StudentsReview :: Furman University - Comments and Student Experiences

Wake Forest University -- Winston-Salem, NC
Davidson College -- Davidson, NC

Furman University

Coming from a big city, I wanted to

May 10 2014PreMed and Medical
Coming from a big city, I wanted to learn a different culture but Furman should have not been the place for me to go. Furman is a bubble, what people DONT tell you is that professors practice EXTREME grade deflation, students are not kind and welcoming to those of another ethnicity, there is NO school spirit, and greek life rules everything. Academics are unnecessarily hard and not worth the expensive tuition. Students wear dresses, suits, cowboy boots, chacos, and jack rodgers everywhere!! If you don't dress like the southern sorority girls then you won't fit in. You will be constantly judge by everyone. The dining hall sucks and there is never anything to eat. If you are from the North or a big city DO NOT COME!!! It's another high school without much diversity. This school is for snobby, rich white children who parents graduated years ago. It's not worth the money so don't waste your time. Don't fall into the beautiful campus, that's all Furman cares about.
University Resource Use: A, Individual Value: F

Furman University is concerned with one thing

Apr 28 2014Music Education
Furman University is concerned with one thing...itself. You may go to Furman thinking that everyone is nice and the campus is pretty, but the school should change it's motto from "Christo et Doctrine" to "Pretty on the outside and ugly on the inside."

Everyone at Furman is concerned with themselves. You are expected to be a hardcore drinker if you want to fit into the student body, and God help you if you don't get a bid for a fraternity of a sorority. Those fraternities and sororities run the different departments at the school.

I could recite to you my entire undergraduate schedule, but I cannot tell you one thing I learned at Furman University. I was abused emotionally by more than one professor, and I was so worn out by the end that I couldn't even think straight.

In retrospect, you need to go a HUGE state university where there are plenty of people there just like you. You can find them because the campus is just so big. Furman is an insulated Christian school (don't let them fool you, they're still CLEARLY tied to the Baptist church somehow) but Furman does not act like a Christian school. I even told the President that drinking on campus was rampant, and he didn't seem to care. He told me his son loved it. Go figure.

If you want to be brutalized for being different. If you want to feel lonely all the time because you don't drink and don't act like an idiot 24/7, then you need to steer clear of Furman. If you're the kind of person who picks on people who don't drink or don't fit in, Furman is the place.

I don't even display my degree because I'm ashamed of the stunning lack of integrity this university possesses.

Starting Job: Teacher Preparedness: F Reputation: F

This is an academically challenging school and the

May 22 2014Unknown
This is an academically challenging school and the professor's are very supportive but will give the grade you have earned...There is no grade inflation and you will work very hard and learn so much but you will have a lower gpa most likely, than your peers from other colleges...That being said, Furman is very well known in academia. Students get into excellent graduate schools, with many hard working, highly intelligent students having their advance degrees fully funded..Students who excelled at Furman also got into medical and law schools, often their first choice. Furman does understand this school is not for everyone and makes it easy for students to transfer...A few from my year transferred to excellent schools, again because of the supportive professor's and Furman's academic reputation...I really love this school. I am from New England and came to college not caring or wondering what I or my classmates choose to wear to class....honestly no one cares..My roommates and I roll out of bed and go to class in T shirts and sweats..The kids who dress up for class would confidently wear their pearls and heels and Jcrew, even if they attended Berkley or Reed.. they are just being themselves and are often the ones being judged in a negative way for their attire..This is a more formal conservative area of the country .Furman is a Southern school & also has an opened minded, welcoming culture...The student leader representing the Democratic Party and student leader of the Republican Party were both roommates and best friends which was pretty cool. People are nice here and the academics are great and diversity is desired, accepted and increasing. This has been my experience at Furman and it has been positive.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015