StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

After being here for awhile I realized thatQuite BrightArt & Design Department
After being here for awhile I realized that I picked it based on the location and the amazing campus, instead of the people. If you are from the north like me and you want to be that sorority girl that just parties and hooks up with guys all the time, then this is the place for you. However, if you really want a welcoming, creative, and friendly college experience I would say you should probably look at other places. The south was just not for me.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D-
There is so much to say about CofC.Quite BrightPolitical Science
There is so much to say about CofC. I have made so many good, life long friends, joined a ton of clubs and club sports. I'm in my sophomore year at the school and I won't be returning next year for so very many reasons. While Charleston is so beautiful and a great place to visit, it gets so BORING after the first half of your first semester here. The city itself (at least the safe part of it) is so, so tiny!!! And there are so many people here so it looks huge but I can guarantee you will do everything there is to do first semester. There are NO good clubs here and all the bars 21 and over. So no fake, no nothing. House parties are okay but they get crowded and super boring easily because its usually a lot of people standing around drinking and no music or its run by frat guys and sorority girls that are snotty and slutty. It's also really expensive to do anything here. The only place to shop downtown for groceries is the harris teeter or cvs and they are soooo over priced. Safety is another huge thing,I knew before coming here that Charleston has the highest crime rate in South Carolina but I also knew that Campus Police were extremely helpful so I kind of blew it off. However, it's only February and more than 4 sexual assaults have taken place ON CAMPUS, two of which happened within 8 days of each other! When I say these happened on campus I mean legitimately the heart of campus. I absolutely DO NOT feel safe here anymore seeing as the last assault just happened right next to the campus police department. Another thing is the college itself likes to brag about how they treat everyone as an independent student and you wont be just another number...that is such crap! NONE of my teachers (as awesome as some of them were) knew my name. With the exception of my Italian teacher because there were only 12 people in my class. And it's not because I sat in the back and didn't participate. A lot of reviews say that there are small classes and good student to teacher ration, this too is crap. Almost all of my classes were in the range of 55-65 people and my bio classes were 100+. This means LOTS of group work because professors don't want to grade 65+ assignments for three different classes. Group work is a really popular thing here and its extremely annoying because you will at one point or another get stuck with the idiot pot head that does no work. My classes are so big this semester that everything is done by iclicker because they don't want to have to grade 100+ papers. The college totally sees you as a dollar sign, which is why you have to pay a "fee" for just about anything you can think of.

Drugs are a huge scene here too and while I don't mind so much what people do its a huge factor in why Charleston's crime rate is so high and a lot of people here are completely oblivious to that! Lots of college kids buy from local dealers and (along with other things) it just fuels the crime cycle which eventually affects them because houses get broken into, people get mugged, ect.

As a Political Science major I have to say that the college lacks diversity within the department. Almost all of the professors are flaming liberals, neoliberal or straight up socialists. While I'm not so much conservative I feel bad for all the conservatives here because the professors pretty much all think the same way. That being said a lot of the professors here are extremely brilliant and they are HUGE asset to the college.

I'm from SC but I feel awful for the students that go here that are not, it is so noticeable that they are treated as outsiders. Southern hospitality here is a complete joke. It is all fake smiles until they turn their backs and talk about how you should go back where you came from. I'm not a southern girl at all so its EXTREMELY annoying that at least half (if not more) of the people at this school are so very southern in the way they talk and act. Lots of snotty girls and guys who treat girls like complete dirt and try to walk all over them. And the 3:1 girl guy ratio is just awful, TOO MANY GIRLS!

The worst part about CofC is the lack of community. I feel absolutely NO sense of attachment to the school, which is sad seeing as I am involved as much as I possible can be and I know so many people who feel the same way. The school does a bad job of keeping any sense of community with the students. Part of that is because there is zero school spirit here. We just had homecoming and there wasn't a single sign up, I was sitting in my room and noticed a small scroll on the website saying it was homecoming. So sad. And while the mens basketball team is actually really good, thats it!! You really need to pay attention to student reviews from a broad spectrum before deciding to go here. There are a lot of good things about Charleston but the bad things are just as prevalent.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Scholastic Success: A, Education Quality: F
This review will be from the perspective ofBrightCommunications
This review will be from the perspective of an adult transfer, so it may or may not be helpful to the average student. It had been a dream to attend CofC for many years, and I finally got the opportunity this past spring semester. BUT...not without a challenge. I became a fan of the College on Facebook (I am not a huge FB fan, by the way) after applying last year so that I could keep up with the goings-on of the school. I read the countless testimonies of traditional students fresh out of high school being accepted within 1 to 2 weeks of applying. In the meantime, I had to beg the transfer department to accept me. Supposedly they were waiting on a transcript, which was in-house the whole time. It took 3 months for me to get accepted! Might I add that once this little transcript error was discovered, not a single apology was offered. AND, I still had to wait the normal number of weeks for my application to be processed because their rule is that it will be processed within a certain number of weeks AFTER all requirements are in. Wow! No bending whatsoever, even though it was their fault.

Some departments do not have an option to leave a voice message nor do they answer the phone. So email is the only means of communicating. That's fine except the senders are usually rude. My thing is this: if you're going to be rude, don't be a coward about it by hiding safely behind technology. They do not even address you by name or close the email properly. They just jump straight in with snippy angry comments. Of course, they never sign their name either and since you are emailing a department; i.e., financial aid, registrar, etc., there? no way of knowing who you are dealing with. I was all but told by an advisor that CofC was not for people like me (adult transfers who worked fulltime). So I was discouraged from the very beginning. Then, I was assigned a department advisor and she was very encouraging and told me that we could make things work for me, even if I was a non-traditional student. (So, not everyone has the same mentality, thank goodness!)

I am a native South Carolinian and have lived in Charleston for several years, although it is not home. In general, Charleston is very traditional (aka backwards thinking, prejudiced with a smile) and it took years for me to get use to how unwelcoming people are here once they realize you are not Charlestonian (trust me, they know you're not "one of them" after you speak two words). They call it "traditional and historical" but it is just another way of saying you don't belong (even other Southerners) if you are not from here. Well, CofC carries that same Charlestonian spirit. I even had a faculty member admit (before I even said my reason for leaving. Oh yeah, I can't wait to transfer for fall) that the college is not friendly to non-traditional students. There is so much opportunity for broadening the college's horizons and taking advantage of the adult transfer market by offering more evening and online courses. I realize the school wants to maintain its reputation as a traditional school; however, it is stupid when it does so by outright excluding certain groups. The "young people" may want to go to college with their own age group and I can totally understand them not wanting a campus full of 30 + year olds as their peers. But other colleges have a way of catering to all groups while still maintaining the youthfulness of a traditional setting. I think CofC needs to stop being snooty and get with the program. The "good ol boys" days are over!

1st Year Female -- Class 2014