StudentsReview :: Clemson University - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

Clemson University

I think students needEducation
I think students need to maximize their learning. They need to take advantage of their learning, but they also need to gain valuable experience, such as work, learning how to work with teams, etc., while in college.
Awesome students and theBrightChemistry
Awesome students and the array of courses and challenge is perfect. The school itself is great, but the advising department is horrendous and registration is a huge hassle
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Individual Value: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
I would recommend Clemson to the right typeQuite BrightPolitical Science
I would recommend Clemson to the right type of person. One that is from South Carolina, has no better in-state options, does not expect to push or be pushed by their fellow students to perform their absolute best in the classroom and someone who is very interested in Greek life. I was kind of luke-warm about coming to Clemson from the start, but I was excited about coming to the South from the North. However, my excitement soon turned to borderline depression after about a semester in this rural wasteland. I am from an area of the country (Northern Virginia) that often romanticizes its kinsmen in the southern part of the state. However, after this semester I will never insult myself by referring to myself as a Southerner again. In all my years of education, I have never encountered a bigger collection of idiots than at this school. I did very well in high school and graduated with above a 4.0, but I have never been nor ever desired to be the smartest person in a given place. I just want to be as smart and successful as I can be. But dear Lord did I sometimes feel like the smartest person on this campus. The students from the state of South Carolina were by far the dumbest college students I have ever had the displeasure to study alongside. Most of the "valedictorians" of South Carolina high schools would have been in the mid to bottom half of my high school class in terms of grades. There is a reason why South Carolina high schools are ranked among the worst in the nation. The shallowness and lack of motivation in the student body was at many times overwhelming. The worst culprits were the members of the sororities and fraternities who refuse to acknowledge your existence unless you are a member of their legion of drunkenness and debauchery. With literally nothing worthwhile to do in the general vicinity of campus there is nothing to prevent the members of Greek life from reigning sovereign over the campus. If you don't have an in to their events, odds are you won't have much of a social life. On a positive note, I would like to address the academics of the school. Very impressed by how much I learned in a year here. The tools are there for students to use if they wish (which most don?t) to get a great education and set themselves up for success. I was a Language and International Trade major, which is a fantastic program. All of my professors were, with the exception of one math TA, great and were very available to their students. It?s a shame the delinquent student body is forcing me to transfer out of a program I really enjoy. Also as an observation to be taken into consideration, notice most of the positive reviews for Clemson on this site are written either by people from South Carolina or people were in Greek life. If you are from the North do not waste any of your precious college years here, odds are you are too smart for this school. Besides, there are way better schools in the North for you to even be considering schools in the most bigoted, arrogant, and white trash area of the country. My only hope for this review is to save students who are not meant for Clemson from Clemson. As a senior, I had a deep desire to get out of my home state and meet new and exciting people elsewhere. Now I will most likely be returning to my home state to resume my education with competent and ambitious people from the North. I personally will be transferring after this semester and couldn't be happier. Southern hospitality is dead, do not buy into the lies they will tell you on the tours. Best of luck to making your college decision.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017