StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

I am an out-of-state freshman and Charleston seemed like aQuite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I am an out-of-state freshman and Charleston seemed like a wonderful place to go to school. I have to say Charleston as a city is absolutely beautiful and great for walking. Overall my classes have kept me interested and are challenging and often rigorous. However, the student body is fairly lacking in a few areas. The girls are, for the most part, very preppy and wealthy, and focus more on tanning and partying than actual school-work. CofC also does not have a very friendly employee population. The professors are, in general, wonderful, but the people working housing, financial aid etc. are often very rude and unhelpful. It has been difficult finding a niche at CofC. You are either very preppy or a complete arts freak, both of which are not very welcoming. On the weekends there are few options outside of smoking weed or going to a party and getting completely trashed. The city has so many interesting places to see, but few of these local interests are utilized. While I love Charleston, the student body is less than satisfying and ultimately the reason for me transferring. CofC has the potential to be an amazing school, but the lack of school spirit brings it down a peg. People wear Clemson and USC gear more than CofC and that kind of says something in a small way. This school is great for some people, but not necessarily the best for others. Hopefully this is helpful.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: C
After being here for awhile I realized thatQuite BrightArt & Design Department
After being here for awhile I realized that I picked it based on the location and the amazing campus, instead of the people. If you are from the north like me and you want to be that sorority girl that just parties and hooks up with guys all the time, then this is the place for you. However, if you really want a welcoming, creative, and friendly college experience I would say you should probably look at other places. The south was just not for me.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D-
I remember going to the College of CharlestonQuite BrightBiology
I remember going to the College of Charleston campus tour and being thrilled by the campus. It was certainly the prettiest I had ever seen. The women WERE beautiful and the academics seemed very traditional and solid, which I liked.

Well I spent my full four years here. My first year was spent drunk or in the library. The second year I did in fact expand my horizons a bit and found myself doing cross country, dating hot women, and enjoying my classes a bit more. I studied abroad one semester, then finished a year and a half later here. In the last year I even met a few science professors that really did challenge me intellectually. In addtion, I did land an internship in microbiology at a school in NJ (near my home) one summer and found another professor that let me do research with him. Also, students were reasonably friendly, though many were extremely racist and closeminded. My father is Jewish and I once had a girl tell me the Jews brought the Holocaust on themselves for not accepting Jesus as their savior. SERIOUSLY! Oh yeah, and be prepared to be publicly yelled at if your religion is anything other than Christian.

Professors were pretty good, especially in the humanities. I found my science professors (aside from one) to be aloof and only interested in research, but that's probably true at many schools. I had to struggle to get on a research project with one however; few professors here are open to having the students work with them on independent projects, which are a necessity for grad school/some jobs.

So what's the problem? The Colleges' ability to get you a job. The College is continually increasing its tuition (esp. out of state) at something like 14% a year. The career services are a joke, and virtually everyone that stays ends up working at a hotel front desk. If a student decides to leave SC they will find nobody has heard of this school and thinks it's on par with University of Phoenix/Devry. Tell an interviewer in the northeast you went to "College of Charleston" and theres a 99.8% chance nobody has heard of it. Also the school is very very slack about getting their students internships. I got one, but I had to struggle to get it, and it was ironically near my home in NJ, not in SC. To rub salt in the wound, I'm pretty sure the career fair had every branch of the military show up, to try to allay students of impending unemployment. I literally know of nobody in my class so far, that has gotten a solid, permanent job. My guess is virtually all will go back to school at some point, however to try to fix this (myself included)I really regret not going to Rutgers and saving some $$ and having a real career network upon graduation. Once the dust settles you realize there is nothing special about this school other than the campus location. Hot women can be found at any college campus, and the entire city's economy is based on bars. Alcoholism is a serious problem here, even among people over 30 (significantly worse than other college campuses). There's also a lot of crime (robbed twice, had a friend get shot) and homeless people. Moreover, the downtown has recently replaced every single movie theater and cool store with overpriced clothing venues. Charleston's a great place to vacation, but not to live, and most certainly not to go to school.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011