StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

The staff is very rude and the schoolPsychology
The staff is very rude and the school has dumbed down considerably since I was there. I wish my daughter didn't have to attend but it is in our hometown. I have witnessed the staff and administration treat students very poorly. To quote one of my favorite CofC professors who is no longer with us, "Lets' not forget what side of the counter we are on" The College of Charleston has forgotten that they exist to serve the students and not the other way around.
Three years after I graduated I look backQuite BrightBiology
Three years after I graduated I look back on my undergraduate time at CofC. I went back to school at a better public school in NJ and now have a real job.

If you can't have fun in Charleston, the problem is you not the schools fault. Students were friendly, good looking (male and female), datable, and pleasant. And the nightlife was pretty good, and the beach and weather were excellent. And yes Charleston is a historic, wonderful city. However, I would instead vacation and not go to school here.

The college itself is percoeved by many as a stoner party school with mostly liberal arts majors. I got an internship (out of state) and eventually into additional schooling and got a good job. Most out of (and in state) people deride cofc saying its a weak school. The only degrees offered here worth any economic value are computer science and accounting. The rest are wortless throw aways, and given the cost of tuition that is always rising I wouldnt go here. All out of state students should avoid. If you're premed or majoring in the aforementioned 2 majors and knocked out your first 2 years and an in state community college its worth it. Otherwise do cc and go to clemson.

The local job market is pretty awful as well which makes getting local internships hard. Charleston has a high tax corrupt local government with strict building codes which discourages local business investment. Most jobs are in low paying recreation/food service fields, and even these are competitive. Apparently Boeing has a plant nearby, but with no engineering degrees offered, don't expect much luck from them.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: D-
I transferred here from a large school inQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I transferred here from a large school in pennsylvania (Penn State) because I was looking for something different. Well I certainly found that. Charleston is a very aesthetically pleasing place, and the downtown area is great. You're also only 15-20 minutes from many awesome beaches. However, I highly regret transferring here. I transferred to this school with close to a 4.0, but little did I know that they force you to "start over" with your GPA upon transferring. My first semester was atrocious, but what was worse was that my GPA was now completely wrecked and I'm stuck here. Getting anything done with the office of admissions or financial aid is impossible. The professors really lack proper communication skills with class assignments and changing due dates. The student body is a nightmare. Being a "northerner" does not help you down here. Many students come from within an hour of the school, and I can honestly say I have never had a more difficult time making friends. It seems like our student body is composed of nearly all women with a very small handful of men. Because of this, the school is overrun with snotty, rich, southern women with little diversity and a little too much southern pride. I don't have time for this. And what's worse? Now some pro-successionist, confederate loving, possibly racist and homophobic president is leading the school. This place is a mess to say the least, and I rue the day I transferred here. In addition, no one from anywhere else in the country even knows this place exists. If i could do it all over again, I would have gone so many other places. Now that my GPA is shot, I guess I'm stuck here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015