StudentsReview :: The University of South Carolina Columbia - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of South Carolina Columbia

All complaints I really have of USC could

Jul 22 2014Accounting
All complaints I really have of USC could really be applied to any big state school. My biggest two complaints are about the housing and parking situations. Students applying to USC - beware! - you probably won't get on campus housing your second year. It's not a huge deal; there are a ton of awesome off-campus housing options that are full of students. It worked out fine for me, but this news came as a total shock and was stressful because I live 500 miles away!

However, next year I have to buy a parking pass (really? you kick me off-campus and make me pay to go to class?) when THERE ARE NO PARKING SPACES. The majority of students commute, so USC decided to take away a whole parking lot.

If you live on-campus and are bringing your car, it is worth your money to buy a garage pass.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C

If anyone from 2014 is reading this please

May 19 2014Unknown
If anyone from 2014 is reading this please make sure to look through all of these comments CAREFULLY!!! The only reason this school has the positive rating that it does on this site is because most of the comments are from the early 2000's. This school used to be great. I have heard many wonderful stories...from the 80's and 90's. Now....not so much. Please be careful when making your decision.

I am currently a freshman international business &

Oct 07 2014Finance
I am currently a freshman international business & finance major. The quality of the program is outstanding and is ranked #1 in the country. The business school in general is pretty great too. I think the business school is pretty much what keeps USC afloat. The other academics are sub par compared to the business. The faculty are also outstanding. I love USC, but I don't really love the students. Many are stuck up and "fratty". Despite the large out of state population, especially from Maryland and New Jersey, out of state students, especially yakees are disliked. Much of the culture here revolves around drinking, sex, and football. But know that USC is a bar school, not a party school, so a fake ID is a requirement to have a decent social life. I have made about 2 friends here because most people are not very approachable and friendly and many want to remain friends with their high school friends. It is difficult for me to start conversations because i'm shy, but many people don't start conversations with me because I am not just like them and the rest of the students here.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018