StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

Sep 30 2014Accounting

Coastal is a great school. I love it. People often misjudge CCU for a party school, but it also has great academics.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: A

CCU is a good university

Apr 05 2014Computer Science
CCU is a good university. It has given me unheard opportunities especially in my major. However, I might be that one in a thousand. I'm on my way to achieve success. I can't speak for everyone though.

Education: I'm in Computer Science. Good department, good people. The drop out rate for the entry classes is like 65%. It's bad. Not the universities fault though. Some kids come in and think computer science is great for the money and cause they could make Facebook or Call of Duty. The professors are good. The general electives suck. It's like that at most universities though, nothing special.

City: Conway isn't too great. However, Myrtle Beach is an alright area to live in. You get to chill at the beach, good food, hookah, Market Commons... it's good. If you don't have a car though, it sucks.

Clubs/EC: Intramurals are awesome here. Completely worth it. The HTC gym is fantastic as well. A decent amount of clubs too. I'm sure you could find one to commit too. I wouldn't worried about clubs so much beacuse once you get busy you only have time for one or two. It sucks because I don't have time for all of them.

Parties: The cops are good about busting parties which suck. They will get you for public intox, DUI, underage drinking. However, some of them have gotten completely out of f**king control. I've seen 400+ people house parties, drunken snowball fights, dude shooting a .22s to control a party, hiding in the bathrooms when cops bust in. They get crazy some nights and you gotta be ready to dip any second when the police roll in. Now my only complain, is CCU accepts too many trashy students usually from the Tristate area or typical business majors. It's not too bad because they fail out their Freshman or Sophomore year. Once you get into the upper level courses, you find yourself among some of the smartest and down to earth people. Being a freshman here wasn't the best until you find people that care.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

My experience at CCU was one I will

Sep 23 2014Communications
My experience at CCU was one I will never forget. I transferred to CCU & In all honest strongly feel I made the right choice. As someone who transferred here I will give you the pros & cons of CCU.

-The campus is beautiful, it's well maintained, the buildings are all in good shape. The university has done so much construction since I graduated in 2012! Tons of new buildings. Dormitories compared to many universities are TOP NOTCH.

-Faculty/Staff: I loved the faculty & staff at CCU. They went above & beyond to help their students & always made you feel warm & welcome. Not once did I feel like just a number. The professors for the most part were hard working & very knowledgable in their field.

-Program: one thing I'm a little disappointed in was my program. I studied communications & I know at the time the program was fairly new. At that time I felt as though compared to my previous instruction, Coastal did not offer as many classes or as many options as far as classes went. There were certain aspects of communications I would have like to study further but CCU did not offer classes in them. HOWEVER, I know that the department is growing a lot & that there are many many more classes available now in communication & journalism. I just wish they were there when I was an undergrad.

-Surrounding City: myrtle beach is a 15 min drive down the road. Conway is "ok" but there really is so much to do both OFF & ON campus. I was never bored & could always find somewhere to hang out.

-Students: a lot of people give CCU the rep of a "party" school & while it's by the beach & there are MORE bars/places to part I felt that when it came down to studies, the library was always crowded. I never felt "distracted" by parties or anything of the sort. The students are mostly very friendly & welcoming. There is a "happy feeling" on campus. There's no cliques everyone just talks to everyone.

Food: I wish they had more variety of food. That's one thing but the food was ok. It's college food it's never going to be "moms cooking" that's with any college though.Overall, I'm so happy I picked CCU. I feel I learned so much about who I am & grew so much! I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the campus & even meeting with faculty. Honestly, CCU for me was the best decision I made

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012