StudentsReview :: Francis Marion University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 1
Males 2
Avg years at University 2.3
Research Quality C (4.3)
Research Availability D+ (3.3)
Research Funding C+ (5.2)
Graduate Politics B- (6.0)
Not Errand Runners 10 (10.0)
Degree Completion C+ (5.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.3)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.1)
Competitiveness A- (8.2)
Education Quality B (7.1)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.0)
Useful Research C+ (5.2)
"Individual" treatment B (7.1)
Friendliness B (7.1)
Safety A- (8.7)
Campus Beauty A+ (9.7)
Campus Maintenance A (8.9)
University Spending B (6.8)
Extracurriculars C+ (5.2)
Scholastic Success B (7.1)
Surrounding City C- (4.0)
Social Life/ Environment C (5.0)
Research AvailabilityD+
Not Errand Runners10
I finished my Bachelor's degree and decided toDec 20 2014Education
I finished my Bachelor's degree and decided to go for a Master's just to discover this place is really worse than I had thought. Professors are totally incompetent and don't know answer to questions. Grading is arbitrary. If the professor likes you you get good grade. If you are black, don't count on getting good grade. They are very racist here even black people are trained to look down at you because you are black. The security people follow you in halls to make sure you don't cause any trouble. I understand there is a lot of crime, gangs, and stuff; but they really make your miserable if you are black even when you are innocent.
This school is nothing but a high schoolNov 19 2010Education
This school is nothing but a high school for failed adults. I really don't know how this school would be licensed to grant graduate degrees, when professors have no qualifications to teach in college let alone graduate students. I am not even going to talk about the intellectual environment; it's a desert. There is nothing academic or intellectual here.
I came into theFeb 27 2010Business - Management and Administration
I came into the MBA program with two liberal arts degrees. I love FMU! The faculty are great...very insightful. They know the subject matter and make sure you know it too. Class projects are the norm with presentations in nearly every class. I have learned so much about the business world!
Is this school licensed to give graduate degrees?Jan 29 2010Education
Is this school licensed to give graduate degrees? This was the question that came to my mind after my first semester. This is very much like a High School, with professors who have no credentials whatsoever to be teaching graduate courses. There is no research in place, no discussion of any kind; just busy work. If the professor likes you, you get an A if he doesn't you get D. Why? Because that's the way it is!!
I wouldn't recommend this "university" to anyoneMay 06 2007Business - Management and Administration
I wouldn't recommend this "university" to anyone. It is losers' place and I resent coming here. Besides the campus, there is absolutely nothing here. Instead of improving conditions, the administration spends all the money on advertising and recruitment, because they can't keep students. Nothing is done about crime. People come to FMU to buy drugs and rob students. The administration doesn't care and the professors are afraid to talk about it. Very depressing!!!!
I don't know how the administration of thisMar 19 2007Business - Management and Administration
I don't know how the administration of this school gets its ideas. This is no graduate school. The campus will bore you to death. There's nothing to do here. Don't come here unless you have never experienced boredom and you want to give it a try. It is literally a prison. I'm not joking. In addition to crime and poor faculty, everyone is depressed here. After one semester, it's enough for me.
Feb 12 2007Education
Is this school licensed to grant graduate degrees? If so, you may as well get it from a vending machine. This school is a joke.
No community, poor academics, and dirty politics! GoodNov 16 2006Education
No community, poor academics, and dirty politics! Good professors are either retiring or leaving for other universities. Over half of the recruits, the lucky, drop out within a year. Those who keep going, end up unemployed and depressed. Why isn't FMU publishing information about its demographics? How about the professors' and the administrators' vitas? Don't expect that from FMU; because any study of this universsity will reveal total incompetence, corruption, racism, and fraud. This place is a mess! I don't know about undergraduate studies at FMU, but I know there is nothing here that qualifies as graduate. If you don't believe me, check out the courses taught at this courses and the qualifications of the faculty.
I have completed at this school a BAOct 07 2006Education
I have completed at this school a BA and will be finishing my MA in about a year. Practically, I don't know any other university other than FMU, which I attended religiously for over 5 years. While here, I have experienced so much struggle that I was able to overcome every time and thought it was important to fit in. They like to keep you in, but also constantly threatening you. So, as a devout Christian and grew up to accept whatever is thrown at me, I have never challenged anyone. Unfortunately, I found most of FMU faculty and staff unhelpful, arrogant, or self absorbed. After attending EdTech 2006 in Myrtle Beach, I was shocked to find out about all the technology of education that I have been missing. At FMU, you are lucky to see a projector twice a year. They keep you busy in meaningless and archaic activities all the time. So, if you work hard and get an A, you are no better than those who get lower grades. Because, you are not learning anything new and you are not practicing with new technology to solve situations. At FMU, you are kept away from the World. If your professors are inadequate and you have no access to resources, you have no chance to succeed. These ideas that came to my head got me depressed about my entire experience at FMU. I felt cheated and embarrassed for not getting it until it is too late. I didn't know even about this site until someone mentioned it to me at the conference.
This place is boringJul 30 2006Education
This place is boring. I don't know how I made a mistake to come here. There is simply no life in this place. As for academic stuff, I checked out few of my professors and I was shocked to discover most of them have a very poor record of scholarship. A good place to retire on the job!
I came here because of the weather andJun 26 2006Business - Management and Administration
I came here because of the weather and the proximity to Myrtle Beach. But, I found out this place is a dead end. There is simply nothing academic going on!! The faculty and staff seem depressed and uninterested. As for my specialization in International Business, there is nothing international here . . . This is what one of my professors told me and he was quite courageous; because such a comment makes it to the administration, the guy will be sent away.
Compare FMUSave FMU