StudentsReview ™ :: The University of South Carolina Columbia - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of South Carolina Columbia

So first a little background about me

Jan 20 2014Political Science
So first a little background about me. I'm currently a junior at the university majoring in Int'l Studies and minoring in German and Russian lang. with a 3.9 GPA. I was born in raised in South Carolina, but I most definitely do not fit the stereotype of a student at this school. More blatantly put, I do not fit at this school at all. USC was the only in state university I applied to (I only applied because my parents went here as graduate students, my dad for undergrad as well), all of the others having been out of state universities, mostly up north. I decided to stay in state after high school to save a little money, but I can tell you it WAS NOT worth it.

First off, even though this is a negative review, I'd like to begin with the positives of this place. The most positive attribute of this university are the faculty members. I have not yet met a single faculty member that I haven't absolutely loved. If this school has any redeeming factors, the faculty is really the only one. As long as you actually care about your education (and you should since you're shelling out $$$ for it), they will go to the end of the earth to help you grasp each and every concept they teach you in class. Even the grad students I've had have been phenomenal. Most of the classes I've had have been relevant and also challenging, but not impossibly so. Another great aspect of the school is the Study Abroad office. They're extremely helpful and have wonderful Study Abroad programs. I myself am doing a year long exchange to Germany starting this Fall, not only because I love Germany but also to GTFO out of this hell hole ASAP. Other than the great academics and fantastic study abroad programs, there are a couple other redeeming qualities. The campus is nice and so are some of the dorms. I lived on the Horseshoe freshman year and really liked it. But other dorms (such as Bates) are complete shitholes. Those are all of the positives I can think of right now.

Now for the negatives. The biggest negative I can think of right now is the football program. There is so much money wasted on the football program that needs to be directed to other areas (like rebuilding the campus buildings that actually matter, not putting a new electric sign on their big ass football stadium). Also, Greek life is another huge negative. Only about 35% of the population is Greek, but it really feels more like 95-98%. This school attracts a very specific type of student. The students here are very into football, all of that "southern culture" bullshit, fratty clothes, and assloads of alcohol (many students here I'm convinced have a serious alcohol problem; my roommate and hallmates are generally hammered 5 nights out of the week). If you do not fit this stereotype, are not purposefully seeking this culture, are a more liberal/open minded person, actually are interested in other real, more interesting things, and actually like to hold legitimate conversations on topics that actually matter and not about Clowney's performance in the last game, then you are going to have a really hard time here. Seriously, if - like me - you don't identify with any of those things that I just listed, you're going to be miserable. It's just the way it is. Other than that, the lack of decent student organizations besides Greek life is another major negative. I personally volunteer around the city of Columbia just because there aren't any on campus organizations where I can really get involved. Lastly, the food sucks too. Most of Russell house is made up of overpriced fast food.So there you have it; those are my positives and negatives. The crucial thing in my opinion is to make sure that you fit the stereotype of the typical student of this school. If you do, you'll have a blast here. If you don't, you'll be ready to blast yourself halfway through junior year. Whatever school whoever is reading this review goes with, good luck!

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Individual Value: F

I spent one year at USC

Aug 18 2013Unknown
I spent one year at USC. I made lots of friends and enjoyed the social scene a great deal. I am not going back because I do not believe the overall quality of the education merits the $37,000 out-of-state costs.
University Resource Use: A, Individual Value: D

God I hated this school

Dec 26 2012Unknown
God I hated this school. I thought college was supposed to be awesome but it def wasn't for me. I consider myself a chill, friendly and very open minded person. SC is one of the most closed minded places to be at and very conservative. If your out of state like me (TN) then I would really be careful and make sure you want to live where blacks and whites rarely hangout together. (i never did and half my friends in tn are black) another thing, I got into the capstone program which is a joke and lived in the capstone building. (big mistake) it is patrolled by RMs and is one of the most strict dorms on campus. If u want to drink or anything in a dorm I suggest somewhere else. The parties are fun first two weeks but after that if your not in a frat and don't rlly know ppl you probly won't party very often. I quit USC after my first semester there with no regrets. Also everyone wears pretty similar clothes, boat shoes and collar tees a lot for guys. Not much variety. All the friends I made there were out of state also. I'm from Chattanooga TN and I met about 3 total ppl in my whole first semester from Tennessee... Odd. Bottom line: if your from SC you'll probly enjoy it but if your personally more liberal/open minded person then I would stay away from this school.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016