StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

I went to CofC and majored in ArtHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I went to CofC and majored in Art History, and it has helped me tremendously. I currently attend a top 5 grad school in London, and I absolutely feel my undergrad degree helped me become one of the top 2 in the class! The professors are amazing and extremely helpful and give excellent advice even after you graduate. I was lucky enough to go on a study trip with Prof. Ibarra my junior year to Italy, and that experience really inspired me to find a graduate school where they championed in situ art historical studies! Could not recommend this program more highly!
I have had onlyQuite BrightGeography and Geosciences
I have had only pleasant experiences while at the College of Charleston. The faculty have been incredibly supportive, and have been genuinely interested in MY interests. I only wish that I could do it all over again!
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B
I am an undergraduate student here, and IQuite BrightEducation
I am an undergraduate student here, and I am about to begin a graduate degree in the Fall of 2015--so I can only speak from the undergraduate perspective. The College of Charleston is honestly one of the best places that you can receive your undergraduate degree. The reasoning behind this is that it places its emphasis on WHO YOU ARE AS A PERSON AND WHAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN as opposed to how much money that you can bring to the college. I have friends that have transferred into the College of Charleston from Clemson, USC, Ole Miss, UGA, UVA, UCLA, etc. and they honestly hate the fact that they didn't transfer in sooner. I also have one brother that goes to a school back home up North and he envies the faculty attention and one-on-one interaction that I get with professors at the College of Charleston. The small class sizes and closeness with the faculty are one of the primary reasons why I came here, as well as the opportunities to do internships and volunteer in areas that you are interested in around the city.

There are a few people that might complain about the campus climate and the "campus feel" (because we are in a small city, our campus isn't necessarily a traditional campus) but whenever they complain I just roll my eyes. Those people aren't taking advantage of all of the awesome opportunities that the College of Charleston has to offer, as well as all of the great things that the city of Charleston has the offer. The school is so integrated with the city of Charleston, so why not go out and explore? Why not take that chance? I once had a friend during the first semester that never went to class or didn't join any clubs or organizations (her choice) yet complained that she was bored. Well...of course you are! You're not doing anything. She ended up transferring to USC and continued to not be involved, and continues to complain about her college experience. The bottom line here is: get involved in something that you're passionate about. It can make all the difference when you graduate and apply for jobs.

Some students say that they would like a football team, but if football games are the only reason that you attend college then you seriously need a reality check. College is about academics first and foremost, and the College of Charleston does that extremely well. Additionally, jobs and internships are plentiful--they want you to use the liberal arts education to your best ability, and most students really do take advantage of that. Our university is also one of the only universities in the nation that has a leadership center, which can help students that are majoring in everything from education to business to exercise science. It's a great way to professionally develop.

I was in the Honors College--dropped at the end of my freshman year. It's a great experience for students who are seriously interested, but definitely think about it before you apply/accept your invitation. They make you take calculus regardless of your major (so as an elementary education major I had to take calculus) and also make you take other required classes as part of your Honors curriculum. It's a great program for students who are interested in pre-med or law, but honestly leaves student who are interested in the arts or the humanities on the short end of the stick unless they come in with tons of AP/IB credit (which I came in with 34 hours and still couldn't complete the requirements on time). It is definitely an awesome program, though--just not for me. I would've had to stay at the College of Charleston for another semester after I had graduated and had student taught just to finish the Honors College requirements, and I didn't think that it would be beneficial for me to stay in school for another extra semester just for this Honors requirement.

The faculty are extremely helpful. The office hours are plenty and they are always ready to help you. The education department here routinely scores the highest in the state of South Carolina on Praxis exams and also graduates superb teachers. The faculty are amazing and the program rocks. I am out of state, and the College of Charleston has really become my home. If you enjoy a rigorous curriculum and faculty that care about how you grow not only as an academic but also as a person, this school is for you. The school really cares about you and what you study. My other friends that go to other schools don't get the same type of welcome and warmth that I do--and I know that this is purely anecdotal, but I think that it speaks volumes. This is a great school to attend. You won't regret it.

4th Year Female -- Class 2015