StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

The staff is very rude and the schoolPsychology
The staff is very rude and the school has dumbed down considerably since I was there. I wish my daughter didn't have to attend but it is in our hometown. I have witnessed the staff and administration treat students very poorly. To quote one of my favorite CofC professors who is no longer with us, "Lets' not forget what side of the counter we are on" The College of Charleston has forgotten that they exist to serve the students and not the other way around.
I transferred here from a large school inQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I transferred here from a large school in pennsylvania (Penn State) because I was looking for something different. Well I certainly found that. Charleston is a very aesthetically pleasing place, and the downtown area is great. You're also only 15-20 minutes from many awesome beaches. However, I highly regret transferring here. I transferred to this school with close to a 4.0, but little did I know that they force you to "start over" with your GPA upon transferring. My first semester was atrocious, but what was worse was that my GPA was now completely wrecked and I'm stuck here. Getting anything done with the office of admissions or financial aid is impossible. The professors really lack proper communication skills with class assignments and changing due dates. The student body is a nightmare. Being a "northerner" does not help you down here. Many students come from within an hour of the school, and I can honestly say I have never had a more difficult time making friends. It seems like our student body is composed of nearly all women with a very small handful of men. Because of this, the school is overrun with snotty, rich, southern women with little diversity and a little too much southern pride. I don't have time for this. And what's worse? Now some pro-successionist, confederate loving, possibly racist and homophobic president is leading the school. This place is a mess to say the least, and I rue the day I transferred here. In addition, no one from anywhere else in the country even knows this place exists. If i could do it all over again, I would have gone so many other places. Now that my GPA is shot, I guess I'm stuck here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: F
There is so much to say about CofC.Quite BrightPolitical Science
There is so much to say about CofC. I have made so many good, life long friends, joined a ton of clubs and club sports. I'm in my sophomore year at the school and I won't be returning next year for so very many reasons. While Charleston is so beautiful and a great place to visit, it gets so BORING after the first half of your first semester here. The city itself (at least the safe part of it) is so, so tiny!!! And there are so many people here so it looks huge but I can guarantee you will do everything there is to do first semester. There are NO good clubs here and all the bars 21 and over. So no fake, no nothing. House parties are okay but they get crowded and super boring easily because its usually a lot of people standing around drinking and no music or its run by frat guys and sorority girls that are snotty and slutty. It's also really expensive to do anything here. The only place to shop downtown for groceries is the harris teeter or cvs and they are soooo over priced. Safety is another huge thing,I knew before coming here that Charleston has the highest crime rate in South Carolina but I also knew that Campus Police were extremely helpful so I kind of blew it off. However, it's only February and more than 4 sexual assaults have taken place ON CAMPUS, two of which happened within 8 days of each other! When I say these happened on campus I mean legitimately the heart of campus. I absolutely DO NOT feel safe here anymore seeing as the last assault just happened right next to the campus police department. Another thing is the college itself likes to brag about how they treat everyone as an independent student and you wont be just another number...that is such crap! NONE of my teachers (as awesome as some of them were) knew my name. With the exception of my Italian teacher because there were only 12 people in my class. And it's not because I sat in the back and didn't participate. A lot of reviews say that there are small classes and good student to teacher ration, this too is crap. Almost all of my classes were in the range of 55-65 people and my bio classes were 100+. This means LOTS of group work because professors don't want to grade 65+ assignments for three different classes. Group work is a really popular thing here and its extremely annoying because you will at one point or another get stuck with the idiot pot head that does no work. My classes are so big this semester that everything is done by iclicker because they don't want to have to grade 100+ papers. The college totally sees you as a dollar sign, which is why you have to pay a "fee" for just about anything you can think of.

Drugs are a huge scene here too and while I don't mind so much what people do its a huge factor in why Charleston's crime rate is so high and a lot of people here are completely oblivious to that! Lots of college kids buy from local dealers and (along with other things) it just fuels the crime cycle which eventually affects them because houses get broken into, people get mugged, ect.

As a Political Science major I have to say that the college lacks diversity within the department. Almost all of the professors are flaming liberals, neoliberal or straight up socialists. While I'm not so much conservative I feel bad for all the conservatives here because the professors pretty much all think the same way. That being said a lot of the professors here are extremely brilliant and they are HUGE asset to the college.

I'm from SC but I feel awful for the students that go here that are not, it is so noticeable that they are treated as outsiders. Southern hospitality here is a complete joke. It is all fake smiles until they turn their backs and talk about how you should go back where you came from. I'm not a southern girl at all so its EXTREMELY annoying that at least half (if not more) of the people at this school are so very southern in the way they talk and act. Lots of snotty girls and guys who treat girls like complete dirt and try to walk all over them. And the 3:1 girl guy ratio is just awful, TOO MANY GIRLS!

The worst part about CofC is the lack of community. I feel absolutely NO sense of attachment to the school, which is sad seeing as I am involved as much as I possible can be and I know so many people who feel the same way. The school does a bad job of keeping any sense of community with the students. Part of that is because there is zero school spirit here. We just had homecoming and there wasn't a single sign up, I was sitting in my room and noticed a small scroll on the website saying it was homecoming. So sad. And while the mens basketball team is actually really good, thats it!! You really need to pay attention to student reviews from a broad spectrum before deciding to go here. There are a lot of good things about Charleston but the bad things are just as prevalent.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013