StudentsReview :: Clemson University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Clemson University

Dec 12 2014Preparatory
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
So I am an in-state student, but not really. I went to 4 different high schools in 3 different states and 2 different countries. However, the last high school I stayed at for 2 years was in Fort Mill, SC, hence the "in-state". But that gives you some insight on me: I am extremely open-minded and have an extremely diverse friend group. Clemson University was honestly the last choice on the list of colleges I got accepted into, including Brown and Vanderbilt; Clemson gave me the most scholarships. Oh, I am also Asian, which in most cases, your family expects nothing but Ivy League and top 25 universities (ranking of both public and private ones) from me. I also spent the first 15 years of life in Taiwan, where 70% of the nation's population reside in cities. The closest I've come to "southern" culture and the countryside was Fort Mill, SC, and that is still less than 10 minutes away from Charlotte, NC.

With all that said, Clemson can be great for you, if you're 1. from the South 2. into traditional, conservative ideals 3. love anything preppy 4. love the nature and the outdoors I am clearly not any of those. I am a city girl and always will be, and being at Clemson, other girls will criticize you for dressing "too revealingly" and pretend to be proper "southern belles" while they openly and sloppily hook up with strangers at parties. Almost everyone will be "friendly" and "polite" to you, until you realize they are racist and only being nice to you, because they are taught to do so, and that's being fake in my mind. As a school that only became a national university that caters to populations outside of the state of South Carolina in the past few decades, Clemson's quality of education is mediocre at best. I am not the smartest student, but I did find the majority of my classes at Clemson to be taught rather slowly and the material to be unchallenging, until you meet a few tough professors teaching high-level classes specific to your major, and I've had 3 of those in my almost-3-years at Clemson (I am a junior).

I am very involved on campus: honor societies, community service clubs, CUSG, etc. But being the Director of Council of Diversity Affairs in CUSG, you realize how difficult it is to get support when you're 1. not in Greek life 2. vouching for minorities. While I am not against Greek life (I have friends in it), I do believe that Clemson makes it seem like going Greek is the only way to go; what about the people that think sisterhood/brotherhood is cliche and the people that can't afford it? There seems to be a lot of racial tension on campus, if not always apparent. While there are a lot of open-minded folks like me, I know many that didn't grow up the same way many South Carolinans did came to Clemson and conformed. As for social life, good luck finding something truly fun to do besides the outdoors, a tiny "downtown" without any clubs, and Greek parties. Like I said, Clemson could be right for you, but I love electronic music and raves, and there is no outlet for that here. Most of the social scenes you will encounter here will pay the top 40 songs and country music. There is but maybe 3 quality fashionable stores to shop at. And the choices of cuisine go as far as Thai and Mexican.

I cannot say Clemson is a really bad school, because it does have some great professors who truly care about your success, and it does have some great career resources. And the school has been really trying to put some initiatives into bettering the campus climate, especially pertaining to diversity. However, it is a conservative school, and traditions come first, so many changes are done slowly. I am leaving after this semester to the University of Miami. And I truly hope Clemson will become a more open-minded school one day.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Surrounding City: F
Nov 04 2014Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Well, getting in was easy.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
Sep 26 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Going to college, I wanted to move away from my hometown to a completely different part of the country from where I grew up. I didn't know anyone at Clemson, but they welcomed me with open arms and I fell in love with the place. There was a lot to do there and there was never a dull moment. I had a very intense four years of college there, as I busted my butt in classes to get good grades and learn everything I could, while getting the most out of campus life. I'm not sure if my experience is typical, but if you work hard and get involved at Clemson, you will learn skills and paradigms that will stick with you throughout life. I'll admit that when I talk to employers about Clemson, they know it more for our football program, but this is part of what gives Clemson a reputation for integrity and honor throughout the country. An employer looking at resumes of Clemson Alumni sees someone who is honest, hardworking, and honorable. Come to Clemson if you want to reinvent yourself into a family that is with you for life.
Starting Job: Government Account rep. Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A