StudentsReview :: Clemson University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Clemson University

Dec 23 2014Chemical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Hello my friends. Welcome to Clemson fucking University! Home of conservative Christians, self-absorbed faculty, and an engineering program notoriously known for kicking your ass. Let me be clear that this is coming from someone that loves Math and Chemistry. I knew that Chemical Engineering wasn't going to be anything like Chemistry. Let me make some comments about Clemson in general before getting into specifics. First, I was a transfer student that was accepted in the program last semester and first day I was the loneliest guy you could ever had imagine. My previous school that I went to was full of wonderful friends and great academics. It was a huge mistake transferring here, even though engineering is well known to people who have looked into Clemson's engineering program. To this day, I still hate being on this ugly campus. The only reason I transferred was because my degree has the brand name "Clemson" and is well respected throughout the country. As an in-state student, I believed that USC has a more friendlier atmosphere and understood students based on the faculty I spoke with in their engineering program. I almost lost my LIFE scholarship coming to this idiotic place. It's all about faculty's self absorbed non-sense when it comes to research, football, and greek life. 5 fraternity-sorority incident deaths, crappy football, and heartless faculty makes a students life miserable at a so-called top 20 university. Students get ripped off paying parking meter fees even though you have a decal and on top of that lab and humannity fees are added on top of your tuition and books. Nothing is affordable at Clemson unless you kiss your parents from head to toe and plead them to pay for your bills and iphone. I loved the material that was taught in the Chemical Engineering department, but man I tell you what even with 3 weeks of studying in advance I failed all those tests. It's a hard ass program and I had A's and B's in all my other classes. I was hoping for a co-op or internship this summer, but it's so hard to maintain a 3.0 or better to qualify for many good company jobs out there. The department is known for its' TA's and faculty for taking points off silly things on assignments,tests, and quizzes. Every week I go back to my home in rockhill because the place is so stressful and I hate seeing people happy because of football and greeklife. Clemson has made many engineering students' lives miserable. I wouldn't recommend this engineering program to anyone except those those that are snotty, know-it alls that get A's on everything without studying, and love to be around heartless faculty. The heartless faculty aka Dr.Getman are all hell and heartless. Get the fuck out everybody because you are about to suck up these jack asses that screw up your scholarship and a passion for a cool career where you don't use anything you learn in school.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
Dec 12 2014Preparatory
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
So I am an in-state student, but not really. I went to 4 different high schools in 3 different states and 2 different countries. However, the last high school I stayed at for 2 years was in Fort Mill, SC, hence the "in-state". But that gives you some insight on me: I am extremely open-minded and have an extremely diverse friend group. Clemson University was honestly the last choice on the list of colleges I got accepted into, including Brown and Vanderbilt; Clemson gave me the most scholarships. Oh, I am also Asian, which in most cases, your family expects nothing but Ivy League and top 25 universities (ranking of both public and private ones) from me. I also spent the first 15 years of life in Taiwan, where 70% of the nation's population reside in cities. The closest I've come to "southern" culture and the countryside was Fort Mill, SC, and that is still less than 10 minutes away from Charlotte, NC.

With all that said, Clemson can be great for you, if you're 1. from the South 2. into traditional, conservative ideals 3. love anything preppy 4. love the nature and the outdoors I am clearly not any of those. I am a city girl and always will be, and being at Clemson, other girls will criticize you for dressing "too revealingly" and pretend to be proper "southern belles" while they openly and sloppily hook up with strangers at parties. Almost everyone will be "friendly" and "polite" to you, until you realize they are racist and only being nice to you, because they are taught to do so, and that's being fake in my mind. As a school that only became a national university that caters to populations outside of the state of South Carolina in the past few decades, Clemson's quality of education is mediocre at best. I am not the smartest student, but I did find the majority of my classes at Clemson to be taught rather slowly and the material to be unchallenging, until you meet a few tough professors teaching high-level classes specific to your major, and I've had 3 of those in my almost-3-years at Clemson (I am a junior).

I am very involved on campus: honor societies, community service clubs, CUSG, etc. But being the Director of Council of Diversity Affairs in CUSG, you realize how difficult it is to get support when you're 1. not in Greek life 2. vouching for minorities. While I am not against Greek life (I have friends in it), I do believe that Clemson makes it seem like going Greek is the only way to go; what about the people that think sisterhood/brotherhood is cliche and the people that can't afford it? There seems to be a lot of racial tension on campus, if not always apparent. While there are a lot of open-minded folks like me, I know many that didn't grow up the same way many South Carolinans did came to Clemson and conformed. As for social life, good luck finding something truly fun to do besides the outdoors, a tiny "downtown" without any clubs, and Greek parties. Like I said, Clemson could be right for you, but I love electronic music and raves, and there is no outlet for that here. Most of the social scenes you will encounter here will pay the top 40 songs and country music. There is but maybe 3 quality fashionable stores to shop at. And the choices of cuisine go as far as Thai and Mexican.

I cannot say Clemson is a really bad school, because it does have some great professors who truly care about your success, and it does have some great career resources. And the school has been really trying to put some initiatives into bettering the campus climate, especially pertaining to diversity. However, it is a conservative school, and traditions come first, so many changes are done slowly. I am leaving after this semester to the University of Miami. And I truly hope Clemson will become a more open-minded school one day.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Surrounding City: F
Nov 04 2014Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Well, getting in was easy.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018