StudentsReview :: Coastal Carolina University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- Chapel Hill, NC
University of North Carolina Wilmington -- Wilmington, NC
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Coastal Carolina University

I toured several colleges in the southeast andBrightKinesiology
I toured several colleges in the southeast and as soon as I set foot on Coastal's campus, I knew that was the place I wanted to call home for the next 4 years. I am a Junior now and I still believe it was the best decision I ever made. Coming from Ohio, I didn't know anyone and being a shy person, I was unsure how to make friends but that quickly changed once I settled into my dorm. This brings me to my first topic.

Dorms: I lived in Eaglin Hall freshman year and it was the best year of my life. I lived in a quad with 3 other roommates, which is the best living arrangement if you like your privacy and want your own room. Leave your door open and mingle with others in your hall. Get to know your neighbors. Everyone there is looking for friends just like you, so just be yourself, be kind, and you will make many life long friends. My whole hall became friends for the most part, and those were the people my roommates and I went out and partied with on the weekends. Tip: pick your roommates through the CCU facebook page, so you can choose and get a feel for who you will be living with. It?s even better if you can meet cool people to room with at orientation. This avoids getting randomly placed with roommates you hate. I believe the floors of Eaglin are still co-ed, which I really liked because that's how I met my boyfriend, who lived in the room across from me. Ingle, the neighboring dorm, had same sex floors that alternated boy/girl. I can't really comment on the other dorms, but Eaglin, Ingle and the Woods are right on campus next to the dining hall and the new HTC Center. The Gardens is across the street. When I became a sophomore, I lived in University Place, which is more apartment-style living. Everyone gets their own bedroom and bathroom and shares a full kitchen, which is so nice, but it is harder to make friends here. There is much more sense of community in the freshman dorms, while UP is more secluded. If you don't have a car, you might have to take the bus to class because UP is ? mile from campus. Once you reach Junior and Senior level you can move to off campus housing. There are some really nice places to live such as The Cove, Monarch 544, Coastal Club, and University Suites.

Parties: There are parties everywhere every weekend, you just have to know the right people and know where to look. That's why it's good to make a lot of friends. There are bars and clubs too and Broadway is a ton of fun, especially on Halloween. Getting alcohol was never a problem either. Chances are, you will have a friend with a fake ID who can get you drinks and there are usually kegs or jungle juice at parties. Just try to be smart when drinking in the dorms because obviously it's a dry campus. I pre-gamed in the dorms literally every weekend and never got caught, but I know people who did. And to the people who wrote reviews complaining: you can't expect to have a shitty attitude and then have a great time. College is what you make it, and if you're going to complain about the cops or the liquor store closing at 7, get over it because every college has cops and there will always be things out of your control.

Recreation: There are unlimited things to do here from my perspective. I never get bored. There is Myrtle Beach, Broadway, Coastal Grand Mall, Market Commons, Huntington Beach State Park to name a few. There are things to do closer to campus as well. Join a club, play an intramural or club sport, go to the farmers market, attend activities on Prince Lawn, go to movie nights, play sand volleyball, go to the gym, simply go for a walk and admire the classic beauty of campus, etc. Another option is to join Greek life. There are so many things to do, you just have to put yourself out there. Get involved and have fun!!

Education: I have been very pleased with the education I?ve received. Sure, freshman classes will be fairly easy, but once you get past that and into your major classes, they are much more interesting. I am an Exercise Science major and I love the department faculty. It?s sort of nice to have the same professor for more than one class because you get to know them better. As for advising, it's not always easy to get in touch with advisors because you must keep in mind, they have a ton of students to oversee. Most of the time they are prompt to assist you, but if you don't get a reply the first time you call or email them, don't just give up and say they don't help you. You're an adult now. Make sure you get what you need from them and call again. They will reply and be more than willing to help you. As far as studying goes, there are many places to get your work done. I love going to the library. It?s quiet, clean, has comfy places to lounge, and a lot of natural lighting. There are also private study rooms you can reserve.

The only reason Coastal has a high drop out rate is because many students are from out of state, who only come here because they want to party at the beach, without any real goal as to why they are pursuing a degree in the first place. They get homesick, because they don't have a clear purpose and then try to blame the school for why they aren't succeeding. Don't be this student. My solid advice would be to NOT go to college unless you know exactly what you want to be doing after the 4 years is up. Though, if you decide to come to Coastal for the right reasons you will love it, meet great people, and learn a lot. Email me if you have any more questions!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use: B-
Before you start judging Coastal Carolina based offQuite BrightAccounting
Before you start judging Coastal Carolina based off of reviews, you should really go visit and experience the school for yourself. I didn't even have the school down as a contender until I stepped foot on the campus and I fell in love! The faculty is very friendly, the campus is beautiful! They've updated A LOT over the last few years so it's new and feels very clean. There's a brand new student center with a movie theater, the HTC recreation center is amazing in itself! The dorms are far better than the other schools I've visited in SC. The fact that freshman aren't required to stay all in one building is great! You have more options. The surrounding city of Conway isn't all too great. You have an outlet mall and some restaurants on the highway outside of campus. You're 9 miles from Myrtle Beach so how can you really complain? There's plenty to do there and the night life is great! The fee to park on campus for the year isn't a bad deal compared to other schools. They also have bus transportation exclusively for CCU students. I feel pretty safe on campus. I didn't find anything flawed security wise. They have a great choice of sororities! The Library is great! It doesn't feel stuffy and out of date. The places you can sit around outside are beautiful! It's not too big of a campus so I'm comfortable just walking everywhere but it's not small and shoved altogether. Overall this is an amazing school and trust me, visit if it's even an option!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2019