StudentsReview :: Clemson University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Clemson University

I would recommend Clemson to the right typeQuite BrightPolitical Science
I would recommend Clemson to the right type of person. One that is from South Carolina, has no better in-state options, does not expect to push or be pushed by their fellow students to perform their absolute best in the classroom and someone who is very interested in Greek life. I was kind of luke-warm about coming to Clemson from the start, but I was excited about coming to the South from the North. However, my excitement soon turned to borderline depression after about a semester in this rural wasteland. I am from an area of the country (Northern Virginia) that often romanticizes its kinsmen in the southern part of the state. However, after this semester I will never insult myself by referring to myself as a Southerner again. In all my years of education, I have never encountered a bigger collection of idiots than at this school. I did very well in high school and graduated with above a 4.0, but I have never been nor ever desired to be the smartest person in a given place. I just want to be as smart and successful as I can be. But dear Lord did I sometimes feel like the smartest person on this campus. The students from the state of South Carolina were by far the dumbest college students I have ever had the displeasure to study alongside. Most of the "valedictorians" of South Carolina high schools would have been in the mid to bottom half of my high school class in terms of grades. There is a reason why South Carolina high schools are ranked among the worst in the nation. The shallowness and lack of motivation in the student body was at many times overwhelming. The worst culprits were the members of the sororities and fraternities who refuse to acknowledge your existence unless you are a member of their legion of drunkenness and debauchery. With literally nothing worthwhile to do in the general vicinity of campus there is nothing to prevent the members of Greek life from reigning sovereign over the campus. If you don't have an in to their events, odds are you won't have much of a social life. On a positive note, I would like to address the academics of the school. Very impressed by how much I learned in a year here. The tools are there for students to use if they wish (which most don?t) to get a great education and set themselves up for success. I was a Language and International Trade major, which is a fantastic program. All of my professors were, with the exception of one math TA, great and were very available to their students. It?s a shame the delinquent student body is forcing me to transfer out of a program I really enjoy. Also as an observation to be taken into consideration, notice most of the positive reviews for Clemson on this site are written either by people from South Carolina or people were in Greek life. If you are from the North do not waste any of your precious college years here, odds are you are too smart for this school. Besides, there are way better schools in the North for you to even be considering schools in the most bigoted, arrogant, and white trash area of the country. My only hope for this review is to save students who are not meant for Clemson from Clemson. As a senior, I had a deep desire to get out of my home state and meet new and exciting people elsewhere. Now I will most likely be returning to my home state to resume my education with competent and ambitious people from the North. I personally will be transferring after this semester and couldn't be happier. Southern hospitality is dead, do not buy into the lies they will tell you on the tours. Best of luck to making your college decision.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Innovation: A, Education Quality: F
I have not seen any other reviews forBrightArchitecture & Urban Planning Department
I have not seen any other reviews for landscape architecture here. i find that interesting. A lot of people here complain about the social dynamics at Clemson. I thought the social dynamics were fine. people were friendly. I only did not like 2 students the entire time at Clemson: which is amazing because in other cities I have disliked many people. In cases where they don't like you they will at least friendly. If you recognize people with the same psychology and interests as you, you will find friends. the nightlife is pretty limited, but good enough. greenville is 45 minutes away and if you make a group trip is definitely worth it. I never cared about frats of sorority's and they were never mean to me. maybe a bit snotty and full of themselves but whatever. Overall the social dynamics are fine. if you know how to make friends and don't internalize social rejection to much it should be pretty fun.

On the other hand, i have some warning about the fine arts program, landscape architecture in particular.

- There are GREAT teachers in landscape architecture. BUT there are also some people in the faculty that have narcissistic disorders and even perhaps antisocial personality TRAITS.

- Some professors in landscape architecture, and many professors in liberal arts in general, are clinical narcissists no doubt:

- this means if you don't suck up to them immensely, or in anyway they perceive you as a threat they will give you bad grades. They have very vulnerable egos and even if its just asking questions related to course subject matter that they they don't know the answer to: they will hate you. because thats how clinical narcissists are. its amazing how extreme this phenomenon is. I've heard many similar stories from people in other fine art programs at Clemson and universities in general. The funny thing is, in some cases where work is produced to well, the narcissistic teachers will have the opposite of the appropriate reaction: they will be intimidated and give you bad grades. They don't care about you its all about power for them. They also get really upset when you don't do EverYthinG EXACTLY the way they tell you to. If they don't like you they can grade you however they want. Again, there are some EXCELLENT professors in the landscape architecture department at Clemson.

- if you graduate from this program and are not planning to go into academia as a career, realize you will likely not become an actual designer. you will most likely work at an urban planning firm doing other work. the program focuses extensively on urban planning, and there are not a great many jobs in urban planning that are really desirable. Even If you are a designer in this field, creativity will be constrained significantly by developers needing to cut costs as much as possible.

If you interested in designing real estate and residential properties, i would suggest going into a shorter term landscape DESIGN program. Even though landscape design schools are not as prestigious, they will teach design fundamentals, horticulture, business aspects, etc. the reason you don't need Clemson is all that matters at the end of the day when getting clients is PORTFOLIO and having social CONNECTIONS. you don't need 4 years of urban planning to do residential design. there is also more room for creative realization on micro scale projects like residential design.

There is a stereotype that liberal arts won't give you jobs. This is true. BUT realize this: liberal arts programs greatly harbor many clinical narcissists in faculty and administration. Even if your doing it just for the joy of art, these specific professors will ruin the fun for you. Unless and play the game so hardcore your literally restraining your academic growth.

Landscape architecture is definitely not worth it. maybe changes will be made to the program and it will get better. Right now the landscape architecture program at clemson needs lots of work.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
University Resource Use/ spending: A+, Scholastic Success: F
My choice to attend Clemson University has beenQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
My choice to attend Clemson University has been the best decision I have made in my life. It has taught me so much about myself and has challenged me to be a better student and person overall. It's a perfect mixture of good academics and a great social scene. I could not imagine myself anywhere else.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016