StudentsReview :: The College of Charleston - Comments and Student Experiences

Tulane University -- New Orleans, LA
University of South Carolina Columbia -- Columbia, SC

The College of Charleston

I LOVE COFC! its paradise and vacation andQuite BrightEnglish
I LOVE COFC! its paradise and vacation and soooo much fun...i honestly forget im at school sometimes. the school is great too and ive learned so much..but you have to work at it like any other college. if you put in the work, it will pay off and your grades will reflect it. plus the good weather/beach/atmosphere keeps you grounded...whenever im stressed i have some nice relaxing down time at marion square or at the beach with friends followed by great meals up and down king st followed by great social/night life. i love this place im never leaving. you can be whoever you want to be here and be apart of multiple scenes. my first year i didnt join a sorority and had a BLAST and made a ton of friends..soph year i joined one just for fun and for another activity and i love it even though im not a huge prissy sorority girl. this school gets better and better by the second!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C+
College of charleston is amazing and its popularityBrightEducation
College of charleston is amazing and its popularity is growing quickly. any person who has heard of it/been there/went there that i talk to is obsessed just as much as i am. there is SO much to do with the great weather and being located in downtown charleston and 10 min from the beach. its so easy to get involved and meet people...really easy to find your niche and crew of people. i feel like i have known my group of friends there for years and were from all over the us map. being from the north, i have bumped into some grumpy southerners who hate 'yankees' and are still stuck in the war but its pretty rare..95% of the people are really nice. this place is amazing and people always go back and live there in the summers or after graduation. i highly reccommend cofc i love it! overall----

positives:
-beach/weather
-location (beautiful historic downtown charleston)
-size (10,000...you see people you know alot but its not too small where everyone knows your business all the time)

-small class sizes
-housing (dorms and houses)
-people are fun and down to party all day everyday
-bars (easy to get in with a decent ID at most bars)
-easy to meet people
-restaurants/shopping
-able to walk everywhere
-dining halls are great compared to other colleges
-ranked highly academic wise
negatives:
-sports (besides basketball) not a big deal/no football team
-girl to guy ratio (WE NEED MORE GUYS AT THIS SCHOOL) its 63% chicks

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C+
In high school I took all Honors andQuite BrightPsychology
In high school I took all Honors and AP classes and worked hard. I was sort of worried about going to CofC because I thought the school wouldn't challenge me enough. I also worried it would be a huge party school. Both of these worries turned out to be unfounded!

Some of my favorite things about CofC are:

- The size (10,000).
I like that it's bigger than my high school but it's not huge. I see people that I know walking around campus all the time but it's not so small that everyone knows everyone else (and their life story). 10,000 ppl is also small enough that classes aren't large. All of my classes, including intro/gen ed requirements, have been about the same as my high school classes (30ish people).

- Campus/Charleston
Another thing I really like about CofC is the campus. Not only is it really pretty (like most college campuses) but it is IN Charleston. I don't have a car at school which really hasn't been a problem at all because everything you need is within 4 blocks of the school. We have a CVS, multiple convience stores, clothing stores, craft stores, and a million restaurants. There is also a Harris Teeter that is less than 1/2 mile away and very walkable. Even though we're IN Charleston the campus is pretty much exclusively students. Tourists and city people don't wander the block over from King Street to loiter on campus.

- Liberal Arts
CofC is liberal arts which has been such a good thing for me. It's nice not to have to start in on your major requirements during your freshman year. Although I really hated some gen eds (like calculus for example), it's nice to have time during your four years to take classes for 'fun' or ones you might like to explore but not major in. I've taken aerobics, women's & gender studies, and intro to religion to fill gen ed requirements even though I'm a psych major. And if you don't know what you want to major in, it's a good way to figure it out (I know that sounds like a college website - but it's true!).

- CofC Clubs
There are a lot of clubs and it's really easy to get involved in them (if you so choose). I'm the secretary of the Student Alumni Associates, the secretary of my sorority, and I'm in Phi Eta Sigma honor society. There are a million other clubs to choose from also (Habitat for Humanity, Student Gov't, Charleston 40 tour guides, sororities - although greek like isn't huge...).

- Nice dorms (suite-style, not hall style)
- Cafeteria (Liberty) is actually good and I'm not kidding!
Things to Note at CofC:

- The library is not open 24 hours a day. It is during exam time but otherwise it closes at 1. Although 1 is normally late enough it would be nice to have the option to stay longer.

- School Spirit is lacking in terms of sports. Students really love CofC however sporting events are not huge (not like high school football games, for example). It may be partially due to the fact that the basketball teams are the only sports played in Charleston (the rest you have to drive to on James Island or where ever).

- It is not a very religious school so if you are super religious it might not be a great fit. People are religious but clubs like FCA are not very big and many students do not attend religious services (for favor of sleeping in)

- It's not diverse at all in terms of race. There might be one non-white person in each of my classes, hardly any hispanics, asians... The types of people at the school are diverse (artsy, smart, dumb, preppy...) but they are basically all white

- CofC is NOT a party school. Like any college, there are parties but it's not crazy like it's reputation claims. My roommate freshman year was an expection but most students have a healthy balance on school work and fun.I hope this is helpful and not just a rambling list! I got a little carried away but I feel like the more information you get when choosing a college the better! I had a hard time adjusting to CofC my first year but this year has been great and I really wouldn't consider going anywhere else!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012