StudentsReview :: Furman University - Comments and Student Experiences

Wake Forest University -- Winston-Salem, NC
Davidson College -- Davidson, NC

Furman University

I thought this school would be perfect.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I thought this school would be perfect. I wanted a small liberal arts school in the south. I have always been extremely conservative so Furman seemed perfect. I also wasn't looking to be too challenged academically, and as we all know, Furman academics are a joke. But I arrived on campus and was immediately disappointed. First of all, the girls here are hideous. The few pretty girls are quickly ruined by the gossip of the majority of the girls, the ugly and jealous ones. It is honestly depressing to walk around this campus, not only because of the ugly girls (do you know what it is like not seeing a pretty girl for weeks?) but also because of the poor upkeep of the grounds. Although it is a beautiful campus, the grounds crew does a terrible job keeping it that way. There are many areas of dead grass, weeds grow through the walkways and the gardens grow wildly. There is also so sense of community on campus. The faculty honestly do not interact with the students outside of the classroom. I have said hello to many of my professors in passing and have yet to receive a reply, so although my classes are small, it doesn't mean we connect with our professors. Even my advisor has been of little help. He has refused to meet with me regarding academics, and when I did show up in his office, he began to yell at me and kicked me out of his office. There is also no school pride on campus. The stands are empty at football games, mainly because our football team is pathetic, and most people are embarrassed to attend Furman. I refuse to wear the Furman purple. But all of this I think I could live with. It would be livable. But, when you put the students onto the campus it is even worse. When I think conservative, I think of wealthy kids in polos, not church going, purity ring wearing southerners who frown upon all forms of fun. There are kids here who refuse to kiss girls until marriage....It is actually absurd. And then the parties are terrible too. The few parties that are thrown on the weekends are small and it is usually more fun to find a few kids and go drink in your room. Of course there are Resident Advisors going room to room trying to catch kids drinking, and you will be punished when you are caught. I feel like I have been rambling, actually I know that I have been. But I really just want people to know that this school is a joke. It isn't fun and it isn't challenging. The girls are gross, and the guys are lame. I am embarrassed to be here and hope that this deters someone else from making the same mistake that I did.
1st Year Male -- Class 2012
Campus Aesthetics: A, Social Life: F
I've read some of the negative reviews onQuite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I've read some of the negative reviews on here, and the great majority appear unfounded. Furman is an oustanding liberal arts university, with challenging classes taught by extremely intelligent and skilled professors, gorgeous surroundings, and remarkable people. As for the "close-minded" description, I'm a liberal from Chicago, and I've yet to experiene this supposed epidemic of conservative arrogance. Certainly, this is a southern school through and through. It's in South Carolina for christs sake. This state has voted for a Republican president in every election this century. All too often conservatism is innacurately described as "close-minded." This is a amazing chool, with a very active greek system which provides plenty of social opportunities. If given the opportunity, I would certainly return to Furman.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2007
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Faculty Accessibility: A-
Upon coming to Furman 2 years ago, IQuite BrightArt & Design Department
Upon coming to Furman 2 years ago, I thought it would be just what I wanted: a small liberal arts school with a great music dept., strong academics, a good reputation, and a beautiful campus. Furman is all of those things, indeed. However, as I have grown as an individual over these last years I have begun to realize that this was not the right choice for me. Sure, it looks good on paper, but it's not what it seems. Classes at Furman are ridiculously hard, and many a professor picks "favorites". I have been stuck with a B- GPA for the past year (despite hours on end of studying) and it's not budging, while many of my ditzier friends seem to always get A's and B+'s. Be prepared for frustration: the equation "worker harder and you'll do better" does not apply at Furman. The student body here is very white and Southern Baptist, and generally very boring. Girls go to classes perfectly coiffed, complete with pearls and heels. The social life here is, well, nonexistent. I frequently come back to campus at 10 or 11 at night and can't find a parking space because NO ONE EVER LEAVES. Your only hope of having a social life and fitting in is joining a greek organization. Sure, I have friends, but I have felt for two years like I don't belong just 'cause I'm an independent. Of course Furman requires everyone to live on campus for 4 years, but doesn't allow students (even those of age) to possess alcohol. The administration refuses to allow condoms to be distributed anywhere on campus, including the Infirmary, because it refuses to acknowledge that students here have sex. Sexual violence, esp. date rape, is a problem here (as it is many other campuses), but Furman seems to try to hide the statistics from its students and offers little support for victims (the worse disciplinary action against a date rapist was a $500 fine). Furman truly is unlike the real world, and is little preparation for a life in it. This idealistic "bubble" is really Hell with a pretty facade. The academic frustration and mentality of the administration and most students here has completely drained me of motivation, interest, and a desire to learn. Furman will suck you dry, emotionally, mentally, and financially. I regret not attending a larger, more open-minded, real UNIVERSITY.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2007