StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

The biggest statement I would like to makeAverageBiology
The biggest statement I would like to make about CofC can be summed up by one conversation. In Barnes and Noble a woman told me she thinks that people on campus are a bit rude and she is disappointed in the lack of Southern Hospitality in Charleston in general as well as the campus. When I asked her where she was from, she responded "Ohio". There are more "Notherners" in Charleston than "Southerners". CofC is a decent school. Not for everyone, but what school is? I agree with nearly every review on here, negative and positive. I am from South Carolina, but I'm from a place where everyone is from the South. In fact, everyone grew up in the same town and went to the same elementary, middle, and high schools as their parents and grandparents. I don't necessarily fit into the social scene at CofC, but I don't live on campus and I have a life outside of school, so I really don't care. I am surprised at how few students have jobs and how many students aren't worried about failing classes because "their parents are paying for them". Seems to me it would be even worse to waste money that isn't yours. Anyway, the scenery is beautiful, the beaches are fun, the weather is great, and most of the people in my classes are accepting and though we aren't in the same social groups, we can all have decent conversation and a good time. Great school, great times.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: C-
Coming to College of Charleston was literally theAverageBusiness - Management and Administration
Coming to College of Charleston was literally the best decision I have ever made. I could not imagine myself anywhere else and I never want to leave ever, this place is paradise. Not to mention its 70-30 ratio of girls to guys and all of these girls are beautiful.If you dont come here you have no idea the fun your missing!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Maintenance: F
I am a freshman this year and IQuite BrightEducation
I am a freshman this year and I am from South Carolina. I was not looking forward to coming to CofC. I had wanted to go to another university closer to my home. The university I wanted to go to did not offer me enough money to balance out the extreme cost. CofC was my next option. I had a very hard time when trying to request a roommate and a place to live. This year-2011-CofC had 300 extra freshman attending! So I ended up not getting to room with the person I had originally wanted to and I was living in a different place than requested. My roommate did not contact me until 1 WEEK before move-in day! I have had the worst experience with her! She is the roommate from hell! The first week of living with her was terrible! She is nothing like her profile and is a messy slob! She even threw up on my carpet the first week and then tried to deny it! Talk about ruining my expectations for a good roommate that I could hang out with and get along with. The college does not to a good job of announcing when activities are! They send out emails with a few events but nothing that students attend. Compared to all my other friends in college CofC has done the least! CofC has not had anything to help incoming freshman meet new people. No dorm activities, no outside events, nothing! I also have not had a good experience with the party scene. I myself am not a partier and do not smoke or drink. I feel like the only things to do on the weekends down here is get drunk or high! There is nothing to do for people who know how to have fun sober and staying in. I also feel that everyone here at the college likes to party and there are a limited amount of people who are like me and dont party. I have also been pretty homesick and missing my family. That has been another issue. Everyone here is ready to get out of the house and party it up and not care. I do not know of a single person here to talks to their parents regularly or even misses them! I guess that is what I get-I am came from a very close knit family who was not strict on me and allowed me to have freedom. I feel like people here dont care and only want to party. Another problem here is everyone smokes cigarettes! It is disgusting! Everywhere I look someone if not multiple people are smoking. Both girls and guys do it and personally I think it is a nasty habit! Now dont get me wrong, the city of Charleston is beautiful but it is over priced and full of scary dangerous people! All in all I am hoping that my year at CofC gets better, but I am hoping that my parents will let me transfer next year somewhere better!
1st Year Female -- Class 2015