StudentsReview :: Furman University - Comments and Student Experiences

Wake Forest University -- Winston-Salem, NC
Davidson College -- Davidson, NC

Furman University

The faculty at Furman have been attentive, supportiveBrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
The faculty at Furman have been attentive, supportive and have help me develop into an excellent student. This is a Southern school with a friendly, very welcoming culture, to everyone. This has been my experience. I am happy here as are almost all my friends and classmates. Be prepared to work hard, but know you will receive the guidance and support you need to succeed, as long as you are willing to do your part. If you come to Furman you can party a lot, but you most likely will not do well. You really have to put the time in and be responsible to do well academically.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: B
I thought Furman was what I was lookingArt & Design Department
I thought Furman was what I was looking for in a college. I was wrong.
The quality of education is decent; people like to complain about the workload as if it is the hardest thing in the world, and while there is a *lot* of work, I wouldn't say the actual difficulty of it is as impossible as you might hear. It's more that you have to be willing to put in a whole lot of time. The phrase "Ivy League of the South" gets thrown around a fair bit, which is kind of silly.

Classes were a mixed bag, with a fair few average professors but also some truly wonderful ones; things can sometimes get frustrated by either the handful of bad professors (come on, every school's got 'em), or more often the students in the classes themselves.

The main thing about Furman, to me, is how very superficial it is. Everything looks wonderful on the surface, from the carefully maintained campus grounds to the girls dressed in heels and pearls at their 8 a.m. classes. As others have said, this school looks great on paper, and is fantastic at selling itself through tours and pamphlets, but the reality is mixed. There is very little diversity in the student body, and this grated on me more and more with every passing year. A lot of rich, conservative, ultrareligious kids. Growing up in the South, I thought I was used to being in the minority just because I was a liberal, but Furman took that feeling to a whole new level. Complete socioeconomic and cultural monotony. The nickname "The Bubble" is very deserved; Furman is its own little world. I went stir-crazy enough that my first job after school was in another country entirely, and I burned out on academia despite previous plans to stay in school for a very long time.

The school administration is most concerned with two things: looking fantastic and glossy from the outside, and obtaining as much money as possible. The leaps in tuition increases just over four years were absolutely insane; scholarships are given in fixed amounts, so although I went in on a half-ride, I left on about a quarter-ride. There are a lot of expensive beautification projects - and granted, the campus is gorgeous, but we used to joke about how half our tuition went straight to the industrial-strength leaf blowers and a few more swans for the lake.

I can't say my experience was completely bad. I liked my department a lot - I actually had never planned to pick that major but got sucked in, while my original department of choice was a disappointment - and I did have a small but close circle of like-minded friends that probably kept me from transferring out to another university. My life would be radically different right now had I gone elsewhere. But if I could do it again I would probably choose a different university. Certainly I don't recommend this school to people without reservations.Think very, very carefully about what you value in a college experience before coming here.

Upon coming to Furman 2 years ago, IQuite BrightArt & Design Department
Upon coming to Furman 2 years ago, I thought it would be just what I wanted: a small liberal arts school with a great music dept., strong academics, a good reputation, and a beautiful campus. Furman is all of those things, indeed. However, as I have grown as an individual over these last years I have begun to realize that this was not the right choice for me. Sure, it looks good on paper, but it's not what it seems. Classes at Furman are ridiculously hard, and many a professor picks "favorites". I have been stuck with a B- GPA for the past year (despite hours on end of studying) and it's not budging, while many of my ditzier friends seem to always get A's and B+'s. Be prepared for frustration: the equation "worker harder and you'll do better" does not apply at Furman. The student body here is very white and Southern Baptist, and generally very boring. Girls go to classes perfectly coiffed, complete with pearls and heels. The social life here is, well, nonexistent. I frequently come back to campus at 10 or 11 at night and can't find a parking space because NO ONE EVER LEAVES. Your only hope of having a social life and fitting in is joining a greek organization. Sure, I have friends, but I have felt for two years like I don't belong just 'cause I'm an independent. Of course Furman requires everyone to live on campus for 4 years, but doesn't allow students (even those of age) to possess alcohol. The administration refuses to allow condoms to be distributed anywhere on campus, including the Infirmary, because it refuses to acknowledge that students here have sex. Sexual violence, esp. date rape, is a problem here (as it is many other campuses), but Furman seems to try to hide the statistics from its students and offers little support for victims (the worse disciplinary action against a date rapist was a $500 fine). Furman truly is unlike the real world, and is little preparation for a life in it. This idealistic "bubble" is really Hell with a pretty facade. The academic frustration and mentality of the administration and most students here has completely drained me of motivation, interest, and a desire to learn. Furman will suck you dry, emotionally, mentally, and financially. I regret not attending a larger, more open-minded, real UNIVERSITY.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2007