StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

I won't lie - Charleston is one ofQuite Bright
I won't lie - Charleston is one of the coolest places I've ever been in my life. It's historic and modern and bustling and peaceful all at the same time. However, DO NOT COME HERE FOR THE CITY. The school is not great. The classes are decent, albeit fairly easy, and the professors I've had are pretty good, but that's only part of the college experience.

The thing that makes Charleston a lousy place to go to school are the students. If you're from one of the feeder high schools and already know 30 or 40 people, go for it. You'll be happy. If you're not, then you are not going to have a good experience. It doesn't matter how nice or outgoing you try to be; people are NOT welcoming. I'm an out-of-state freshman, and I have never had a problem making friends before. Ive moved 4 times (cross country) and each time I've made friends within the first few days. Here at C of C however, people already know each other, and they don't want anymore friends, especially Yankee friends. I've never felt more alienated. Southern comfort does not exist here.

The school also has a feel distinctly like high school, probably because everyone who goes here all went to the same high schools, know each other, and thrive on all the petty drama. The girl to guy ratio sucks big time, and if you don't look like a perfect barbie doll, prepare to practically join a convent for the next 4 years; boys aren't even going to look at you. And even if you are absolutely stunning, they may not talk to you anyway.

The girls here are, as a majority, incredibly snooty and critical of each other. It's not uncommon to see all the girls in your 8AM class dressed up like they're going to a wedding or a party with flawless makeup and hair. If you want to wear sweatpants, you will be the only one. And forget about going to the library in pajama bottoms or sweats, because it's more a social experience than an academic one. Overall, the vibe is incredibly superficial.

In addition, there is no school spirit. There's no football team, and more people wear clemson or usc gear than c of c shirts.

And I have to touch on this one last time - if you do not live within an hour drive of the school, do not come here. The local students don't want you here. they frown upon any type of diversity - racial, geographic, religious, etc. It is an openly hostile environment to anyone from up north. I've been told, in passing, that I'm "corrupting" the Charleston way, because I'm from out-of-state, and that I should go back to where I came from. I'm transferring next year to a school where the academics are solid, people are proud to be part of a community, students are trying to grow up and leave high school behind, and diversity is looked upon with a smile. College is supposed to be a place for experiencing new ideas and new things, not a place for closed-mindedness.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
After being here for awhile I realized thatQuite BrightArt & Design Department
After being here for awhile I realized that I picked it based on the location and the amazing campus, instead of the people. If you are from the north like me and you want to be that sorority girl that just parties and hooks up with guys all the time, then this is the place for you. However, if you really want a welcoming, creative, and friendly college experience I would say you should probably look at other places. The south was just not for me.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D-
CofC was my first choice when I wasQuite BrightCommunications
CofC was my first choice when I was applying. I will say that the campus is beautiful and I like my classes THIS semester. However, many classes are dull and all together easy to miss. There is a strict attendance policy, which has harmed a few of my grades. This is awful especially in the classes that I could ace without going to. Some classes are challenging, but as long as you go to them you can easily keep up. The worst part about this school are the students and campus activities. It is difficult to find anything interesting to do. Smoking weed and getting wasted are you're only options. This sounds great, but it gets reallly old. The students will be nice to your face, but turn around and you will get a knife in the back. The only way to fit in here is if youre a rich sorority/fraternity kid with amazing looks. they all look down on everyone and if you dont fit into a group from the beginning, you're screwed. It's VERY cliquey and I will be transferring immediately. The group I had last year all either transferred or flunked out. It's an unhealthy lifestyle here with kids not worth getting to know. Don't waste your money, don't go here!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012