StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

College of Charleston is only fun for peopleQuite BrightCommunications
College of Charleston is only fun for people over 21. Sure, you can have a fake ID, but it's only a matter of time before the overbearing Charleston police get ahold of it, along with about $500 of your money. The city of Charleston itself is of course beautiful, but it's obvious that it is CofC's only redeeming quality. If you are from outside of South Carolina, whether it be from another southern state or from the north, you are S.O.L. The students here are very clique-ish and remain with the same groups of friends from high school. It's very difficult to get involved in campus organizations, as they are scarce to begin with, and the ones that do exist are not very active. After spending 2 years at the College, I am aware of it's reality as a money pit. The school only cares about marketing itself, not about the students it already has. I know of several alumni who cannot get a job because of the College's bad reputation. CofC is definitely for students who are from SC, want to stay in SC, and who have zero aspirations to succeed in the real world.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F
There is so much to say about CofC.Quite BrightPolitical Science
There is so much to say about CofC. I have made so many good, life long friends, joined a ton of clubs and club sports. I'm in my sophomore year at the school and I won't be returning next year for so very many reasons. While Charleston is so beautiful and a great place to visit, it gets so BORING after the first half of your first semester here. The city itself (at least the safe part of it) is so, so tiny!!! And there are so many people here so it looks huge but I can guarantee you will do everything there is to do first semester. There are NO good clubs here and all the bars 21 and over. So no fake, no nothing. House parties are okay but they get crowded and super boring easily because its usually a lot of people standing around drinking and no music or its run by frat guys and sorority girls that are snotty and slutty. It's also really expensive to do anything here. The only place to shop downtown for groceries is the harris teeter or cvs and they are soooo over priced. Safety is another huge thing,I knew before coming here that Charleston has the highest crime rate in South Carolina but I also knew that Campus Police were extremely helpful so I kind of blew it off. However, it's only February and more than 4 sexual assaults have taken place ON CAMPUS, two of which happened within 8 days of each other! When I say these happened on campus I mean legitimately the heart of campus. I absolutely DO NOT feel safe here anymore seeing as the last assault just happened right next to the campus police department. Another thing is the college itself likes to brag about how they treat everyone as an independent student and you wont be just another number...that is such crap! NONE of my teachers (as awesome as some of them were) knew my name. With the exception of my Italian teacher because there were only 12 people in my class. And it's not because I sat in the back and didn't participate. A lot of reviews say that there are small classes and good student to teacher ration, this too is crap. Almost all of my classes were in the range of 55-65 people and my bio classes were 100+. This means LOTS of group work because professors don't want to grade 65+ assignments for three different classes. Group work is a really popular thing here and its extremely annoying because you will at one point or another get stuck with the idiot pot head that does no work. My classes are so big this semester that everything is done by iclicker because they don't want to have to grade 100+ papers. The college totally sees you as a dollar sign, which is why you have to pay a "fee" for just about anything you can think of.

Drugs are a huge scene here too and while I don't mind so much what people do its a huge factor in why Charleston's crime rate is so high and a lot of people here are completely oblivious to that! Lots of college kids buy from local dealers and (along with other things) it just fuels the crime cycle which eventually affects them because houses get broken into, people get mugged, ect.

As a Political Science major I have to say that the college lacks diversity within the department. Almost all of the professors are flaming liberals, neoliberal or straight up socialists. While I'm not so much conservative I feel bad for all the conservatives here because the professors pretty much all think the same way. That being said a lot of the professors here are extremely brilliant and they are HUGE asset to the college.

I'm from SC but I feel awful for the students that go here that are not, it is so noticeable that they are treated as outsiders. Southern hospitality here is a complete joke. It is all fake smiles until they turn their backs and talk about how you should go back where you came from. I'm not a southern girl at all so its EXTREMELY annoying that at least half (if not more) of the people at this school are so very southern in the way they talk and act. Lots of snotty girls and guys who treat girls like complete dirt and try to walk all over them. And the 3:1 girl guy ratio is just awful, TOO MANY GIRLS!

The worst part about CofC is the lack of community. I feel absolutely NO sense of attachment to the school, which is sad seeing as I am involved as much as I possible can be and I know so many people who feel the same way. The school does a bad job of keeping any sense of community with the students. Part of that is because there is zero school spirit here. We just had homecoming and there wasn't a single sign up, I was sitting in my room and noticed a small scroll on the website saying it was homecoming. So sad. And while the mens basketball team is actually really good, thats it!! You really need to pay attention to student reviews from a broad spectrum before deciding to go here. There are a lot of good things about Charleston but the bad things are just as prevalent.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Scholastic Success: A, Education Quality: F
Party life!Not so bright
Party life!
party school? psht, try bar school. if your coming here to have fun, don't! there is no "party" scene here. everyone just pre games and goes to bars on king street. think about how much of a hassle that is; a cover charge =5 dollars, money for drinks to get drunk, getting a fake i.d. if your underage, possibly getting turned down if you have a fake (then your screwed b.c there is no house parties), plus the bars are not fun... everyone just stands around, theres no socializing. One of my older sisters go to Jmu, and i just love going up there. theres mad parties of all sorts. she always knows of about 4 or 5 for the night. all the parties are so much fun too! kegs, dancing, tonss of people, everyone is ready to rage...cofc is not like that at alll!! My other sister goes to Alabama and its not as fun as James madison, but its not all about bars.. but alabama is very southern and all about greek life. kinda like charleston.

CHARLESTONS STUDENTS!
charleston is very southern, everyone here basically looks alike.. you have your frat boys, your sorority girls, and your earthy/artsy hippies. by the way lets not forget the ratio : 70 percent girls.. and honestly i would say 10 percent of the guys here are gay.. so really there are like nooo guys here.. and all the straight cute guys are usually assholes b.c there are so many girls. by the way the girls are all gorgeous and go to class at 8 a.m. in heels!

The City!
a lot of people come here b.c they visit and love the city.. that was why i picked cofc... but i'm telling you now don't!!! the city is lovely and being 15 mins from the beach is great. honestly spring/summer is the only fun time b.c of the beach.. the fashion here is amazingg too and shopping is awesome, but they don't make up for the lack of night life/social life.

GREEK LIFE!
the greek life here is expected for all freshman. they all join, but they all end up dropping b.c the greek life here sucks! i joined tri delta my freshman yr. and dropped it my sophmore year. half my sisters dropped too!

CofC
now the actual school part is amazing.. all my professors are great teachers and i feel like ive learned so much, but theres schools out there that are amazing schools that also have a social life. PLEASE DONT COME HERE IF U LIFE TO PARTY/ HAVE FUN! i swear u'll regret it!

1st Year Female -- Class 2014