StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Nov 18 2014Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I applied to an absurd amount of schools and did a lot of research before committing to a college. Once I visited Coastal Carolina University, no other University could even compare. I came to Coastal as a freshman in 2013 from New York. I absolutely hated coastal by November and planned on transferring. I decided that i'd give it a full year. It is very common at this school for freshman to automatically freak out and transfer. When I still wanted to transfer in April, it was happening. However, when it came down to it and I got my acceptance letters, something in me could not part from coastal. I returned my sophomore year and I couldn't be more thankful for that because all of my friends that transferred are miserable and wish they were back at coastal and I couldn't be happier. Coastal is an amazing university but please listen to me when I tell you that you HAVE to give it time, especially if you are not from the south. You have to meet the right people. You could literally party 7 days of the week if you choose to, the campus is absolutely gorgeous, the professors are extremely helpful and I've met the most amazing people. It is big enough that you will always be meeting new people, but you will also always see someone you know which is definitely cool when you're out at a bar or a party. Thursdays are HUGE here. It is almost unheard of to not go out on a Thursday night. You definitely need a car here which kind of sucks. The shuttles suck and to live in UP without a car is a nightmare but if you have one, there's like a 4 minute commute to campus which is really convinient. The gym is beautiful and coastal offers free, awesome exercise classes 6 days a week (spinning, yoga, ab blast, insanity etc.) It is not beach weather 24/7 however, these winters do not even come close to comparing to brutal northern winters (it's november and i'm still in flip flops.) The classes aren't too hard but COASTAL IS A COLLEGE and you will have a decent amount of work...and you will fail if you don't do it but 99% of the professors here give you about a 4 week notice if not more for all of your work. Housing options are better than any university i've ever seen..our worst dorms are better than most universities best. As a freshman you will feel like there's a lot of stupid people in your classes and if you live in the dorms it seems like you're surrounded by ratchets but don't panic because they all fail out by sophomore year. Greek life is pretty big. As a guy you almost HAVE to be in a fraternity if you plan on partying. Girls, you can get away with not being in a sorority but it is definitely 100x more fun if you're in one. The food here is not very good but that's the south in general. Overall if you're looking to have a good time in college and do well in school, coastal is definitely a great choice
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: B
Jan 26 2014Kinesiology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
So basically I've read all these reviews before I started my freshman year at Coastal. I'm in my 2nd semester now & let me tell you, do not listen to most of these reviews!! Coastal is amazing! First off, do not come here if you are not sociable, literally everyday and night I am meeting new people, from all over the country too. This school is very diverse and its awesome to meet different types of people. Secondly, if you're more into drugs than alcohol, once again...do not come to this school, you will get busted quick. Our athletics are division 1 and the tailgates are wild. The campus itself is growing at a tremendous rate from new dorms, a baseball field, a state of the art gym & classrooms. The only thing I dislike is that I do not have a car this year, but you can have a car. The professors are incredibly helpful & they all understand what happens in college lol...Choose CCU or i guess you can try another college, wont be the same though!
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: B
Jan 19 2013Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Learning has always been relatively easy for me, I started college my senior year by attending classes at a local community college. Compared to this community college CCU was great. There were plenty of faculty members who were extremely helpful. Many of the students were very friendly and I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet them.

Now, here's the real issue with Coastal, they do not prepare you for the real world. Getting a job is extremely difficult once you graduate, even with experience, because this is not a well known or reputable school. Even graduating with honors, with research experience, extra curricular activities, having an on campus job in a Learning Assistance Center as a tutor for 3 years...this is NOT good enough to get a job in your field. Planning on going to Graduate School? Expect to pay for every dime of it. You won't be earning a fellowship because attending Coastal isn't impressive to Graduate Schools.

**Get involved in a program (while in school) that will give you a guaranteed job after you graduate.**Also, good luck scheduling your classes to graduate on time! If you can get into the honors program, DO IT. It allows you to schedule your classes earlier than most students and you'll actually be able to get into classes.

4th Year Female -- Class 2012