StudentsReview :: Furman University - Comments and Student Experiences

Wake Forest University -- Winston-Salem, NC
Davidson College -- Davidson, NC

Mashed potatoes and gravy? My ass! I don'tNot so bright
Mashed potatoes and gravy? My ass! I don't think they serve more than pickles at this rat's nest. Fried chicken once a day for a meal? Yes, that's after you've spent four years in this dump, after which you get the privilege of gaining access to the delectable poultry. Admittedly, the food is not a selling point. So the professors are, you might wonder. Well, the truth is they are not! That is unless you aim to learn more about human sexuality! Oh yes, student-teacher relationships are not only permitted but they are often required for class. Rumor has it that lectures often consist of group activities. Additionally, inspired by the running of the bulls in Pamplona, professors and students here often engage in 'the run.' Professors often require students to rip off their blouses, burn their undergarments and run nude throughout the campus, for days without showering or sleeping. Those who fail to do so have the option of being whipped by donkey tails or doing a series of naked cartwheels in the fountain. I guess the only thing to say is that if this sounds of interest for you then I guess this is the school for you. Otherwise, watch out, be clear and prepare to march in the nude. Gitchy gitchy ya ya whooopeeeee!
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
I live in California and I had neverEconomics
I live in California and I had never heard of Furman until I began my college applications. I began to look more into it and realized how strong their academic program was. The campus looked amazing and it seemed like everyone there would be really nice. Within the first month I regretted coming to this place. It is filled with a bunch of arrogant, closed-minded people. The people were incredibly self absorbed and thought so highly of themselves just because they had money. The atmosphere reminded me of a pathetic middle school. There were cliques of people including the jocks, nerds, mean girls etc. It was absolutely pathetic. These kids were stuck in their little "bubble" of conceitedness and they acted like a bunch of jerkoff middle school kids trying to be in the "popular" group. The party scene was absolutely pathetic. If you like partying even a LITTLE, DO NOT COME HERE. I went to several of the frat parties and they reminde!

d me of my 6th grade dances. Many of the people I talked to had never had a beer in their lives and frowned upon drinking. (They probably could have used a few beers to help get the stick out of their asses and have a little fun). Im not saying you have to drink to have fun, but honestly, the only way these pathetic parties would be fun was if you drank. The few kids that did drink thought they were SOOO cool because they drank and were considered totally "Badass". Truly PATHETIC. If you like to spend your weekends playing video games and gossiping about stupid shit, come to Furman, you will fit in perfectly. otherwise stay AWAY. I left after one semester and transferred to San Diego State University last month. I finally don't have to deal with the gay middle school drama that revolves around Furman. When those people graduate they are going to have no idea how to adapt to the real world. These kids have been sheltered all their lives and will continue to be througho!

ut their time at Furman. At SDSU I have experienced more in a !
month than I would have all 4 years at Furman. The parties are better, I can be independent, I am not sheltered like a little kid, the people are nice, normal, and diverse, and I am not trapped in a bubble with a bunch of egotistical assholes. Save yourself and do not go to Furman!!!

I thought Furman was what I was lookingArt & Design Department
I thought Furman was what I was looking for in a college. I was wrong.
The quality of education is decent; people like to complain about the workload as if it is the hardest thing in the world, and while there is a *lot* of work, I wouldn't say the actual difficulty of it is as impossible as you might hear. It's more that you have to be willing to put in a whole lot of time. The phrase "Ivy League of the South" gets thrown around a fair bit, which is kind of silly.

Classes were a mixed bag, with a fair few average professors but also some truly wonderful ones; things can sometimes get frustrated by either the handful of bad professors (come on, every school's got 'em), or more often the students in the classes themselves.

The main thing about Furman, to me, is how very superficial it is. Everything looks wonderful on the surface, from the carefully maintained campus grounds to the girls dressed in heels and pearls at their 8 a.m. classes. As others have said, this school looks great on paper, and is fantastic at selling itself through tours and pamphlets, but the reality is mixed. There is very little diversity in the student body, and this grated on me more and more with every passing year. A lot of rich, conservative, ultrareligious kids. Growing up in the South, I thought I was used to being in the minority just because I was a liberal, but Furman took that feeling to a whole new level. Complete socioeconomic and cultural monotony. The nickname "The Bubble" is very deserved; Furman is its own little world. I went stir-crazy enough that my first job after school was in another country entirely, and I burned out on academia despite previous plans to stay in school for a very long time.

The school administration is most concerned with two things: looking fantastic and glossy from the outside, and obtaining as much money as possible. The leaps in tuition increases just over four years were absolutely insane; scholarships are given in fixed amounts, so although I went in on a half-ride, I left on about a quarter-ride. There are a lot of expensive beautification projects - and granted, the campus is gorgeous, but we used to joke about how half our tuition went straight to the industrial-strength leaf blowers and a few more swans for the lake.

I can't say my experience was completely bad. I liked my department a lot - I actually had never planned to pick that major but got sucked in, while my original department of choice was a disappointment - and I did have a small but close circle of like-minded friends that probably kept me from transferring out to another university. My life would be radically different right now had I gone elsewhere. But if I could do it again I would probably choose a different university. Certainly I don't recommend this school to people without reservations.Think very, very carefully about what you value in a college experience before coming here.

Compare FurmanSave Furman