StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Coming from Boston I was excited to comeQuite BrightAccounting
Coming from Boston I was excited to come down to Myrtle Beach and get away from the cold and have a change of environment. I had a good time at orientation, met some good people and was really looking forward to spending the next four years here, then I got a real feel for the campus. There were about 20 arrest within the first weekend being here. The cops, greek life, and education really turned me off. The cops will arrest you without having a second thought if you are caught with booze underage and weed is seen as the devils lettuce down here. If you spend a whole year here you are bound to spend a night in J. Reuben (the jail cell) and will usually have to pay anywhere from 300-500 dollars depending on what you were arrested for, usually alcohol being the cheapest at around 300. I guess the one plus side is Horry County post every mugshot of every inmate so you will have a funny mugshot to look at 20 years down the road. Then there is the greek life/social life. For starters there are no fraternity or sorority houses on campus but for some reason greek life here is viewed as a top priority. Very few people go all four year without joining greek life. Coastal wants to be a legitimate greek life organization but simply does not have the ability to do so. Also most the girls in guys in greek life are douches and bitches and the girls won't think twice of you if you aren't in a frat. The parties here suck and had better and more parties in high school than I did here. The common places to go are Monarch and Coastal Club which usually get busted before midnight by security. Before they get busted it is usually too crowded to move around and you do not know most the people at the party most the time. Quail isn't even worth going too because those parties get busted before monarch or coastal club and it is the police instead of security so you will have to run. Campus walk use to have parties my first semester but the cops ruined that and no one over there throws down, while college park right behind it never really threw down in the first place, but would get busted before 12 if they did. If you aren't in a frat or sorority don't bother going to juniper because very unlikely you'll get in or they'll make you pay for a shitty house party that will obviously get busted. Fairways is usually a good time but unfortunately is not in walking distance and you will need a ride there. The few party houses I went to that were actually a good time and never got busted were in the pines and what us to the the sae house, never got busted until there were to many complaints by neighbors and the owners of the house got evicted. They say the beach is only 10 miles away but everyone goes to 64th st. in myrtle which is a good 25 minute drive without traffic which is usually rare. Tongy's is the usual hot spot on thursday night and unless you have money don't bother going. Tongy's is a bar trying to be a club and usually once a month ADT will come and take everyones fakes. Broadway was fun to go to until you realize you are not as rich as everyone else who can afford to spend 30 dollars on cabs and cover fees not including the alcohol you will buy prior to or during the club. Also, don't use your fake at se?or frogs they will know its fake and take it, don't know a single person who has got in with a fake myself included. On a positive note beer and tobacco are a lot cheaper than up north. The education here is half ass at best. If you are not a PGM major and marine science major you should probably transfer out asap. Some of my credits didn't even transfer over to UMass Amherst so now I have to take summer classes to be a sophomore. You really do not think you are at college here because the campus is not a college campus and Conway is not a college town. Coastal is right in between highways 501 and 544 which usually has a major car accident on both highways everyday creating huge traffic jams. Coming from a masshole driver these people are the worst drivers you will come across. No one here has school spirit, most fans including myself just get hammered before the game and leave by half. It is a shame because the athletics here are very good especially the football, basketball, and baseball teams which have got recognition nationwide from beating big D1 teams. The dining halls here suck and have terrible times, unless you live at UP (which several people I know have gotten food poising from UP Cafe) the latest dining hall is open till 9 on weekdays, usually meaning you go to bed hungry every night. You will get the hicks shits and will have the runs many times in the first few weeks. Campus is always under construction with at least five construction sites around campus at any giving time. The gym is very nice with state of the art equipment but can no longer handle the amount students here, usually making you have to work out either before 4 or after 9-10 depending on the night or if you want to wait. Not having a car is also an inconvenience because the shuttle to the local wal-mart runs only once an hour and thats if you want to wait. The dorms are actually very nice, the majority of people have their own rooms and a lot have their own showers. I lived in a triple first semester and it sucked because there is not enough room for three people to live in a tiny dorm, two is manageable but try and get your own room if you can. Don't try drinking in the dorms as well, very few RAs are okay with it and if theres 10 or more people in your dorm pregaming expect to get written up for a noise complaint or alcohol. Some schools people can smoke in the dorms and everything is fine, not here. Even the smell of weed gives the RA to search your room and if you get caught with weed, you will probably be arrested and kicked out of housing no questions asked. Water pong is considered "alcohol paraphernalia" here so can't play pong in your room. WIFI usually sucks but so does every other campus WIFI. Overall, I wish I knew what this place was like before I wasted a year here. I did meet some good people who I'll always be friends with and if you do have a so-so GPA like I did in high school (3.0) you can easily get a 3.5 here without putting in much work like I have and transfer to a better school. Unless you are rich, plan on joining a frat/sorority or are majoring in PGM or marine science, don't come here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Scholastic Success: A-, Social Life: F
I am a freshman this year.BrightUndecided
I am a freshman this year. I came from New york to get some warm weather and not have to worry about the winter. The school in general is really nice. Everyone is more friendly than from up north. College is what you make of it though. No matter where you go it is all the same. I did come to party and have a good time, but down here it is very strict. I still go out though and have fun with my friends. It is very expensive to be down here, you need a car or take a cab to get around in myrtle or conway.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Innovation: B
Let me start off by saying that IAverageOther
Let me start off by saying that I AM transferring to a different school next year. However, I am going to try to make this as unbiased a possible because I genuinely want people to find the right school for them, because I had really wished this was the right one for me. To help you get a real idea about the school I will cover 5 of the main topics people look for when choosing schools, so here we go.

