StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Oct 12 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
My time at Coastal was the worst time of my life. They absorb a student population through the pure aesthetics of the campus... and it works. The school itself is a joke. There is nothing that is "challenging." A good example of this is somebody next to me was taking a level 300 Government course and I could answer every question after taking a high school AP US GOV class. The campus life is poor. The place is a party school, and it is dead on the weekends because people have too much of a hangover for extreme inebriation or they would rather party all day. So you can only imagine the conversations that you will hear in the halls everyday. Not only this, but the campus is not safe. Not only was I hit by a campus police officer who blew through a crosswalk, but also they decided to cover it up so that I appeared okay. This is not the only case of campus safety mishap. In 2013 a homicide happened on campus, killing somebody at the University Place dorms. Yeah, look it up, these are hard facts. Before you enroll or your parents enroll you, do some more research. Everyone here clearly does not get the experience of college, so unless you want to join that statistic, don't come here. I plan on transferring to a school of merit, and if I was an employer, I would clearly understand the intentions of an applicant who attended Coastal, a party kid. Not only this, but the tuition for out of state students (nearly 50% of the class of 2018 undergraduates) is quite ridiculous. Go spend your money elsewhere, because you would have better luck buying a collection of PEZ dispensers than invest for you future here. This "rigor" (or lack of as I believe) is clearly prevalent in the classes. This is because of two things. One, being the student populations, "I don't give a damn" attitude, and the other being the lack of funding towards teachers. The deans and top tier make a whopping $500,000 annually as the professors are lucky to touch that with their doctorate degrees. Maybe, if the school didn't fund for us to have kayaks and paddle boards when there is no time or place to use them, then we could enjoy the rigor and feel pushed. That being said, our tuition money being collected by this school manages to fund golf carts for faculty that want to "pimp" out their golf cart with rims and LED under lighting (this is no joke). Also, for anybody trying to come here for the beach scene, this school is not on the beach. In fact, it is quite the trek to the nearest beach (12-13 miles). That is equivalent to about an hour in Myrtle Beach's traffic system at least! Enjoy the traffic jam. Overall, I have spent half the time I expected in college to study and focus on academics, and I am maintaining a 96% average (some of my classes I have a 98 - 99%). So this is my advice to you, DO NOT GO HERE! I guess by now, you can guess that I have prepped and expect to transfer after a semester.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Maintenance: A, Social Life: F
Aug 08 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
When I first visited coastal I knew I had to go there. I loved everything about it, that is until I got there. I was put in housing that was not even on campus- it's across a highway and down the road from campus and they were apartments. Just where freshmen want to be.. not. I did not ask to be there- it was my last choice actually. It was hard enough to make friends apartment style but it made it worse that they place you with people randomly. I only got along with one of my roommates and another one was just down right awful. The buses were never on time - they were either very early or very late and there was hardly ever room. Classes were fine, Some teachers were great and some we're not helpful what so ever. I do feel like I did learn a lot in my short time in the classes though. The campus is very pretty and most of the students are nice and very friendly (it is the south). Oh, and if your planning on coming from out of state, make friends with people that don't live around or in the area- the campus was nearly empty on weekends, everyone leaves. There were countless weekends I was left alone and went to the cafeteria to find I was one of the only people there. I also didn't realize how much of a party school coastal is. Maybe that was just me being naive but seriously people, Calm down for a second. The one incident that really pushed me over the edge was sorority recruitment,Which I dropped out of after this- they had the meetings for it at the science building which is a building that you have to drive to. I went through recruitment alone and didn't have a car so I took the bus there. It started in the evening and went late, midnight maybe, and by then the buses had stopped running. By the time I got out of the building everyone had basically gone, I knew no one and there were no buses for me to get home. I eventually had to ask a few random girls for a ride back to my apartment and when we got there, she dropped me off at the front gate since it was closed. There was a security officer there( who I had planned on asking if he would walk me the rest of the way) yelled at me for having them drop me off there then drove off in his little golf cart without another word. I had to walk the rest of the way to the apartment alone in the middle of the night. Thanks coastal for having such great security. I felt sooo safe. Overall I lasted a semester. I just couldn't deal with it anymore.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Perceived Campus Safety: D+
May 13 2014Kinesiology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This school sucks, its placed in between two highways and you have to drive to go anywhere. Most of the majors are a joke especially an Exercise science degree since you cannot do anything with it that you are going to make money with.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015