA like I did in high school (3.0) you can easily get a 3.5 here without putting in much work like I have and transfer to a better school. Unless you are rich, plan on joining a frat/sorority or are majoring in PGM or marine science, don't come here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Scholastic Success: A-, Social Life: F
I am a freshman this year.BrightUndecided
I am a freshman this year. I came from New york to get some warm weather and not have to worry about the winter. The school in general is really nice. Everyone is more friendly than from up north. College is what you make of it though. No matter where you go it is all the same. I did come to party and have a good time, but down here it is very strict. I still go out though and have fun with my friends. It is very expensive to be down here, you need a car or take a cab to get around in myrtle or conway.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Innovation: B
I went to CCU for my freshmen yearQuite BrightAccounting
I went to CCU for my freshmen year of college to get away from Upstate New York.I went there too because of baseball.People are nice especially the southerns. They treat everyone with respect. The only people that I had a problem with were the New York City/Long Island Kids and Jersey kids. For one all they do is party. which is fine. I transferred and i graduated in four years and i knew about 10-15 people from jersey and another 10 from the NYC/LI out of the full group 6 graduated on time so may 2012. I personally think that is pathetic and a waste of time. Girls are all pretty but pretty sluty too. Guys are mainly all meat-heads as well. when i was there Greek life was big and i consider it a joke because well there are no Greek houses can put letters on the houses, you meet once a week. Yeah a joke in my eyes. The academic suck. I got a 3.4 my first semester and i went to about 50% of my classes. Kid were struggling with math i did as a sophomore in high school. I was in Calc 2 with JR's and Sr's as a freshmen. In the spring with traveling with baseball all the time i went to about 30% of my classes and still had a 3.25. Classes are easy and the professors are a joke. Coming from NY I am not surprised. Parties are pretty good everyone goes out so you are bound to run into pretty girls and your other friends as well. It sucks though cause if you don't have a car you need to call a cab to get to most of the parties which is a pain in the ass. The kids who go there are spoiled. Benz's, BMW's range rovers, Corvette's any type of luxury car you can think of kids drive. I didn't have a car and my dad owns there dealerships. Sports are pretty decent if you are a sports fan. Baseball team is always good. The food sucked, the CINO grill was good but it was expensive. I transferred back home to NY to go to UB(University at Buffalo) and I loved it there so much better. If you are looking to do nothing in college party, drink, not go to class then go to CCU but if you actually want to get a career right out of college i would choose a different school most likely in the north or out west unless u are going to an ACC school or something along those lines.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Compare CCUSave CCU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→