ACADEMICS: I come from a school that pretty much required you to take at least 1 AP class and all the teachers preached how hard college was, but I honestly thought high school was harder for me. I don't know if college in general is easy for me or it was Coastal that was easy but I got a 4.0 first semester and a 3.7 the second. Classes aren't very hard for the most part but sometimes you get professors that think they teach at Harvard and make the class much harder than it should be and you will struggle. As long as you do the work you shouldn't do too bad and the tests are fairly easy, just remember you're at school not a full time party because that is why a lot of people fail.

Teachers are fairly accessible and willing to help but generally only during their office hours (which can be hard to make) and there are academic labs you can go to for help. (Little note about the academic labs: they are run by students so some times its a toss up whether or not you should actually go and you have to schedule an appointment).

HOUSING: Comparatively, its not too bad, but its definitely not the best and is lacking in a few areas. The UP option the school offers is great because they are legit apartments but that is off campus and you either have to drive to campus or take the bus to get to class but its only like 1/4 of a mile away. But if you're stuck in the main campus dorms it kinda sucks; things are fixed very minimally and previously fixed things tend to break, you're matched with roommates at random so you often find yourself living with people you don't like, and its loud at night and people don't care about others sleeping and neither do the RAs (the only time your RA really does anything is when they have mandatory meetings to give or check in/out). While there are many downsides to the dorms, the good side is that there are many options for housing in terms of having your own room or living with people (you don't have to share a room if you don't want to) and they are quite spacious.

PEOPLE: This is always one of the main things that I look for when I'm looking at schools because to me it is actually most important because the people will make or break your experience. There are nice people here, there really are, but for the most part a lot of people are stuck up. The people all start looking like clones soon after you get used to the place because a lot of people look the same, dress the same, and act the same. And some people will seriously have you question how they got accepted to college as well. It is very cliquish and somehow people find their friends before they arrive and people don't tend to travel outside of their groups. There is diversity within the university but you have to look for it sadly. If you are not very outgoing or are looking for a school that has students that really care about academics, I would advise against coming here because I think it would be hard for you. (I know this may sound harsh but this is my honest opinion of the people).

CAMPUS: The campus is very nice and it definitely reflects the "beachy-ness" that most people come here looking for. The school was started in the 50's so everything is fairly new and most of the buildings are very nice. They are continuing to expand and build up which is nice but a lot of times the construction is an annoyance and things aren't getting built/done on schedule. The campus is very small so it doesn't require much walking but at the same time it leaves little room for exploration. A major downside is the location of the school; it is situated in the middle of two highways so it makes walking anywhere almost impossible and it is very hard to get around without a car. If you do have a car, there is no such thing as a 2 minute drive because things are very spread apart and you will hit about every light. As far as the beach goes, its not a 10 minute ride, its about a 20-30 minute drive but its nice when you get there.

FOOD: This may not be a typical category for people to look at but I think it should be so I'm going to tell you about it. There are only two places to eat on campus, the cafeteria and CINO grill, the latter is better but much more expensive. The food in the cafeteria isn't bad but it gets pretty old quick because there aren't many options and they don't switch it up enough. If you're into health food or just eating "well" in general its going to be kind of hard for you because they don't really give the health options you'd like to see, they provide the usual things like salads and vegetables but not much more. You will live off the crap you buy at Walmart or where ever you get your food, like mac and cheese or ramen, because sometimes you won't feel like going out to eat and sometimes you just don't want what they are serving. The only coffee place on campus is Java City and even though I haven't had it, I hear its not very great but coffee is coffee and if you need it you take it. I definitely think the food options is an area where the school should expand.I am transferring because this isn't the right school for me and I am pretty disappointed because the summer before school started I was so excited to come and by the end I was counting down the days until its done. I do know a lot of people that love the school and didn't want to go home and I am very happy for them and wish that was me but it wasn't. Please keep in mind that this school does have a high transfer rate so do all your research and choose what ever school you plan on going to based on who you are not necessarily who you want to be. Just go into college with and open mind and goals and you should be fine. Good luck and I hope you choose the right school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015